Mothering Forum banner

Enter to Win a Homeschool Curriculum and Gift Basket from Oak Meadow!

16K views 595 replies 396 participants last post by  Jawil 
#1 ·

This giveaway is closed. Thank you to everyone who entered and to Oak Meadow Curriculum and School for the wonderful prizes!

The randomly chosen winner of the curriculum is Mothering member "mra" and the winner of the gift basket is member "Patternfall." You will both be contacted through your member profiles. Congrats!!

Enter to Win this Great Giveaway from Oak Meadow Curriculum and School!

First Prize: A complete homeschool curriculum package for one PreK-8 grade of your choice (value: $120-$420). Winner of the Best-of-Mothering award, Oak Meadow's uniquely creative curriculum includes assignments that ask children to read, write, and think, and also to paint, draw, play music, write poetry, and build things, encouraging balanced and healthy development.

Second Prize: A gift basket inspired by our latest Arts In Education journal. Includes these Oak Meadow Bookstore bestsellers: The Heart of Learning, Book of Nature Crafts, Main Lesson Book Kit, Beeswax Crayons, Modeling Beeswax (Value: $90).

To Enter:

1) If you haven't already, please make sure you http://www.facebook.com/oakmeadow"like" Oak Meadow on Facebook and are a fan of http://www.facebook.com/mothering.magazineMothering on our Facebook page.

2) Post your own answer to the question "Why homeschool?" on this thread. For inspiration, be sure to visit Oak Meadow's NEW VIDEO featuring homeschooling families and students. (Note: your answer could be included in a future issue of Oak Meadow's popular Living Education Journal).

3) Your name will be entered a second time if you share this blog post and leave a second comment letting us know that you did!

About Oak Meadow:

An Oak Meadow curriculum package offers a full year's worth of engaging assignments, creative projects, and uniquely flexible weekly lesson plans. If you're looking for some homeschool inspiration, you'll love their hands-on math projects, out-of-the-ordinary science experiments, and writing challenges that spark the imagination.

In addition to purchasing Oak Meadow curriculum, families also have the option to enroll in Oak Meadow School for a fully accredited distance learning experience with expert faculty support and official school transcripts.

To find out if Oak Meadow is right for you, you can review grade-specific curriculum samples or call 802-251-7250 to speak with a friendly and knowledgeable Oak Meadow Educational Counselor.

Rules:

This giveaway runs until Jan 30, 2013. Please read the full rules before entry.

See less See more
#253 ·
Why homeschool? Because we can tailor the learning environment to suit our daughter. The alternatives here for her were not conductive to her special needs and we want to give her every tool for success. She's incredibly bright but her sensory issues make it so that she would have a hard time in a typical classroom setting, at home we can meet those needs and allow her to pursue whatever topic she's interested in without worrying that she'd be labeled a "problem child" or "disruptive."

#258 ·
Why Homeschool?

My two youngest are now 6 and 7, DH and I had planned on homeschooling since before they were born. Homeschooling allows us freedom to pursue parallel interests, to move ahead, to focus on something a bit longer; it affords me daily quality time with my children and allows us all the excitement of discovery.

#263 ·
I homeschool because I don't believe in the 'one fits all approach' in schools where kids do not get enough play and hands on learning time. I want to let my children experience the world through play and art, hands on, with an open and exquisitve mind. I want to teach critical thinking and instill a love for learning and life. I want them to experience nature and human connection to the world around us. I want them to be children for as long as they can...

#268 ·
The joy that comes when they are in the mud doing sciences, in the kitchen leaning math and best of all they don't even know it. Listening to them talk to their friend about things I don't think many kids their age talk about. The eagerness that is on their faces when we read our books about Greece or Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. So way to I Home school my family? I home school them to give them what they need that no one can give them Love of a Mother.

posted it on facebook

#269 ·
We homeschool for the freedom. Freedom to learn what we want, when we want, where we want, and how we want to. For the freedom to explore new places and ideas, and the freedom to sit just quietly when we need that too. We homeschool because we love our family and we like being together. We homeschool because we want to be able to enjoy our own activities and experiences without sacrificing family time.

#272 ·
Why? You don't have to get up early. You can start your school day when your children are ready to learn. You never have to wonder what they are learning about. Your kids learn how to get along with people of all ages not just the kids their own age.

#274 ·
We home school because I really like the person that my children are becoming and I want to be a large part of creating that beautiful spirit instead of spending all of my time undoing what was done at school.

#275 ·
The last day our oldest son was in public school he came home off of the school bus with a black eye and swollen lip. When asking our son about this he said that at morning recess he had slipped on ice and hit the gravel with his face. Upon contacting the school no adult in the building had noticed or known about what happened. This was upsetting to us, we knew there was no big deal but for no person in the school to notice a child with a bruise and swollen lip, was outrageous.

That day on all 3 of our children have been home schooled.

We teach our children basic life skills, manners, respect, survival as well as academics. In the time they have been home schooled i have been told we have some of the most polite children, they are always asked to visit again, they all participate in their community actively and genuinely enjoy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.