Homeschooling with a newborn and a toddler in toe - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-05-2013, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering how you lovely Mumma's get on with homeschooling your older children while still caring for the younger ones whose needs often seem slightly more urgent.
I am pregnant ith my third child and thinking of homeschooling my eldest but wondering how I will manage when the new baby arrives.
#2 of 6 Old 05-07-2013, 06:37 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming baby!  My oldest was 5 when my twins were born so I understand what you are about to encounter.  I highly recommend a baby sling if you don't have one already.  Gives you your hands free to do what you need to do with your 2 & 5 year olds, homeschooling or not. 

I guess the answer depends on what type of homeschooling you are planning to do...lots of sitting with workbooks or more relaxed unschooling.  I've found that 2 year olds really feel big and want to feel included, plus they can learn right along with the 5 yr old.  When my daughter was 7 and my littles were 2 we would go on nature hikes and I would give them each notebooks and bring along colored pencils.  We would stop frequently for snacks and draw in our nature journals.  When my older was working at the table, writing a letter to a grandparent I would give the littles the same lined paper (which seemed special to them! :) ) and the would do their version of the same.  I think however you can make the 2 year old feel included in what is going on the easier it will be for them to be busy.  Usually their interest wanes quickly and they head off to play with something else and you have a little alone time with the older. 

Having a special art box that you don't get down often can also help...playdoh, stickers, etc. will give them something interesting to do when you need that one on one time.

The big thing to remember is things change so quickly.  The first few months of the new baby it will seem like you aren't getting any official "homeschooling" done...and you shouldn't be.  Go easy on yourself.  Your 5 and 2 year olds will be learning so much from the new baby.  All of that learning is valuable even though it doesn't fit into an official school curriculum.  Learning about babies is amazing and so important.  That is their homeschooling.  Your 5 year old is so young!  I know he feels big because he is the biggest on you have.  I felt like that about my older when the babies were born.  She looked huge.  But looking back at the pictures she was so young.  You have lots of time for all of the things you want to present to him.  It will happen.  Mostly just focus on getting through that survival mode time and everything will unfold beautifully for your family. 

You can do this!

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#3 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

That reply was so heartfelt thank you! I truly appreciate you taking the time to write that it gives me the much needed faith to plan our new learning journey!
#4 of 6 Old 05-10-2013, 04:43 AM

Sorry I missed this when you first posted. Here's my thoughts, if you are still looking for feedback.

Five year olds, kindergarten, are not doing much book work, and a relaxed homeschool method should work just fine. I agree that learning about babies is important, and should take precedence over "subjects" this fall. And feeding the baby time can also be time to watch a video about whales, or eventually you reading aloud with one of the other two holding the book.

Take time now to get videos (even just recording broadcast shows) on various subjects to watch when you feel guilty about "not educating enough", but are tired/busy because of the baby. Most importantly, as previously said, be kind to yourself. Things work best when we don't stress about them.

Good luck and congrats!
#5 of 6 Old 05-10-2013, 08:15 AM

I am having number three next week and have two that will be three and five in July so I am in the same boat.  Some days I totally panic and am convinced there is no way I can do it.  I have to remind myself that it's kindergarten.  We can DO this.  There is plenty of time and I agree that it depends on your style.  DD1 naturally loves learning at this point so that helps a lot.  Finding an hour or so through out the day to work on a few things sounds MUCH less stressful than getting everyone out the door on time for pick up and drop offs.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#6 of 6 Old 05-11-2013, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

You beautiful mummas from all over the world have given me the faith & inspiration to do this! I feel so excited! A few weeks of preparation and then we'll be jumping on the homeschooling train. I can't thank you all enough!
I will definitely keep you updated on how we go! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
Emaye likes this.

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page