Winner Selected! Win a Complete Homeschool Curriculum from Oak Meadow!! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2013, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I shared this on Facebook and via email to interested family and friends. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 AM

As a mom of two little ones who now has the joy of being at home on a fulltime basis, and,always loved nature and being handson,I have begun implementing many of the sustainable and simple living ideas.

We have a nice big yard now, which we have filled with fruit trees, herbs and vegetable and We have several compost piles going. It's fun and a real blessing to teach our children how to appreciate nature, grow and enjoy healthy food. Each mroning my 5 yr old runs outside after breakfast and checks the strawberry and blueberries patch and comes back with a little handful of berries to share with her baby brother.

The baby is also in cloth diapers and we have switched to all natural cleaners and try to reuse and recycle materias.

Loved the ideas from the article and others. Made me realize I need to work on slowing down everyday both for me andjust enjoying my babies, life gets so busy at times, that this is the hardest thing to do.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:33 AM

As a mom of two little ones who now has the joy of being at home on a fulltime basis, and,always loved nature and being handson,I have begun implementing many of the sustainable and simple living ideas.

We have a nice big yard now, which we have filled with fruit trees, herbs and vegetable and We have several compost piles going. It's fun and a real blessing to teach our children how to appreciate nature, grow and enjoy healthy food. Each mroning my 5 yr old runs outside after breakfast and checks the strawberry and blueberries patch and comes back with a little handful of berries to share with her baby brother.

The baby is also in cloth diapers and we have switched to all natural cleaners and try to reuse and recycle materias.

Loved the ideas from the article and others. Made me realize I need to work on slowing down everyday both for me andjust enjoying my babies, life gets so busy at times, that this is the hardest thing to do.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 AM

Shared with my fb friends
Old 05-23-2013, 10:37 AM

I love these all of the ideas and am already doing these:

Grow a garden and save seeds for next year's garden

Freeze meals, preserve abundant garden produce

Collect a dozen things you no longer need or use to give away

Share resources, meals, extra seedlings, babysitting, etc.

Share good news and bad

Greet your neighbors by name

Stop everything, make eye contact, and listen

Ask for help when you need it, and accept help graciously when offered

Reminisce about fun times you've shared together

Make music or art together or dance together

Spend one-on-one time with the people you love best

Make time for yourself

~Megan

Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Shared with friends through email!

~Megan

Old 05-23-2013, 03:10 PM

"Collect a dozen things you no longer need or use to give away." I like to do this frequently to reduce clutter and make the items we do have more meaningful. I've noticed that more quantity seems to mean less quality (or quality time using). We donate toys, clothes and other items on a regular basis. I keep a basket in the laundry room which I use to filter out clothing that is too small, old, rarely used, etc. We go through our closets and do a heavy purge about four times a year.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:15 PM

I give away/donate the clothes and toys that my son has outgrown. I also donate household items and old cellphones to other single moms.

I shared this contest on fb.

smile.gif

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 05-23-2013, 03:29 PM

At our house we are doing a lot of the things listed. We compost, garden, recycle, practice gratitude. One of the things that I have been trying to do is to stop the glorification of busy. As a mom of three who works outside of the home 3-4 days per week our schedules can make life seem a bit hectic, but by engaging in what we're doing when we're doing it time things seem a little less crazy. Making eye contact with my family is also important. That eye contact  let's them know they have me for that moment, that I'm listening, because I never want to be too busy for my kids. I want to show them by example how to live their lives purposefully.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:30 PM

Every year at Christmas going forward (oldest kid will be 3 this year), we will ask the kids to choose several of their used toys to donate to charity. It will help those in need, and help to keep the toy clutter in our home from getting out of hand.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:31 PM

Shared on FB
Old 05-23-2013, 03:31 PM

Just shared on Facebook! We love Oak Meadows and Mothering for being such wonderful resources to support a great way to live! 

Old 05-23-2013, 03:36 PM

Make meaningful connections between academics and life...it's easy to get grumpy over studying when you are an older student, we should always be grateful for the opportunity to learn

Old 05-23-2013, 03:38 PM

There's something so satisfying about hanging the laundry out on a breezy warm day.  It was just such a day that my son took his first steps out on the grass by the clothesline!

Old 05-23-2013, 03:38 PM

Shared the giveaway

Old 05-23-2013, 03:44 PM

Shared this awesome giveaway!

Old 05-23-2013, 04:06 PM

So cool!  We are growing all our own food on our farm this year, enough for my family and enough veggies and meat for two other families.  We raise our own dairy animals and make our own dairy products.  We spin our own fiber, my nine year old is quite good at it, and enjoy knitting and creating our own clothing. If we did not make it, it is a hand me down or from thrift... maybe from a mama clothing swap where we all get together and share our kids used clothing, toys or books. 

We started off with the good stuff like EC and cloth and cloth diapers, but it is contagious and becomes a very slippery slope. And the kids learn it as they grow, the kids look at the world with new googles of what 'need' and 'want' are.

When we eat our food, the kids were the ones who helped plant it, helped save the seeds, helped butcher or process it, they feel pride for their work.  When the kids cleared a spot for a new fort, they knew without being told to save the firewood, cut and stack it to age for next year. They knew to separate out the brush and use what could be used for kindling. 

Nothing gets them more pumped than enjoying mother nature's harvest, sharing the blessings of our land by making maple syrup and jellies and jams from weeds and wildflowers.

A household expression is "well, that is not a sustainable option"  we laugh at how silly we must sound saying that about choosing were to move the hogs to their next pasture or where to plant nut trees.

We save and use everything from rain water for the livestock and gardens to rocks for fences and building.  It gets ahold of how you think and spreads.  The kids always say we need to do all canning in double batches so we have some to share with friends. We love how we are living and love to share 'the bug' with our friends and other mamas.

Thanks for caring to ask! AND gee, I hope I win too! 

Old 05-23-2013, 06:03 PM

We repair clothes, I'm working on gardening, we often hang laundry out to dry, use cloth napkins/cleaning cloths/etc and we're working on getting things that we don't need/want together to give away.

Shared on Facebook.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 PM

Oh boy could we use this! We have to move away from our Waldorf school and start homeschooling this fall.

I like oak meadow and mothering on FB and these two really hit me:

"

Follow interests and weave academics around these interests

Drop time limits and let learning happen at its own pace"

These will be key when we start our homeschooling. Thank you!!!

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
Old 05-23-2013, 08:56 PM

We already do many of these things. Planted a large garden, saving seeds, hanging out laundry, making simple clothing.

Love the list!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 PM

Shared with friends!

Old 05-23-2013, 09:44 PM

Sustainable living is something I am very focused on.  It wasn't until recently that I realized the things I am doing to "save money" are things I would like to continue even if I won the lotto!  I currently make some things that we use including baby wipes (love them, have made them for about a year now and will never go back to store bought), cleaning solutions, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, deodorizing disks, carpet shampoo.  I am also a huge fan of repurposing and being cheap. 

One thing I have focused on teaching my children is the art of communication.  In this day and age, I see so many people who don't engage in human contact because they are on their phone or distracted by a TV.  I love some of the tips you share about this, such as stop everything, make eye contact, and listen.  From a very early age, I have taught my children to stop what they are doing and look people in the eye as they speak or listen to someone.

Sustainable learning to me means to show your children how wonderful learning really is!  I encourage my children to learn everything they can about anything they are doing.  I feel very strongly that a hugely important part of teaching a child to love learning is to let them know you are learning, too!

Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 PM

Shared with friends on Facebook! =)

Old 05-23-2013, 09:59 PM

Our family has made many of these suggestions our part of our daily life already.  But one simple living suggestion that popped out to me is to create a sanctuary spot that will always be neat, clean and organized and to spend a little restful time there every day.  This is my new goal.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:59 PM

shared on facebook.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 PM

These are all good but the ideas that I like best are: Grow a garden and save seeds for next year's garden. Collect a dozen things you no longer need or use to give away. Stop everything, make eye contact, and listen. Make music or art together or dance together. Explore outside.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 PM

Shared with new member caggiano!

Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 PM

I like Choose a Mentor! And spending time with people you love...

Old 05-23-2013, 11:35 PM

sharing on Facebook and by chatting with classmates

Old 05-24-2013, 05:56 AM

We do a lot of this at home.
We have our own chickens, garden,can, sew most of our clothes-often w/ recycled fabrics.
As far as learning/teaching goes I follow my daughters lead & wait for teachable moments that apply to thing, thoughts, feelings that are relative to her/our life.

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources , Unschooling
User Tag List