Which Explode the Code book for a child that's already reading? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-31-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 6 and is just starting out reading, has been sounding words out pretty well for the past couple of months and actually reading sentences with easy sight words, and even surprising me sometimes with easily sounding out words that seem a bit more challenging. I plan to continue working with him and though I don't know if I want I want to teach him every grammatical rule per se, I want him to be able to read with ease and know the exceptions to rules. He is a very independant, kinesthetic type learner, and he doesn't seem to enjoy me "lecturing" about rules and such(but what kid does, I guess, ha) ~ and he really doesn't even enjoy doing workbook pages but for the most part he has been doing one a day and they have really helped him progress. Explode the Code looks like a bit more fun than a typical workbook, so I thought he might enjoy that, I'm just wondering if I should start at the beginning with Book 1, since he is already reading some, or if anyone has any other suggestions for workbooks or other resources, I would greatly appreciate any feedback or sharing of experiences. :-)

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#2 of 3 Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 AM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

If he is confident in sounding out CVC words (consonant, vowel, consonant), then I would start with book 2.  Book 2 adds in beginning and ending blends, for example: skip, grub, bump, ask, etc.  Book three does a bigger leap, so unless he was super good at sounding out words, I wouldn't start with book 3.  I would let him get the feel of the series with book 2 even if I didn't have him do all the pages.  

There is also Explode the Code online; you mention that he isn't usually a fan of workbooks, so I thought I would mention it.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 3 Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks AAK!! I've been contemplating the online ETC....I think he would enjoy that more, but I really struggle with limiting screen time as it is, and I like that these type of workbooks enable him to practice reading and handwriting. So I thought we would try one ETC workbook to see if he does well with that, and then maybe opt to do the online part instead of getting book 3. :-) Thanks for the suggestion, though!

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page