Parents - What are your thoughts on the iPhone / iPad as an educational tool? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-26-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone!

I am hoping to get a feel for how other parents are using the iPhone/iPad as an educational tool for their kid(s). It seems like there are a ton of options to keep track of: edu games in the Apple App Store, eBooks, videos on the web like Khan Academy, etc.

If you use anything like this, is it a pain to find the good stuff? 

#2 of 4 Old 01-27-2013, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I personally love the iPad. We subscribe to brainpop, reading rainbow and far faria. The kids love them all. There are endless educational games and activities. I use it myself too, for reading and listening to the radio. it is portable and easy to operate for the kids. I just can't say enough things about it.
#3 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 01:24 AM

We also have a free Brainpop and Brainpop Jr app. I got in early on Reading Rainbow's subscription. $60/ year is totally worth it to me. I have apps for space since we're working on astronomy, "school" apps for math and other miscellaneous items. I think I have a ton of PDFs- from free google books to curricula. The kids do homework paperless on it - right now math, grammar, and science. I'm hoping to add in Latin sometime in the next year. We can also watch items on YouTube (I have an iPad 2 and haven't upgraded the OS yet.). I also have lesson plans on it. I just love it and hope we can get a second one soon so I can have the kids work on math simultaneously, or at least have them available simultaneously.
#4 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 04:43 AM

I love using our iPad for educational apps- and most of the time I can just type into the search feature in the Appstore what I am looking for, and find something.  We just got done reorganizing our iPad to divide the apps into folders by subject.  I only regret that I have downloaded too many free ones that cluttered up our pad.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09

Tags
Education , Learning Resources

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page