Article: Why Doctors and Lawyers Homeschool Their Children - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maybe this can be of a help to someone struggling with skeptical family or friends:

Article: Why Doctors and Lawyers Homeschool Their Children

Lillian

#2 of 10 Old 03-30-2013, 10:21 AM

This is a great article, but those reading should be aware that some people are not going to be swayed by *any* article, book, or study. That's ok, too. They can have their views, and you can have yours. For dealing with such people, I recommend becoming good at changing the subject. It'll be easier than changing their minds.
mamabev likes this.
#3 of 10 Old 03-31-2013, 06:05 AM

Thank you for sharing!! I thought this was very interesting, and I have since shared it with others as an intriguing reference. ;-)
#4 of 10 Old 03-31-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

This is a great article, but those reading should be aware that some people are not going to be swayed by *any* article, book, or study. That's ok, too. They can have their views, and you can have yours. For dealing with such people, I recommend becoming good at changing the subject. It'll be easier than changing their minds.

Yes, but you never know what some of those people are thinking inside - I think sometimes they just don't want to admit their own doubts about their own opinions.

We were so lucky that no one ever bugged us about our homeschooling the whole time - it must be maddening to have to deal with invasiveness.  - Lillian

#5 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 07:19 AM

Once I made it past all the stinging stereotypes and put-downs she threw out in the beginning (ouch!) it was a decent article. Just goes to show that the way you homeschool really does reflect your personality and parenting style. If school at home is your desire then that is entirely possible too. I am just grateful we all have the freedom to do this, and to do it our way.
#6 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 AM

I have to say I didn't really like this article at all. But the thing that destroyed it for me was the line about "some homeschooling families are doing it on *only* $40k-$60k per year!"

That is soooooo much more money than we have! If we knew we were going to be able to make $40k-$60k a year we would be golden! We wouldn't have to struggle to decide to continue homeschooling vs find two full time jobs (and we are both college degreed people imagine if we weren't)

It was painfully classist, but I guess the article was about "doctors and lawyers"
#7 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 01:02 PM

Lol hey now, don't be hatin' on us long-skirted SAHMs.. wink1.gif
I did appreciate the overall message of the article, but agree with the PPs about the stinging stereotypes and classism.
#8 of 10 Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 AM

Yeah, I posted this article on my FB page and, while in my mind it was geared towards my liberal, pro-public school skeptical friends, it seemed to really get negative responses from my conservative (long-skirted SAHM) friends! I can totally see why, and felt the need to backtrack a little. After re-reading, I realized it was elitist, though since it was in a publication geared towards moms who are doctors, I can see the point. Just not that great for the general public. But the list reasons for homeschooling is nicely written and good for any skeptics in your life. I'd probably just cut and paste those, and leave out the elitist intro, LOL :)

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

#9 of 10 Old 04-09-2013, 05:07 PM

Yes the classism and elitism stank but overall it was a good article. I have my PhD in organic chemistry and many people can't possibly understand WHY I would choose to homeschool rather than pursue my career. This article has a lot of good points for dealing with people that have that mindset (i.e.- my parents and DH's family many of which are public school teachers). But yes, the elitism is stupid. I have "long-skirted" homeschooling mom friends and most of them are way better at this than I am and are far more intelligent and open-minded than some PhDs I know.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#10 of 10 Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The one thing that surprised me about this article was that homeschooling made her stop spanking the kids.  Like really?  So, she's a pediatrician, a modern one, and she thought, before homeschooling, that spanking the kids was the way to go, but homeschooling opened her eyes?  Just doesn't make sense to me.  Yes, she's got a lot of good points otherwise.  

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page