Winner Selected! Win a Complete Homeschool Curriculum from Oak Meadow!! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I use all cloth products except toilet paper, gardening is a new adventure for us but we are learning as we go, I am an artist at heart so my kids are always creating something with me!  We have connected with our neighbors on a level that is inspiring - from last minute babysitting, to community cookouts anytime it is warm, and also a ladies walking group as often as we can.  Practical skills and knowledge play an important role in our children's education.  We are always learning when we are OUTSIDE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 04:21 PM

YAY for this contest.  I liked, FB posted and giveaway messaged my friends.  Peace all!  

joy.gif

#483 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 04:29 PM

We love this list! Lots of great ideas we still need to try - but several we already embrace! We love using cloth napkins, cleaning rags. We repurpose used clothes - and pass nice items on to friends. We love our time together being creative - and reading out loud.   We want to practice more "Stopping everything for contact" that is soooo important in this digital age - we need to purpose to do this several times a day - with multiple loved ones (and with ourselves!!)

Thanks for these ideas and loving reminders! And thanks for the offer!

#484 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 04:30 PM

I shared on Facebook joy.gif

#485 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 04:33 PM

Live simple!
#486 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 04:33 PM

Shared on Facebook!
#487 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 04:34 PM

We pool our resources with three other families to homeschool our children. We meet once a week and share things like a microscope, lab supplies, and special skills. One mom teaches the children musical instruments, another works with story bridge and helps them convert stories to drama, etc.

My family only has a small washing machine and hangs everything up to dry. We also mend our clothes, shop at thrift stores to reuse old things and even buy material to sew with by visiting the Goodwill closeout store. They sell old clothes by the pound. My daughter made all her summer shorts from men's old dress shirts one summer.

#488 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 04:36 PM

I also shared on facebook. rainbow1284.gif

#489 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 04:40 PM

I love the idea of mentoring or being mentored by another mother!  Its a beautiful idea!  My family uses cloth diapers and I am excited to start using some of these other ideas I see posted on here!!!!

#490 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 04:41 PM

shared on my page

#491 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 04:54 PM

We love to play together, whether it's board games or just plain silliness. My try at growing my own veggies has been a bit of a failure so far. But we keep trying!

#492 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 05:29 PM

Love the list! We have been using cloth napkins and towels instead of paper towels; we did cloth diapers from birth to cloth trainers, and mama cloths. We freecycle a lot, make our own cleaners, take advantage of the "solar dryer" wink1.gif, grow a garden and save seeds, and compost everything that can be composted from the kitchen. My daughter has seen these habits and behaviors from us from birth, so hoping that carries with her through life. We are similar in our relationships, but there were so many great ideas there too we should add to our lives.
Love Oak Meadow and Mothering.
#493 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 05:32 PM

Shared on Facebook.
#494 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 05:36 PM

About a year ago we became very active in our community garden and its really helped us to eat healthier and buy less produce. Its great because we work hard out in the garden so we get exercise, and we take home awesome organic produce. We use as little paper at home as possible, we avoid using paper plates/cups and we use cloth napkins and cloth towels for cleaning. I make most of our cleaning supplies. Most of all I try to teach my young daughter about making good choices for the world.

#495 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 05:46 PM

Gosh, where do I start?  I really try to emphasize buying local food and growing what we can.  We also make most of our cleaning and beauty products.  I have liked the Oak Meadow page, shared this opportunity on my page, and I have made this post.  I would love to win the free curriculum.  Thank you for the opportunity!

#496 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 06:20 PM

We already do plenty of these (at least on a part time basis!), but I really liked the suggestion of greeting your neighbors by name.  Having our baby has brought us closer to certain neighbors, as they now have an interest/curiosity about our life.

#497 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 06:27 PM

We set aside time each day to look each other full in the face and talk. (I've also shared the story on Facebook)

#498 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie Mayo View Post

Mothering and 
Oak Meadow
 have teamed up again to bring you an incredible giveaway and the brand new (and free!) issue of Oak Meadow's online journal: Living Education, dedicated to Sustainable Living and Learning. See the bottom of this post for your free issue!

The prize: 

Win a complete homeschool curriculum package for one PreK-8 grade of your choice (value: $120-$420). 

Winner of our community selected Best of Mothering award for Homeschooling, Oak Meadow’s uniquely creative curriculum includes assignments that ask children to read, write, and think, and also to paint, draw, play music, write poetry, and build things, encouraging balanced and healthy development.

To enter:

1. If you haven’t already, please make sure you “like” Oak Meadow on Facebook and are a fan of Mothering on our Facebook page.

2. Visit these
Practical Tips for Simple Living
and post which “tips” inspire or motivate you on this thread. You can also post your own ideas! You can share as many ideas as you like but please do so in one single post.

For a second entry: 

S
hare this giveaway with friends and create a new post on this thread letting us know that you did!

Last day to enter is May 27th! We will draw a winner at random on that day and announce the lucky person's name on or about May 28th. Two entries per person only, one for posting your tips and one for sharing this giveaway with friends and posting a second time. 

Be sure to read the Terms and Conditions before you participate. Good luck!

Do you practice sustainability as a family?

Are you teaching your child that it’s important to look out, not just for ourselves, but for the wellbeing of others, the Earth, and future generations?

Our friends at 
Oak Meadow 
have dedicated their latest issue of Living Education to 
Sustainable Living and Learning
. When it comes to teaching our children to step lightly and lovingly on this earth, this comprehensive collection of articles, stories, activities, and resources will motivate, inform, and inspire. 
Happy reading!
#499 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 PM

#500 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 PM

We do almost all of these tips for simple living.  It is funny just the other day my husband I were talking about how our lives are so different.  We have cut out the crap and eat whole foods, make soups, grow our own food.  We have no desire for the fast food anymore.  Life is so much better.  Our son is so much better.  He does so much better with a rythm and routine.  We ask lots of questions and he asks lots of questions.  We wonder and marvel at the world around us.  He asks so many questions as a four year old about how everything works.  It is just wonderful!

#501 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 PM

I shared with friends on Facebook!

#502 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 08:07 PM

We spend tons of time exploring outside with our three boys. Watching their wonder at the world inspires wonder in us.
We also like to make all our own cleaning supplies. Good for the environment and the wallet!
#503 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 09:21 PM

Cleaning the house in 10 min bursts! Sounds do-able and not too intimidating! smile.gif
#504 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 09:22 PM

Shared via Facebook!
#505 of 510 Old 05-27-2013, 10:33 PM

Love the idea of cloth napkins. Need to get that going! We do cloth diapers and cloth towels in the kitchen.
#506 of 510 Old 05-28-2013, 09:57 AM

Checking in to see if the winner was announced!  I have had a really bad year financially and with a big move to another province coming in June, winning this would be a real boost!

Mommy to: Belle: 01/27/2002, Maggie: 07/22/2008, Daniella, lost @ 9 wks on 06/04/2007, Baby Three Due 1/10/10
#507 of 510 Old 05-28-2013, 10:09 AM

we re-use everything until it doesn't work anymore, and then hopefully up cycle whatever materials or parts remain good. for example, moth-eaten wool suits or cashmere sweaters, that get generally get discarded as worthless, make all kinds of delicious huggable plush toys, pillows and little people's clothes. i make fresh non-dairy milks, using the solids to make all kinds of baked goods, selling the milk out of re-used glass bottles. peelings and vegetable scraps go to make frozen bullion cubes. if there's a surplus, it goes to compost for the garden. soap nuts is the only form of detergent i buy, using it to make all household cleaners, bottled in recycled containers. this leaves the gray water from a bath great for watering my houseplants...etc!!

#508 of 510 Old 05-28-2013, 10:29 AM

shared on facebook!

#509 of 510 Old 05-28-2013, 05:25 PM

Shared on FB!
#510 of 510 Old 05-29-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

This giveaway has ended. Thank you to everyone who took part and to Oak Meadow for offering this wonderful giveaway! Don't forget to check out their awesome curriculum and school

The randomly chosen winner is Margaritaa, you will be contacted through Mothering PM. Congrats!!!

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page