Travel the world or find a home? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Unschooling 4.5 year old and 10mnth old

We are finishing up a 2 year stint here in Denmark, and have the chance to travel for 6mo-a year starting in june, while dh telecommutes. We have had some great times traveling in the past, but I am also really pulled to the idea of setting up shop somewhere now that we can. 

Should we travel the world or look for a rental in the USA? I really cant decide whats best. DD1 would like stability and friends, but we wont get this chance again any time soon. If we go, we wont be able to bring much, so books and crafts will be limited, which is what she enjoys.

DD2 is little, but easy going. Dh doesnt have time to help me plan anything (he is finishing his masters thesis) 

Would you take a chance to travel or stay home? Where would you go? 

familybed2.gif mama to dd energy.gifborn 8/08 and dd fly-by-nursing2.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg and one crazy dog2.gif oh and one loving dh dh_malesling.GIF

#2 of 8 Old 03-13-2013, 11:33 AM

I would take this opportunity to travel. You can always settle down when shes a little older. You can get e-books for reading on the go. What a great opportunityfor your family!
#3 of 8 Old 03-13-2013, 11:55 AM

I would settle down. But, I guess I'm kind of burned out by moving. We have been moving every year to a different country, and I'm just exhausted. If your daughter is someone who likes stability, predictability and security, it might be very hard on her. I'm like that and I'm longing to settle down, but so far, I guess another move might be knocking on the door redface.gif  But, I have to add, I love traveling, but I need to have a home that I know, is waiting for me. smile.gif

Hope that helps winky.gif

bruebee likes this.
#4 of 8 Old 03-13-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

thanks daisy.....swell. ROTFLMAO.gifat least you understand my confusion. 

familybed2.gif mama to dd energy.gifborn 8/08 and dd fly-by-nursing2.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg and one crazy dog2.gif oh and one loving dh dh_malesling.GIF

#5 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 PM

I would travel. Being unsettled for 6 months to a year, while hard, is still a very short time--a time during which you could have some wonderful experiences. Your daughter is young. Most friends she would make now probably wouldn't be lifelong anyway. There will always be a chance to settle long-term, but once you've crossed that bridge it's very hard to return to a more nomadic life.
#6 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 PM

I could definitely see the pros and cons to both!

I agree with many of the points cantora87 mentioned. This is a time when your DD1 is strongly attached to you and learns so much from your relationship to her and the world around you both. Much differently than, say, a pre-teen who is starting to perhaps flex some distancing muscles and long for more solid relationships with friends. Every child is different though, and you know your situation better than anyone. As an unschooler, this type of scenario almost seems too perfect for one-of-a-kind opportunities. From someone who has tried to do this on a smaller scale, it is much more difficult once you have "settled", imo.

I personally wouldn't worry about books and crafts too much. Children love repetition, so if you have several great literature reads that you could enjoy and interpret over and over, those would be perfect (and the e-book suggestions was great too!). Do you enjoy storytelling? That is a wonderful past time as well. Crafts can really be anything ... we use a lot of nature to create stuff ... it doesn't take much - just a little creativity can go a long way. Kids are so imaginative and clever - they can construct something out of almost anything!

Good luck on your decision-making! Either way, you really won't go wrong. Your heart will guide you to what is best for your family. If finding a place to stay put and call home is what resonates - go with your gut!

Best wishes!

#7 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

If it is for six months only, instead of traveling the world, I'd pick two locations I'd like to know better and stay at each place three months.  I think three months is enough time to know a place well and be ready to move on.  I'd also travel very very light.  We have an ipad and we utilize that little machine to the max when we travel.  We carry our movies and books on it.  It is pretty darn awesome.  

#8 of 8 Old 03-15-2013, 01:05 AM

I like the suggestion of staying for 3 months in each place as a compromise.

Do you have any idea where you will end up living at the end of this time period? If you do not know where you will be living in a year, maybe you can make a list of places where you might want to settle down someday to try them out. I think there are many things you don't know until you live somewhere and it would be wonderful to have a trial run without being committed.

I would do e-books.

For crafts- decorating greeting cards or postcards to send to family/friends might be good

Maybe if your dd does crafts you can take photos of them to keep in a digital scrapbook instead of keeping the things she makes.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page