Anyone know where I could find curriculum reviews by kids? - Mothering Forums
Learning at Home and Beyond > Anyone know where I could find curriculum reviews by kids?
stormborn's Avatar stormborn 07:55 PM 02-22-2013
My 11 yo will be using a packaged curriculum for the first time this spring and would like to get opinions from kids who have used them. She's been mostly unschooled until now and we delay formal academics longer than most, so this is a new experience for us. smile.gif

I did find the homeschoolreviews website to be helpful but dd really wants another kid's perspective, especially since the ones we like are so expensive! I don't want to spend a ton of $ and find ourselves stuck with something she hates.

TIA!

onlyzombiecat's Avatar onlyzombiecat 10:17 PM 02-22-2013

I don't know of a site with reviews just from kids.

Maybe if you list the ones you are looking at we could get our kids to give their input for you here.

stormborn's Avatar stormborn 12:05 PM 02-25-2013
Thanks!
Right now it's down to Oak Meadow or Calvert but we're open to suggestion; I'm sure there are some I don't know about. My main goal is something that dd can more or less direct herself.
I was surprised not to find any. I can't be the only one who can't spend that much with the risk that it'll be all wrong! Maybe by middle school everyone else has it worked out already.
Nursingnaturalmom's Avatar Nursingnaturalmom 08:54 PM 02-28-2013

I have done both OM and Calvert.  We are doing Calvert this year for grades 3 and 5.  My almost 11 year old likes it for the most part.  It is a pretty hefty work load (4-6 hours a day) but its complete and a good, challenging .  Next year we plan on switching a few things up, because Peyton likes that.

Calvert and OM are about as different as one can get i think.

stormborn's Avatar stormborn 09:48 PM 03-03-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post

I have done both OM and Calvert.  We are doing Calvert this year for grades 3 and 5.  My almost 11 year old likes it for the most part.  It is a pretty hefty work load (4-6 hours a day) but its complete and a good, challenging .  Next year we plan on switching a few things up, because Peyton likes that.

Calvert and OM are about as different as one can get i think.

Do you go year round? In your experience is it easy to adjust the schedule to fit your needs? Dd has a fair amount of outside commitments (art & music) and I really don't think we could swing that much time per day.
Nursingnaturalmom's Avatar Nursingnaturalmom 08:42 AM 03-13-2013

we school from September-July.

Tags: Homeschooling
Up