A survey about Disney Movies and Children's Gender Socialization - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-16-2013, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QPBKYQ3

The study is confidential, voluntary and your responses will remain anonymous. Also, there is a chance to win a $50 dollars Starbucks gift card after completing the survey.

Please take the time (which should take no more than 15 minutes) to complete the survey. 

#2 of 9 Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

A chance to win a $50 dollars Starbucks gift card!

#3 of 9 Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 AM

This survey is quite flawed. There is no option for parents who do not have TV or children who do not watch TV. For many, many questions, you need a not applicable option. Not everyone's children sit in front of the DIsney Channel all day.
dejagerw likes this.
#4 of 9 Old 03-05-2013, 02:02 AM

Totally agree!  I had to leave one entire page empty because it just didn't apply.  I would be curious to see the results between children/families exposed to a lot of Disney versus children/families who aren't. 

#5 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I just did it with my 5yo dd.  I have been concerned that since we moved in with my mom she's been watching way too much Disney, but her gender ideas are very equal and still intact.  So that's nice to know.  

But some of the questions made me realize she's not watching near as much as some children and I try to always talk to her about what she watches and keep it to certain movies. 

#6 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 08:11 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
I too found it very difficult to answer the survey because we have been an almost TV free family with almost no exposure at all to Disney. Lots of the questions just didn't have options that applied to us.

Funnily enough I have made near heroic efforts over the years to avoid exposing my kids to anything Disney, and then darned if their cousins haven't ended up being Disney princesses. As In, working professionally as Disney princess characters at resorts, on tours and aboard cruise ships. My SIL is so proud of them, and then lately we are spammed nearly every day with photos of the cousins coiffed in the full princess regalia. You can choose your kids' toys and videos, but you can't choose your family ...

Miranda
Tjej likes this.

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#7 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

hmmmm as well as the tv aspect there are a lot of leading questions on there about gender attitudes. Its pretty easy to spot what one "ought" to reply.

Also, as a niggle, I don't see why you need my child's first name, gender, AND age. Surely age and gender would be enough.

I couldn't really answer it, tbh, the only Disney my kids have ever seen is Fantasia. Sorry. 

ETA Oh and, my god, seriously, there is a DISNEY channel? Seriously?

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#8 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM

Maybe you should edit the OP to state that this is a survey for parents of children ages 2-11.

My dd doesn't fit that age group.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#9 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

LOL at Miranda...yeah that's how my kid was introduced to Disney too, family.  Unfortunately it happened way earlier than I hoped, but oh well.  I can't change that.  

Fillyjonk..there has been a Disney channel since I was a kid and I actually watched it!  Now there's actually several Disney channels.  The Disney shows are like a million times worse than Disney movies.  

I actually also found some of the questions inappropriate to my situation but just tried to answer to the best of my ability.  As for the questions being "loaded" for an adult to answer definitely.  That's why I asked my daughter to do it with me, mostly cause I was curious as to how she would react to the questions because we don't talk about things like that and she is not at all expectant that there is one way to answer the questions, so I didn't ask her the questions exactly how they were asked on the survey, but in a way she could understand them better.  I'm curious as to how the study turns out, but I also want to maybe go look at who is sponsoring it and what they hope to find.  I'd be happy to see them do a study about rather Disney TV shows make children yell for no reason and think their parents are idiots.  

Tags
Homeschooling , Learning Resources , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page