Question about Home learning? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-09-2013, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi I am Daniel. I would like to know that what you think about home learning and what are the benefits of home learning? Mommy's can answer better for this, I guess.

I have found an article on home learning and I liked it very much. Here is that;

http://goarticles.com/article/Why-Study-From-Home/7515827/

Looking forward to your replies.

Cheers

#2 of 5 Old 04-09-2013, 07:40 AM

The article you posted is geared towards adults. This is a site for homeschooling children. Are you looking for adult ed information? If so, other sites would be more appropriate. though I don't know any to refer you to.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 5 Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

SundayCrepes is right about this forum being about home-based learning for children. However, my teens have done on-line course work from home and their experience may be similar to the style of learning that interests you. From my perspective I found the article simplistic (and badly written too, though the grammatical errors don't interfere with meaning much) in that it says you can work whenever it suits you, free of deadlines. It depends on the institution and the course. And any freedom comes at a cost.

Not all such courses are entirely self-paced. Sometimes there are virtual discussions -- via text or live chat -- that you are expected to take part in within a certain time-window. Sometimes the completion dates for courses are open-ended, but often there are deadlines since teachers have to be hired on some sort of time-based contract or academic-year schedule to oversee your progress. If life gets in the way for a while you may find yourself under the gun with three weeks to go. The writer of the article paints a rosy picture of study not interfering with your schedule or your usual responsibilities and it's true you have a lot of flexibility but the fact remains that the work needs to be done and it can take a lot of time. You still have to find that time in your days and weeks. It takes a lot more self discipline to carve time out of your week amongst your own familiar surroundings than it does to simply show up for classes. We've also found that such courses often attempt to make up for the lack of face-to-face student-teacher interaction and in-class discussion by expecting a lot of student output. This makes for a hefty workload for the student, often far beyond what would be expected of a student taking a similar course in a bricks-and-mortar setting. My eldest dd took a senior history course on-line a few years ago and had 42 assignments (8 major ones, 34 smaller ones). Her brother took the same course last year in a classroom and he had six major assignments and that was all. Unbelievable difference in workload.

Good luck! Before deciding on anything I would look realistically at (a) the exact structure of the course(s) you're considering and (b) your ability to self-structure your time and remain disciplined in the absence of face-to-face accountability and short-term deadlines.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 5 Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My guess is this is a spam post.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#5 of 5 Old 04-10-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post

My guess is this is a spam post.

I was thinking the same thing which is why I tried to direct him elsewhere. Glad I'm not the only one who thought it.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Tags
Education

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page