Just started homeschooling my son i think i have the basics covered except for some literature... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

what books would recomend for a middle scool age boys to read?

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 13 Old 02-21-2013, 09:37 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 52 Post(s)

I'd recommend whatever books grab him, inspire him, fire up his imagination, get him excited about reading. Take him to the library, let him browse, throw some possibilities his way, see what he gravitates to. I would also continue to read aloud to him. If you have books you are passionate about sharing with him, share them that way. Let his independent reading be interest-driven and self-motivated.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 13 Old 02-22-2013, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

uh...I dunno, whatever they want. My 9 year old loves anything with magic in, so harry potter, the hobbit (likes the lord of the rings but not with the same intensity), wizard of earthsea, myths and legends, the northern lights trilogy, diana wynne jones, the narnia books, roald dahl. Some of these I introduced him to but mainly took himself off to the library and browsed, which he loves doing. I'm sure I've forgotten some books in there-and I dont know everything he's read, only what he wanted to talk about- but my point would be, I don't know how much point there is reading because you are supposed to.

Oh he also really liked Swallows and Amazons, the Laura Ingalls Wilder books (which we balanced with serious discussion about the Native Americans and colonisalism, especially given that we are not in the US) and the My Side of the Mountain trilogy, when he was a little younger.

All that said, a while ago we worked through a pretty good book, "deconstructing penguins" (got it from amazon), which goes through the basics of literary construction, but in a very nice way, we used to both read the suggested book and then discuss them at the coffee shop and it taught him the basic language of stuff like plot, character, etc. But it didn't teach him about plot, character etc, reading with interest did that-it just taught him the words to use. I'll certainly be doing it again with my younger kids when they hit nine or so.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#4 of 13 Old 02-23-2013, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies, I really appreciate your insight.

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#5 of 13 Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 AM

I'd definitely try encouraging a few different "types" of books. My middle schooler likes fantasy fiction, of course, but through our family read-aloud time, realized he really enjoys Mark Twain, and that opened him up to classics in general. He still likes to read his fan-fiction sagas, but isn't turned off by the idea of something different now and then.

#6 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 PM

Location: Houston since 2011, Connecticut all the previous USA

I have two sons who are now 15.5 & 12.5. You didn't say what age your son is. First let him pick books that he likes, whatever it is he likes, fantasy, nonfiction, realistic fiction, whatever. Look at book list books or just what comes up on amazon "customers who liked this book also bought" is a great way, or ask your librarian "what is like X book?"

However by grade 6 you might want some gentle literature studies. I recommend the gentle Brave Writer Arrow. You can buy one book study at a time to try it. I think there is a free sample too so you can check it out for free. This starts the way of literature analysis but it's a more gentle discussion with Mom. They sell it also as one a month, that may be too much when starting out for some families. What I am saying is maybe 3-4 in a school year starting in grade 6 as mandatory reading, you pick titles that you think he will like and avoid ones that you suspect he'll dislike. And let all the rest be fun fiction reading. Actually you could do those lit studies as read alouds bc you should also read the book you will discuss...

My kids read before bed every night for 30-60 minutes at that age. They read to unwind. They have not done so well when we got ebooks for Christmas in 2011, I think the blue light is the culprit, it supposedly keeps the brain too awake and alert, and the Kindle apps that they got free, so they were using the ebook reader to play video game apps instead of reading. Sigh. We don't have computers or TV in their bedrooms. I am trying to get them back to reading paper books in bed at night again as it was so good to unwind and to enjoy a book.

Good luck.

ChrustineMM homeschool mother of sons aged 15 & 12 - my blog: http://thethinkingmother.blogspot.com/
#7 of 13 Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinemm View Post

I have two sons who are now 15.5 & 12.5. You didn't say what age your son is. First let him pick books that he likes, whatever it is he likes, fantasy, nonfiction, realistic fiction, whatever. Look at book list books or just what comes up on amazon "customers who liked this book also bought" is a great way, or ask your librarian "what is like X book?"

However by grade 6 you might want some gentle literature studies. I recommend the gentle Brave Writer Arrow. You can buy one book study at a time to try it. I think there is a free sample too so you can check it out for free. This starts the way of literature analysis but it's a more gentle discussion with Mom. They sell it also as one a month, that may be too much when starting out for some families. What I am saying is maybe 3-4 in a school year starting in grade 6 as mandatory reading, you pick titles that you think he will like and avoid ones that you suspect he'll dislike. And let all the rest be fun fiction reading. Actually you could do those lit studies as read alouds bc you should also read the book you will discuss...

My kids read before bed every night for 30-60 minutes at that age. They read to unwind. They have not done so well when we got ebooks for Christmas in 2011, I think the blue light is the culprit, it supposedly keeps the brain too awake and alert, and the Kindle apps that they got free, so they were using the ebook reader to play video game apps instead of reading. Sigh. We don't have computers or TV in their bedrooms. I am trying to get them back to reading paper books in bed at night again as it was so good to unwind and to enjoy a book.

Good luck.

I really appreciate you telling me about brave writer i had never heard of it before, my son hates writing so hopefully something like that will help. My son is 12  He hasnt been reading too much lately other than the diary of a whimpy kid books but those are way tooeasy and hes done with them in a day plus hes read them all. he likes facts a lot just knowing about things makes him happy so im thinking some non fiction would be better for him. Thanks again

#8 of 13 Old 03-01-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

I don't supoose you guys know og any other online programs likebravewriter do you? Ideally things for science and math?

#9 of 13 Old 03-01-2013, 11:44 AM

Have you looked at khanacademy.org?

Miranda

#10 of 13 Old 03-11-2013, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

When I am looking for books for my kids I check out the reading list at www.sonlight.com. It is a Christian site and we are NOT Christian. However, they have really great books there. I read about them on amazon and then decide if they're appropriate for our family. Your son is significantly older than our kids so he would have more say, but perhaps he would be interested in looking at their website to see which books interest him.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#11 of 13 Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 AM

Another non-Christian who thinks Sonlight's novel list can provide some excellent ideas and inspiration. 

Miranda

#12 of 13 Old 03-12-2013, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

sonlight = great books

#13 of 13 Old 03-12-2013, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Middle school boy?   Lord of the Flies for sure, with lots of discussion.

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page