Homeschool Conferences - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anyone recommend REALY good homeschool conventions?  We like to travel, so they can be anywhere.

DH and I are looking at one in Cincinnati OH on April 5th.  Details are at greathomeschoolconventions.com.  They do this one in South Caroline too.  Has anyone ever been? 

There is no schedule of workshops yet, so it's hard to tell if we will like it.  Dh particually likes that Ron Paul will be speaking there.

I've been to several around Chicago.  There is one held at a big church in Naperville, IL that is "okay" in my opinion.  The focus seems to be more on religion than homeschooling in my opinion. We do use Sonlight curriculum which has a lot of religion in it, but I still don't prefer mostly religious conventions.

I really like the "In-Home Conference" that has been hosted in Saint Charles, IL in March.  While it wasn't the biggest conference I've been to, the workshops for the kids were awesome!  And I liked that there were a lot of presentations on unschooling too.  Religion was not the focus at all.  The only place it was lacking was that it had a very small expo. Unfortunately this conference isn't being held this year.

Can anyone give me fedback on that conference in OH, or recommend another good one?  Thanks!

Mom to 5 amazing kids! (DS8, DS7, DD4, DD2 and DS0)

#2 of 3 Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've been to a couple of these and they were pretty good but I get the feeling that they are more fun when you know the people so if you go to one year after year then you and your kids will have friends that you & they look forward to meeting.

There are some funny chapters in The Year of Learning Dangerously about the author's experience attending a few hs conferences.  She goes alone - which is unusual, since most people come as a family.  

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#3 of 3 Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I went to the Cincy one last year and I'm going this year again. I like holding the books in my hand to look through. Also, there are some great speakers-even for secular homeschoolers.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page