Summer Homeschooling? Are you doing any? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 05-15-2013, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are planning to take a break for the month of August. We are a little behind where I hoped we would be by now, but I think we can pull it together. We love our curriculum, but DS went to an all day homeschool program a couple of days each week this year, so we didn't get as much done at home. 

We live at the beach, so will do our lessons according to the tide :)  It's not hard to do a couple of hours- he's awake for 12+

We will read lots of books, strengthen math, do a couple of unit studies....

Whale watches, 4H, swimming lessons, summer theater too...

#32 of 40 Old 05-17-2013, 07:33 AM

I plan on doing reading writing and math with my kids this summer.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#33 of 40 Old 05-18-2013, 09:13 AM

Hello,

In relation to summer homeschooling, I was just wondering at which time of day everyone tries to get the kids' studying out of the way? For me it's usually not until the late afternoons that I get any studying done, because we usually try to attend any special events/programs that go on earlier in the day. I would like to finish everything by the morning, but usually kids don't want to wake up too early (since it's summertime and all).

To all NYC moms from the Western Queens area, please check out my Examiner.com page, where I write about all the family news, views, and events happening in and around there: http://www.examiner.com/family-in-new-york/rahela-choudhury
#34 of 40 Old 05-18-2013, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My 11 yo does most of hers right after breakfast because 4 yo sister isn't awake yet to compete for my full attention. wink1.gif She does most of it herself but for now it's really important to her that I'm in the same room to respond to questions right away when she needs me. Works well in the summer because we have afternoons free for swimming.
#35 of 40 Old 05-18-2013, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHOUDH View Post

Hello,

In relation to summer homeschooling, I was just wondering at which time of day everyone tries to get the kids' studying out of the way?

It's random, just like the rest of the year.  It's not all "studying" that needs to be gotten out of the way so we can have fun.  It might include collecting insects and learning about them, drawing pictures, listening to read-alouds, building things with Snap Circuits, or doing a science experiment.  It also might include things that are more like studying, and that happens whenever it fits in.

#36 of 40 Old 05-18-2013, 04:46 PM

We usually try to get our work done as early as possible in the day.  That way we can go to the park, for a walk, etc. in the afternoon.  But that's during the regular school year.  In the summer, we try to get outside as early as possible, going to the pool or beach by about 9 or9:30 and staying til lunch and baby's nap time.  This has gotten harder as the kids reach teen years because they want to sleep in a little.  This year, I think we will get our little bit of summer work done between about 2 and 5, when baby naps.  Of course, the kids bring whatever book they are reading with them wherever we go. 

#37 of 40 Old 05-18-2013, 06:36 PM

I think it's going to be all over the place for us, too. Our language studies will be computer based, so I imagine we will probably do that right after breakfast whenever we can. But ds totes books around and reads anytime he is bored, and also before bed. Might pick up math workbooks for both kids, too, and the math will probably be only a few times a week.

We work all over the place in our "normal" school year, too. Today, we will try finishing by 1PM or so, so that we can get out to the beach. Then we'll come back to studying in the evening.

#38 of 40 Old 05-19-2013, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHOUDH View Post

Hello,

In relation to summer homeschooling, I was just wondering at which time of day everyone tries to get the kids' studying out of the way? For me it's usually not until the late afternoons that I get any studying done, because we usually try to attend any special events/programs that go on earlier in the day. I would like to finish everything by the morning, but usually kids don't want to wake up too early (since it's summertime and all).

I like to get the "work" out of the way first thing. But it is good to be a HOT day then I will go to the park early and do the school work later.

#39 of 40 Old 05-21-2013, 05:04 AM

I usually keep my kids in between 11:30 and 3-ish when the sun is strongest and we have no shade in the yard to escape to for breaks, so that's when we'll do any work or projects we're doing.

Kick 'em out the door right after breakfast, bring 'em in for lunch, then chill for a few hours while it's hottest...that's what I've done the past few summers. winky.gif

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#40 of 40 Old 05-21-2013, 11:11 PM

Thanks everybody, really appreciated your comments!

To all NYC moms from the Western Queens area, please check out my Examiner.com page, where I write about all the family news, views, and events happening in and around there: http://www.examiner.com/family-in-new-york/rahela-choudhury

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page