High School HS question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-12-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How does it work if a child starts high school by homeschooling, and then transfers to a 'real' high school later on?  Without official transcripts I wonder how the local high school would place her, if say she were to transfer over for her sophomore year.  I suspect it isn't as easy as me going in there saying "she's a sophomore"...

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?  

Just trying to anticipate and plan for my daughter's future flip-floppiness :)

#2 of 5 Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

High school isn't age based, its credit based. Students earn credits for specific  subjects. Highschools have the right to determine how to count what the student did before they came.

Generally, high schools only accept credit from "regionally accredited" schools.  There are ways to get that credit with homestudy by using on-line or coorespdence schools that are regiounally accredited.

However, there is a difference between being "accredited" and being "regionally accredited."  It comes down to who accredited the program, and if the high school recognizes the accrediting agency. If you are considering this path, it would be wise to check out who accredited the homestudy classes you are considering and find out if the major highschools where you live accept their credits.This is the tricky fine print that could screw things up.

There are homeschooling umbrella schools that create transcripts for homeschools based on what the parent said the child did, but these schools, even though they may be "accredited," are not usually "regionally accredited."

Another option is to homeschool for the beginning of highschool, and then attend junior college rather than highschool when ready for more formal study.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 5 Old 02-15-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Eh, I'm not interested in doing an accredited program, even though I know it makes things easier if you anticipate a transfer or applications to college.

I guess what I was asking was how open public high schools are to evaluating and accepting alternative forms of education-  No transcripts, just perhaps (our) records and portfolios of her studies and learning experiences.  

I have heard of homeschoolers taking junior college coursework to gain some credits-  seems to work well as a gateway into college too, without an official diploma or GED.

#4 of 5 Old 02-15-2013, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortune Teller View Post

I guess what I was asking was how open public high schools are to evaluating and accepting alternative forms of education-  No transcripts, just perhaps (our) records and portfolios of her studies and learning experiences.  

I have heard of homeschoolers taking junior college coursework to gain some credits-  seems to work well as a gateway into college too, without an official diploma or GED.

Highschools in general don't accept credit for homeschooling. However, it really doesn't matter what happens "in general."  It only matters how the highschool your DD would be attending would view her studies. Call them.

The community college where I live limits the number of credit hours that can be taken by someone who has neither a diploma or a GED to 15 hours. You should check out your own community college and find out what their policies are.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 5 Old 02-15-2013, 04:51 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

However, it really doesn't matter what happens "in general."  It only matters how the highschool your DD would be attending would view her studies. Call them.

Agree! We were lucky to have a high school that was very receptive to self-led study. They granted my eldest dd credit for a lot of what she had done as an unschooler. I know this isn't something you can count on from all, or even most, high schools, but in our case it worked out really well.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page