New to Home School-will start this summer/fall - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi moms!

I have a 7 year old (current second grader) and a 4.4 (year old).  I have been thinking about home schooling for several years but have recently decided it is something I really want to do.  I have come to this bored several times look for tips and ideas for different topics.  My daughter has dysgraphia but reads well,  I will be going to a home school fair his weekend (first ever).  What curriculum's do you recommend for a first timer?  My main areas of focus next year would be writing, reading, and math.  We are a Christian family.  My daughter would mostly be in the 3rd grade range when it comes to most work but is probably behind when it comes to writing.  My 4 year old is doing beginning reading and math so I will probably do a "kinder" year with him next year.  Any feedback would be great.   Thank You!

#2 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 12:55 PM

The resources from Queen homeschool are user-friendly and written by a Christian mom:

http://queenhomeschool.com/

We are trying out their language lessons books for the first time next year. 

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 5 Old 05-11-2013, 06:30 AM

Hi!! Congratulations on your decision to homeschool!

The first thing that I think may help with more directed suggestions is what type of environment and/or structure you prefer. Some parents like a very regimented approach, others like flexibility.... complete curriculum all framed out to the day or loose recommendations to use as a guideline. It all really depends. If you would like options that incorporate more of a religious aspect, that would be something to consider as well. Budget may also be an area that requires some planning. There are moderately affordable options out there, and there are some complete curriculums that are on the expensive side.

It seems like many people often end up blending several different resources. I think that can be the biggest challenge. You don't want to make a big purchase to find out that you don't really like it! Some groups have annual used curriculum sales (you can also find those online too) that may be a good place to peruse. Hopefully the fair you are attending provides you with some insight! Do you have a homeschooling community in your area? (I'm assuming so?) It may help to reach out to get some feedback from people that may be willing to let you have a tangible look at what they have used/currently use and/or recommend.

Hope the fair is/was fun and gave you some confidence and resources!!

#4 of 5 Old 05-12-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Jen thanks for all your feedback!
#5 of 5 Old 05-15-2013, 06:34 PM

Welcome to homeschooling!  I totally sympathize with how overwhelming it all is at the beginning. So many choices and you just want to jump in because it's so much to take on in figuring it out.  I have to agree with Jen that it's reaching to suggest a curriculum to you because that's such a personal decision and you haven't shared your motivations for homeschooling, your personality, your family's style, your goals, your budget, etc. 

I suggest you spend some time getting clear on your motivations and then really look at all the different ways there are to homeschool.  Once you zero in on a style that fits you, then go on to look at curriculum options in that style.  If you just start by looking at the curriculum companies, each one works hard to sell you on how their system is better.  It's really hard to start by comparing all the many programs!  As a Christian (we are too) you have the MOST options, because so many cater to Christians.

As it happens, I was just sharing something today on my blog that might help you.  I am a pro sewing blogger who teaches online sewing classes and occasionally shares about our homeschool.  I loved to help people find their own homeschool path and recently spent a lot of time helping a reader who's starting this fall.  Anyways, she suggested that I do a homeschool class, since my online classes are so well received.  I opened registration on it today, so if you want more details you can stop by.  http://www.stitchedincolor.com/2013/05/registration-open-for-homeschool.html.  My goal is to provide an easy-to-digest course that saves you time and energy, yet still gives you a generous taste of diverse options, so that you can go about the important task of choosing for yourself.  It might be what you need, or you can go about diving into the research online if you have lots of time. 

Whatever you find as you are in research mode, I encourage you to keep an open mind!  What's best for your family is going to be personal, not the same as any one else. 

Blogger/Quilter + Homeschooling Mama to Aria (9) and Liam (7)
StitchedinColor.com

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page