Independent reading for a almost 7 year old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-31-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is very much trying to read books on his own.  This is great and I want to encourage that by giving him books that are slightly above his level.  He really enjoys telling people that he read a whole book by himself: it is a great boost for his confidence.  He is currently going through the Henry and Mudge books and he is enjoying them.  He also loves serials instead of a bunch of new, unrelated books.  He has the audio for the Magic Tree House series.  

I am looking for something that is below the Magic Tree house reading level that is still a "chapter" book but above the Henry and Mudge ones.  Any ideas?  I am not interested in snarky books where the protagonists call each other names, get in trouble all the time etc.  I dislike Junie B. Jones, for example.  I have checked out the Littles, the Borrowers and the Boxcar Kids but they will all require help for him to read through.  Any ideas of books that are slightly below the Magic Tree House levels but above the Henry and Mudge?  

Thanks in advance Mamas!

#2 of 12 Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

The Mercy Watson books by Kate DiCamillo are fantastic!!!  Last I checked there are 6  :)

Emaye likes this.

Tassy mom to DS(13), DD(8), and twin DDs (7)  homeschool.gif

#3 of 12 Old 03-31-2013, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The "Easy-to-Read Spooky Tales" by Veronika Martenova Charles (see this example) were the first chapter books my DS read.  They may not be any longer or harder than a Henry and Mudge book, but they might feel more like a real chapter book.

The Nate the Great books are about the same reading level as Henry and Mudge, but longer.  I think some of them are divided into chapters, but I don't know if all of them are.  They were the next chapter books DS tried.

The Cam Jansen books seem to be just a bit harder than Nate the Great.

Emaye likes this.
#4 of 12 Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Bailey School Kids Jr. Chapter Books (note "Jr", because they also have slightly harder ones that aren't marked as Jr).

Emaye likes this.
#5 of 12 Old 04-01-2013, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Maybe Encyclopedia Brown?  Those are bit harder that Nate the Great.  We love both.

Emaye likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#6 of 12 Old 04-01-2013, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No book recommendations, but if he's just now starting to try to read on his own I wonder if it would make sense to give him books that he is very able to read independently so he can gain confidence. If it's too hard he might get discouraged and stop reading. If he's anything like my son it would be for a VERY long time. I say get him books that he can succeed with for now. You can challenge him once he's gained some experience and confidence.

Emaye likes this.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#7 of 12 Old 04-01-2013, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the recommendations, guys!  I am going to keep every single one in mind and I am going to go ahead with Nate the Great.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

No book recommendations, but if he's just now starting to try to read on his own I wonder if it would make sense to give him books that he is very able to read independently so he can gain confidence. If it's too hard he might get discouraged and stop reading. If he's anything like my son it would be for a VERY long time. I say get him books that he can succeed with for now. You can challenge him once he's gained some experience and confidence.

This is almost exactly what I am trying to do except, I want him to be reaching a tiny, weency bit.  He himself enjoys that kind of challenge.  

#8 of 12 Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 PM

Now, or soon :

Abracadabra

Nate the Great
Secrets of Droon
Bailey School Kids
Cam Jansen

There's another series, with animals who are detectives. I can't remember what it's called right now.

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle
Amelia Badelia (I think I'm spelling it wrong)

When older :

Jigsaw Jones
A to Z Mysteries
Deltora Quest
Emaye likes this.
#9 of 12 Old 04-02-2013, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Can you take him to a library and see what he likes? Reading can be such an individual thing

A lot of longer books bear in mind are not harder, just have more words, iyswim. So I'd say something like Farmer Boy/the Little House books are not hard to read, especially the early ones, there are just a lot of (easy) words. OTOH I'd say the Borrowers is pretty hard.  Many picture books are harder to read than the "step up" chapter books.

When my son was starting out reading the two things he loved were fact books-I think, in retrospect, because there are loads of visual clues that help beginning readers (WHY are there no reading schemes based on fact books?). Second he liked comics-Calvin and Hobbs, Asterix, Tintin. Again, lots of clues in the pictures. My daughter went more for the lots of easy fiction approach (My Naughty Little Sister and the Joe and Timothy books, the Aurora books, the Dorrie books, Astrid Lindgrens stuff, the Little House books and the Milly Molly Mandy books were all big hits, even though the protagonists were all a little younger. These are all very British/European.) but also learnt a lot from stuff like how-to- books (how to draw, how to sew) -Usborne does a lot of these in the UK, not sure if there's a US equivalent? Thing is, with these books you get quick feedback on how well you've read something.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#10 of 12 Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillyjonk View Post

Can you take him to a library and see what he likes? Reading can be such an individual thing.

Wish I could. No library close by where we live.  We have had to make accommodations for that by outright buying books.

#11 of 12 Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Have you read the "Down Girl and Sit" books.  I believe there are four of these.  I would say that they are at the level you describe.  They are really funny books, from the perspective of the dog.  The dog believes her name is "Down Girl."  The neighbor's dog is "Sit" and they have loads of fun together.  They warrant repeated readings at our home.  Amazon gives the first few pages if you "look inside the book" so you can get a good idea of the actual reading level.

http://www.amazon.com/Smarter-Than-Squirrels-Down-Girl/dp/076145571X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365023445&sr=1-1&keywords=down+girl+and+sit

Amy

Emaye likes this.

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#12 of 12 Old 05-09-2013, 10:57 PM

You might consider (not quite yet but probably soon) Commander Toad is a great series also - less words per page than Magic Treehouse but more complex vocabulary and really funny.

Emaye likes this.

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page