Does anyone remember these books? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I read them in the 70's.

One was about a boy named Terry or Terence, and I even think the name of the book was Terence but I can't find it with google. The boy leaves home and lives by himself. I think he builds a shelter for himself by a river or stream.

The other one (this is a long shot) is a picture book and it involved someone making potions. It wasn't Disney or anything like that. I was 6 when I read it, and hid in the closet with the light on reading it over and over when I was supposed to be asleep. It was a library book so I didn't have much time with it. It must have been published in the 60s or early 70s, I think.

#2 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Long shot but it might it be part of this reading scheme- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_and_the_Hidden_People

Tim & Tobias by Sheila McCulough?

Reasonably common in the UK in the 70s.

The only other edgy kids book I can think of with potions and the like is the Dorrie books by Patricia Coombs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Coombs

I WISH they would reissue these, we have a few but they go for crazy prices nowadays

The other book I can think of about a boy leaving home to live by a stream is My Side of the Mountain (and sequels) about a boy named Sam who runs away from home to live on his old family land. My son read that (and was obsessed, seriously obsessed) at around age 7-8 so I guess that's an idea of the reading level. I also read it as a child so I know its from around the 70s/80s or before

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#3 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I cannot remember the name of the book I read in elementary school . . . I just remember the boy hunting partridge at one point.  Will see if I can figure out the title.

Another one is My Side of the Mountain - great story.  You can read summary of chapters here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Side_of_the_Mountain

Now I'm very curious!

Don't have any leads for you on the potions book.

: )

#4 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I loved My Side of the Mountain. That's not it - this one is little known, I think, and was for a bit younger kids than My Side of the Mountain. A little old lady volunteering at the library when I was ten recommended it. I've never heard anyone mention it since then. But it was really good.

I'll check out the links for potion ones.

#5 of 9 Old 02-14-2013, 12:48 PM

just to say, I've always found the abe forums really, really useful for tracking down half forgotten books.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#6 of 9 Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

The abe forums? Do you mean Abraham Hicks?

#7 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

abebooks.com probably

#8 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 01:57 PM

lol yes the abebooks fora.

Back in the dark ages pre amazon's world domination thats where bibliophiles hung out smile.gif

#9 of 9 Old 02-15-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

oh, okay, thank you :)

Although I am not having much luck. I think there are just too many books that have "Terence" in their title.

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page