Homeschooling Mamas: How do you get your "me" time? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Being a mother of a 3yo and a little one is never a good time to analyze whether you are fit to homeschool.  It seems like that age brings on a crisis in nearly every mama who has her heart set on it, let alone those who are merely considering it.  I wonder how many have turned their backs on the idea just because of this difficult time?  Nonetheless, your children are going to be very different people in 3 years, kindergarten is a cinch, so really any major input from a parent won't come for at least 5 years, and then it will depend on the style of homeschooling you choose.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#32 of 40 Old 06-13-2013, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
smile.gif I think I will bookmark this thread to read during the crappy times!!
#33 of 40 Old 06-17-2013, 11:02 AM

1 - 2 hours of quiet time per day when they have to stay in their rooms while I get uninterrupted roam of the house sans chores. Idea is from Susan Wise Bauer and explained here:

Quiet Time, Part I

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#34 of 40 Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 AM

Every now and then, like today, we declare it an UnDay.  Which, being unschoolers, is pretty funny if you think about it.  We got the idea from an Electric Company skit, and we don't declare it very often to keep it special. But I am wiped out this morning, I declared it an UnDay, and somehow it makes that day special.  They know I get to do whatever I want.  They get to do what they want.  Some chores, like animals and overflowing recycling and putting away some laundry because we are out of underwear need to happen, we need to be kind or at least civil, but otherwise, it's Do What You Want.  That's an easy way for me to get some much needed time for my own things, even if I don't get time to myself.

#35 of 40 Old 06-18-2013, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Every now and then, like today, we declare it an UnDay.  Which, being unschoolers, is pretty funny if you think about it.  We got the idea from an Electric Company skit, and we don't declare it very often to keep it special. But I am wiped out this morning, I declared it an UnDay, and somehow it makes that day special.  They know I get to do whatever I want.  They get to do what they want.  Some chores, like animals and overflowing recycling and putting away some laundry because we are out of underwear need to happen, we need to be kind or at least civil, but otherwise, it's Do What You Want.  That's an easy way for me to get some much needed time for my own things, even if I don't get time to myself.

Love this. Can see many UnDays in our future.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#36 of 40 Old 06-18-2013, 12:22 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Every now and then, like today, we declare it an UnDay.  

Ha, we call these "Nothing Days," but I like your term better.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#37 of 40 Old 06-18-2013, 01:38 PM

Ugh....Today should have been an UnDay....or I need a do-over button. greensad.gif

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#38 of 40 Old 06-18-2013, 03:30 PM

Well, this UnDay was complicated by MeltdownDay.  I'm still trying to keep my spirits up, and thankfully when one girl is over-the-top in a foul mood, the other one seems to know well enough to back off and make themselves invisible.  So, well, we tried.  Or, are trying.  At least, since it is an UnDay, I'm not feeling incredible pressure to hold up everything else in addition.

#39 of 40 Old 06-18-2013, 07:10 PM

I get a pretty reasonable amount of me time these days. We have a nice, fenced in backyard with a garden, which happens to be a fantastic educational opportunity. Here, if the sun is up, the children should be out. If it is hot, there are two huge oak trees just made for shade, and they know where the water hose is. If it is raining, they should be dancing in it. If it is storming or they need to pee, well, then they can come in. If it is nap time for the two year old, we may do that out there, or we may come in for it. Otherwise, outside is the place to be. The world is so much bigger out there than in the house. In here, nothing much happens. Out there, everything happens. Seedlings are sprouting up in the garden, squirrels are pulling ridiculous antics all over the yard, song birds are telling us we have a grub problem (or maybe they're just saying "Yum"), the burrowing owl family is growing and being adorable (and how neat is it that they can turn their heads completely around like that?!), there are tons of insects the kids haven't identified yet and some of them are really creepy and weird in a cool kind of way, the basil is just dying to be wrapped around a strawberry, the kids know that the stevia tastes delicious with mint but how does it taste with lemonbalm?, and then there's the dog and the awesome stuff going on the compost pile. We have an accidental potato plant in there. DD (8) discovered that. She takes care of it now. DS (2) found a bunch of soldier fly larvae. He doesn't have much experience with the whole TV thing, but he's pretty sure they are way better.

So, the sun was up today, and they were out. I was, too, off and on, as the garden needed care, and I needed air, but I got a reasonable amount of peace inside alone. Now the sun is down, and they're in. But we've already done dinner, all the way through our evening rituals, and now they're in bed, and I get some more me time. 

#40 of 40 Old 06-18-2013, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Hey I had an un-day today too!  It would be more fun if I weren't feverish, but it was definitely necessary. :P

Still reading and enjoying this thread.  Fillyjonk is correct that a lot could be solved by having my own space.  I do have a small space in dh's office, but it's just big enough for my sewing machine and serger and a few of my tools.  I'm really glad I have it, I would never get any sewing done if I had to drag out the machine every time, but there isn't enough room in the office for me to do any cutting out.  Also dh gets a little twitchy when it gets messy in there, and since he is making our entire livelyhood in that office, I try hard to respect that.  We do plan on getting a bigger house in a few years, but that will be a while.  Having some sort of space of my own (be it a weird attic room, or the end of a family room I can wall off with baby fence or whatever) is definitely on my list for our next place.

I decided to try cutting out a sewing project with my 3 yo around, during the babe's naps.  It was slower going, and annoying having to pull everything out and put it away so many times over a few days, but ds1 did a pretty good job of not messing with my stuff too much.  The actual sewing is easier to do in spurts, since as I said, my machines have a dedicated space, I just have to haul out the ironing board constantly.  I've come to realize that a lot of my frustration about not having time to sew lately is because my wardrobe is pretty lacking in functional clothing since the last pregnancy.  So perhaps it won't be as much of an issue in the future, once I fill the gaps in my closet.

The other thing that I'd really love to have some time for is music composition.  That's not so much a space issue as a quiet, uninterrupted-time-for-concentration, issue.  If the baby would stop waking up 2-3 times between his bedtime and mine, I could probably squeeze some of that in after the kids are in bed.  I guess I can always hope the next couple babes sleep better?

I recently found out my sister is going to pull her 3 school-aged kids out and homeschool with her 3 yo in tow next year.  I had no idea she was even considering it, I've never even brought it up with anyone in my family.  She lives too far away to do any kid swaps or coops with unfortunately, but it still makes me feel better.  Sure I can find lots of homeschoolers with 4 kids online, but bloggers don't seem as real and fallible as my sister, you know?  Plus, I won't be the only weird one at family gatherings :P

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page