What subject do you find hardest to teach to your children? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was wondering what subject you find hardest to teach to your kids (age/grade)?  If you are homeschooling more than one is it the same for both?  Has it changed over time? Do you think it is because they struggle with it or you struggle with it?

I was thinking about this as we work this morning.  Ds (10 yo/5th grade) is on a much better track than he had been recently.  We ordered a new Math series (Life of Fred) and our home education program is turning around.  It is funny because he gets math, but is a bear to keep working through the steps of solving problems more easily. I now am using that and keeping him doing daily practice in the Sylvan Super Math.  Now I am back to realizing it is harder to teach him good writing skills!  Last year I had 2 at home (12/7th and 9/4th) and the older one was doing math that was too hard for me (Long story!) so that was by far our toughest subject and getting the younger one to write was toughest (both skill and muscle strength).  I guess some things change and some stay the same. ;)

#2 of 3 Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 AM
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

For us it bounces back and forth between history and english.  

With history, I have had good years, but as the kids have gotten older I feel like I am dropping the ball.  I haven't liked any of the curriculums out there.  I do like doing my own thing (usually with library materials).  That works really well with US History, world cultures, and other small themes.  However, it doesn't work well with ancient history, middle ages, or other time periods if I want a "big picture".  If I want to just do middle ages in England, our library is great.  They just neglect the rest of the world for that time period.  I also rarely require my kids to learn much geography.  I have taught map skills so they can use a map, but they don't know much world geography.  Neither do I, for that matter.  

Currently English is going fine.  It is a subject where I really do appreciate a grammar curriculum (I use Easy Grammar, but don't start formal grammar until grade 4).  I hate teaching composition!  I always feel very judgmental regarding their writing.  I did use IEWs SWI for my oldest last year and that helped take her writing to the next level.  That was great, but she was pretty good at writing before.  My 4th grader is a different story, though I imagine that she will catch up.  I currently have her enrolled in a writing program.  It has helped, but I can't say it is great.  My seventh grader has been formally studying vocabulary which is good.  Also, I love to read.  I love literature.  So do my kids.  We read a lot.  I read to them a lot.  I do have self doubt though regarding literature instruction.  Sure we discuss the books, but I rarely ask them to identify foreshadowing, or theme, etc.  I never liked trying to find hidden meanings within a text and I don't ask them to do so.  I do worry that they will go to school someday and be clueless to these things.  I also rarely tackle poetry.  

So for me, both History and English were always my personal weak areas.  It does change up each year though as to where I feel most awkward.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 3 Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Right now Reading w/ my 7yr old. I feel like it's me? Also my 4yr old is driving in general....biggrinbounce.gif

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page