Mothering Forum banner

Enter to Win a Homeschool Curriculum and Gift Basket from Oak Meadow!

16K views 595 replies 396 participants last post by  Jawil 
#1 ·

This giveaway is closed. Thank you to everyone who entered and to Oak Meadow Curriculum and School for the wonderful prizes!

The randomly chosen winner of the curriculum is Mothering member "mra" and the winner of the gift basket is member "Patternfall." You will both be contacted through your member profiles. Congrats!!

Enter to Win this Great Giveaway from Oak Meadow Curriculum and School!

First Prize: A complete homeschool curriculum package for one PreK-8 grade of your choice (value: $120-$420). Winner of the Best-of-Mothering award, Oak Meadow's uniquely creative curriculum includes assignments that ask children to read, write, and think, and also to paint, draw, play music, write poetry, and build things, encouraging balanced and healthy development.

Second Prize: A gift basket inspired by our latest Arts In Education journal. Includes these Oak Meadow Bookstore bestsellers: The Heart of Learning, Book of Nature Crafts, Main Lesson Book Kit, Beeswax Crayons, Modeling Beeswax (Value: $90).

To Enter:

1) If you haven't already, please make sure you http://www.facebook.com/oakmeadow"like" Oak Meadow on Facebook and are a fan of http://www.facebook.com/mothering.magazineMothering on our Facebook page.

2) Post your own answer to the question "Why homeschool?" on this thread. For inspiration, be sure to visit Oak Meadow's NEW VIDEO featuring homeschooling families and students. (Note: your answer could be included in a future issue of Oak Meadow's popular Living Education Journal).

3) Your name will be entered a second time if you share this blog post and leave a second comment letting us know that you did!

About Oak Meadow:

An Oak Meadow curriculum package offers a full year's worth of engaging assignments, creative projects, and uniquely flexible weekly lesson plans. If you're looking for some homeschool inspiration, you'll love their hands-on math projects, out-of-the-ordinary science experiments, and writing challenges that spark the imagination.

In addition to purchasing Oak Meadow curriculum, families also have the option to enroll in Oak Meadow School for a fully accredited distance learning experience with expert faculty support and official school transcripts.

To find out if Oak Meadow is right for you, you can review grade-specific curriculum samples or call 802-251-7250 to speak with a friendly and knowledgeable Oak Meadow Educational Counselor.

Rules:

This giveaway runs until Jan 30, 2013. Please read the full rules before entry.

See less See more
#528 ·
I homeschool because I was not thrilled with the public school system. I saw what was taught by volunteering and figured I could do the same or maybe even better. I of course supplement what I do with social activities like PE, one day a week coop school, field trips, museum homeschool classes, etc. We are having fun even though not every day is a walk in the park. I love having my children with me daily as I know homeschooling will not be a forever thing but a right now thing. :)

#530 ·
We homeschool so that we have the freedom to learn, grow, and explore (as individuals and as a family) whenever we want and where ever we want. We place great importance on fostering a deep desire for lifetime learning as well as a strong family environment. We like each other and we like learning, homeschooling is perfect!

#535 ·
I want to homeschool because I want to have a closer bond with my children than parents who just ship their kids off to school every day. I want to have more control over what they learn. I want my children to have a more quality education. Education quality has gone way down from things like no child left behind. I want my children to have a more classical education.I also believe schools can teach children whatever they want and it may be something I don't agree with. I want to be able to teach my kids one on one and to their special learning style.

#537 ·
Why homeschool?Because there is this magic that happens when your kids start learning something new and you are the one who has shared in that moment, that excitement with them. I would not want to give that opportunity to some random stranger. There are soooo many other reasons to homeschool, but this is the one that makes my heart sing!

#539 ·
We homeschool as a way to keep family focused & centralized! Also of importance is freedom; the ability to cater to each child's individual needs & interests, the possibility to turn everything into a learning opportunity, the availability of road trips and vacations, the access to a variety of enrichment activities.

But really, the reasons are infinite!

#542 ·
We are considering homeschooling our children so that we can nurture their creative spirits, instill a love of learning, promote critical thinking and immerse them in nature. I also enjoy experiencing the joy they get from learning and discovering, too much of our world is geared towards killing children's curiosity in order to make sure that they pass a test.

#544 ·
We homeschool for so many reasons. Just to name a few: we want a loving, caring environment for our children, at all times; we hope to have our children retain the natural love of learning that they were born with; we want our children to be valued as individuals and treated with respect at all times; we want our children's questions to be able to be asked and answered; we want our children to be able to help guide their education; we want our children to get a well-rounded education, rich with arts and movement; we want to be around our children as much as possible; we want to be free from grades and constant tests; we want to be free from rewards and punishments and surround our children with unconditional love and nurturing; we want our children to be able to learn outside of four walls; we want to make learning fun, and with homeschooling, we believe we can accomplish these goals and more. No one cares more, knows them better or will try harder than we will, to teach our children. Oak Meadow provides us with the curriculum that we desire, to meet our needs. We are so thankful to have found Oak Meadow to use on our schooling journey. *Jessica

#546 ·
Why homeschool? Ours is a story of a sweet little boy being sent to public school for kindergarten and first grade. And in both, the phone calls from the teacher came: "He just can't pay attention." "Are you sure he should be in this grade?" "He won't focus." "He is a sweet boy, but..." These and other things/incidents were clear signs that I needed to consider homeschooling and now at the end of our first year of learning at home We Love It for so many reasons: I get to see the ah-ha moments. He is not distracted. We can work on character traits throughout the day together. No more negative influences that we cannot filter out. A little boy who can do math with pebbles as his manipulatives, study history at historic sites, and learn science by the side of a stream.

#548 ·
We will homeschool because we just work better as a family when we spend our days together. My son is finishing a year in preschool and I can't wait to start homeschooling in the Fall. When he is home with us, his patience, love, and joy toward his brother and me grow immensely. He is also having problems feeling excluded by his "friends" at school. He deserves to spend his days in an environment of inclusion!

#549 ·
My desire to homeschool my child has been as much an evolution of myself as a mother as a person. I learned about Oak Meadow 10 years ago and before I even contemplated motherhood. I knew this always felt authentic to me yet so many factors in my life, including the lack of support from family, has made it difficult for me to take the leap of faith. As a single mother, having the "village" to support you on your journey is crucial in so many ways. Nonetheless, this year and this time, we are making it happen. Public school has done its number on my little one and we are DONE. We will face many challenges and ALOT of opposition, of this I am sure. I know that many close to me disagree with my choice and I am facing a backlash of negativity. That being said, I know and feel that that choices I make that resonate from deep within are the RIGHT choices. I am really excited to get started on this journey with Oak Meadow and extremely grateful for the camaraderie and community I have here with all of you. :)

#551 ·
We are homeschooling our son because we want him to be free to learn at his own pace. We want his imagination to flourish and not be stifled by the rules of school. We want our child to be able to do his work while standing and moving if that is how he is comfortable. We also believe homeschooling/life learning provides better socialization.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.