Winner Selected! Win a Complete Homeschool Curriculum from Oak Meadow!! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love the idea of having an always clean sanctuary spot!

#242 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 06:53 PM

shared via facebook @blushingmommy

#243 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 PM

"Greet you neighbor by name" stuck out to me as I only know the names of one family. My 4 yr old daughter woke up one day and wanted to make cards for the neighbors. Even though I had plenty of other things to do, I wanted to value her wanting to connect. She drew pictures and I wrote a nice message thanking them for being our neighbor and all the wonderful things they do in life. My daughter insisted I drew a heart on each and address each envelop with "Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood." She then wanted to hand deliver notes. It was the middle of winter and very cold yet I really wanted to honor her motivation. We both felt really good when we finished.  

I also always carry empty old plastic bags because my kids pick up liter where ever we go.

Bearsmom likes this.
#244 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 07:12 PM

I love all the tips every one has shared!

As a family we practice sustainable living in all areas of our lives. I would like to share some simple tips for self sufficiency and sustainable living!

We joined with a family for farming. If we were not together, we could not accomplish as much. Together with funds and time we have 4 goats, 36 chickens, and 2 honey bee hives, and a new hoop green house for this year.

We dehydrate food using solar methods if possible.

We eat a mostly vegetarian diet, consisting of legumes/beans/oats/wheat bought in bulk and produce grown or purchased from local farms weather dependent. (Mostly during the summer months).

We utilize web sites like youtube for videos on wild crafting herbs and edibles in our area, and the library for books on similar subjects.

We use cleaners like Castile soap, Simple Green, vinegar, fresh lemon juice and baking soda for home cleanliness.

We use castile soap, baking soda, apple cider vinegar and assorted teas for body and hair care.

We use natural fibers for clothing. Cotton year round, linen during the warmer months, and wool for the cooler months.

We shop second hand for 90% of our clothing, or use old clothing/sheets for making new clothing. We love to re-purpose.

We use cloth diapers, menstrual pads, and cloth wipes.

I use a mixture of essential oils drops, (Rosemary, Lemon, Orange, Cinnamon, and Clove oil) in a mixture of half water and rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle as a room freshener, hand sanitizer, and (most) surface cleaner.

We visit the library once a week to check out videos, books and to visit with the community.

We have family art & craft time. Sometimes we do fun experiments like baking soda and vinegar colored with fluorescent paint under black lighting, or colored rice sensory boxes.

We home school based on individual needs.

We take trips to the beach or get out in nature as often as possible.

We live mostly tv-free (2 hours a week or so)

We do much of the things on the web list. Including greeting our neighbors & helping when needed.

We slow down and just enjoy life.

***I just want to add that we can't do ALL these things, ALL the time. Some times a trip through the McDonald's drive thru is where we wind up with a mad craving for french fries, (or to quiet a manic, wailing, toddler). Sometimes we wind up gifted with a polyester pajama set, and it would be rude and hurtful to not wear it, or a PUL diaper cover is all we can afford for the moment. None of us are perfect, and ideals are just that- ideals. I just wanted to add this in case there is a mama reading this who feels down thinking she may be failing her kids or life because her list looks different than many lists here. It took us many years to get here! We can all make sustainable choices where we are at. We can't do everything, but we can do enough. I hope to inspire someone!***

Bearsmom likes this.

sewmachine.gifknit.gifrainbow1284.gifDaughter of Him, Wife and Mother to them partners.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gifstillheart.gif,  

heartbeat.gifOne more on the way Fall 2013 pos.gif

#245 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 PM

I do almost all of the things on that list! But my favorites are growing a garden. We raise chickens for their eggs and for fertilizer to add to our compost. We can lots of our harvest too. We re-use and recycle as much as we can. I sew clothes for the kids and myself, or buy second hand. I like to do a lot of second hand shopping, not just clothes. We are so into being self sufficient and sustainable that we bought some land to build a home off grid where we will collect rainwater, and utilize solar and wind power, and farm our land as well. The one thing on that list that I really need to implement is creating a sanctuary spot. That is badly needed! :-)

#246 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 07:17 PM

We already employ many of those sustainable practices at home, but I should do more of the suggestions for relationships as I tend to text and email more than get on the phone!

#247 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 07:21 PM

#248 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM

I think the ideas for Simple, Sustainable Relationships are inspiring, especially the tip to "Stop everything, make eye contact, and listen." Hope I can work on doing that more consistently.

#249 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 PM

I love the idea of picking up the phone to talk with someone instead of emailing or texting. It deepens the relationship. Also, accept help when someone offers it...you will both be blessed!

#250 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 PM

I do most of those things on the list! My favorite by far has been growing a vegetable garden. It's my sanctuary!
#251 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 07:54 PM

I love all these tips! What really inspired me was the Sustainable Relationship section...all the tips were great and so essential to help kids and people in general learn how to communicate and get along well. It is so much better when things are made personable...like calling on the phone or writing a letter instead of emailing and such. 

#252 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 07:54 PM

cleaning out the closets...constantly...less stuff = less chaos = a more sustatinable life all around for everyone

#253 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 08:00 PM

Shared on Facebook!
#254 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 08:07 PM

We patch clothing and fix toys... use cloth everything... make art and music together

#255 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 08:08 PM

#256 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 08:23 PM

We do a lot of these, but I think we have the most room to improve relationships.  Especially asking for and graciously accepting help.  shy.gif

Xan
stay at home, unschooling mommy to D (Jan., '07), G (May '09), T (Nov '10), and M (Jan '13)

#257 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 08:28 PM

We grown and preserve our own vegetables, use cloth diapers and wipes and greet our neighbors by name! We love the idea of cleaning the house in ten minute bursts and creating a sanctuary spot!
#258 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 08:43 PM

Loved the idea of a sanctuary spot and am also very fond of handwritten letters.

#259 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 PM

Shared on Facebook

#260 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 09:11 PM

Hi! Thanks for sharing all these tips :) We do most of them and this year the big lesson learned: Drop time limits and let learning happen at its own pace.

We have been homeschooling since the beginning and I never felt the pressure I had this year to make sure we were all 'caught up'. We live in a state that we have to report via doing a Portfolio and I guess that was part of the reason. My goal for next year is to be a master planner and allow for learning to happen on its own within the boundaries of the yearly themes.  A lesson by lesson curriculum would really help me with this :)

Thanks again!

Blessed Mama of 4 dd:  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  fly-by-nursing1.gif familybed2.gif  dishes.gif  broc1.gifnamaste.gif

#261 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 PM

I have shared this great giveaway on my FB page :)

Blessed Mama of 4 dd:  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  fly-by-nursing1.gif familybed2.gif  dishes.gif  broc1.gifnamaste.gif

#262 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 09:14 PM

And on a Homeschooling Waldorf Co-op FB page :)

#263 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 09:36 PM

Love these tips! I'm printing this out to hold onto. We just created our first vegetable garden from seed and are so excited to watch it grow. My other favorite idea on this post was a sanctuary space. My daughter created one of her own in her walk-in closet and I'm thinking of creating one in a nook for myself. Thanks!
#264 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 PM

I shared this on my fb and twitter page
#265 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 09:59 PM

I am dissapointed that we do not do as many things as I would like on this list and some would be difficult for us to implement as a family.  On the other hand, I am happy to see just how many things we already do or are things I have been planning to start. 

At this reading, the two which I find most inspiring are: 
"Share news good and bad."
and the idea of posting a wonder board.  (Really, I suppose, I already have a little something like this; I have notepad files on the desktop of my computer and there I jot down such questions that the children ask and which require some research.) 

#266 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 10:13 PM

...and shared on facebook. 
(Actually, I shared first and then responded to the thread, but I don't think that will disqualify me  ;) 

#267 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 PM

Greet neighbors by their name, inspires me to get to know more of our neighbors and learn more about the people who we pass by on a daily basis.

Open minded, easy going mama to 4 girls and a beautiful baby boy heartbeat.gif

#268 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 PM

We are looking to eliminate our paper towel dependence!

#269 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 10:56 PM

We do a lot of up cycling, especially with fabrics. I have a stack of old clothes on my sewing machine patiently waiting to be turned into skirts, nightgowns, and appliqués. 

#270 of 510 Old 05-15-2013, 10:59 PM

I shared this with my local natural families homeschool group.

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page