rough day could use some encouragement - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey ladies,

I homeschool my three children 10, 7 and 4.  This was our first year homeschooling-I've always wanted to do it but my husband wasn't onboard at first and then I got sucked into letting them go to school (seriously it is easier!).  My 7 yr old son has HATED HATED school, he did pre-school  (when he was five and it was 2 hours a day) and then half day kindergarten 3 hours, as I said never supper happy to go.  This was his first full day year and he was so miserable I couldn't take it and withdraw him from school after 2 weeks, his 4yr old sister was home (I don't usually do pre-school I only did it with my son because he was older and they offered speech to him there).  A few weeks after my 10yr decided to be homeschooled too (she's a girl and does miss the social aspects of school but decided all the testing press wasn't worth it).  So at first it was a little rough, but for the most part it has been a great year- TONS more work for me but ALL my kids are much happier.  They seemed younger, happier more engaged as a family-so many positive aspects.  One not so positive has been the TOTALLY negative attitude I have gotten from most of my mainstream family members and friends.....to top it off I am now expecting so I'm a little grumpy lower in energy the baby will be here in the winter, and I still plan on homeschooling the children next year-actual no plans to stop anytime soon.  The few friends who know I'm expecting are SO negative about me having a baby and continuing homeschooling.  Lots of are you crazy- that's too much- how can your possibly expect to teach and have a newborn-just doesn't feel fair to the kids or the baby your only one person- etc etc.  Now I've been hearing this crap all year but I for seem reason its TOTALLY getting to me today..... I don't know maybe its hormones are somethinggreensad.gif  But I needed to vent and could really use some encouragement.  Thanks!!!

#2 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 06:41 PM

The bottom line is that only you know what is best for your family.  It doesn't sound like YOU are questioning your decision one bit.  Maybe you need some one-liners to get them off your back?  I'm not so clever with those, but I wish I could help! It sounds like you've had an awesome year.  The memories you are giving your kids of being together and learning with excitement are WAY worth any distraction you carry when baby is young.  Hey, they'll also learn more about helping with baby.  I'm hoping to be in that exact same position someday =)

Blogger/Quilter + Homeschooling Mama to Aria (9) and Liam (7)
StitchedinColor.com

#3 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 05:45 AM

I have said many times..."This is what works for our family."  Who can argue with that?  How can anyone else know better than you what works for your family?  You can even sound surprised yourself..."I can't believe it, but it works so well for us.  I, too, thought it would be harder but it is actually easier." (then you appear on their side of the fence.)  It can also be repeated when the person appears to not have heard you.  :)   It is ok to sound like a broken record.

It sounds a little funny to me when people think getting 3 children, a baby, and a Mama dressed and out the door every morning by a certain time to get them to school.  That sounds crazy to me!  Every day?  We all have our own ideas of what crazy is.  Everyone's life is someone else's version of crazy.  ;) 

I know it can be depleting when you're not feeling supported by friends and family.  I think people are often well meaning...thinking that homeschooling is so much harder than sending your kids to school.  For some families it may be harder...for your family it's not.  There are many other families just like yours who have chosen homeschooling for similar reasons.  When it feels like no one supports you just remember all of us...the other families who have made the same choice.

You can do this!  

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#4 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 AM

I get the negativity from my family as well my sister and brother in law are teachers I just let everyone know my decision not yours if I wanted your opinion I would ask for it it has gotten better over all I just ignore the comments others make because I know what Im doing is the best for my kids.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#5 of 6 Old 05-18-2013, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racheleuphoria View Post

The bottom line is that only you know what is best for your family.  It doesn't sound like YOU are questioning your decision one bit.  Maybe you need some one-liners to get them off your back?  I'm not so clever with those, but I wish I could help! It sounds like you've had an awesome year.  The memories you are giving your kids of being together and learning with excitement are WAY worth any distraction you carry when baby is young.  Hey, they'll also learn more about helping with baby.  I'm hoping to be in that exact same position someday =)

I always seem to have those playing in my head for a variety of circumstances ... but I just can't commit to actually saying them out loud... orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepypeanutsmom View Post

It sounds a little funny to me when people think getting 3 children, a baby, and a Mama dressed and out the door every morning by a certain time to get them to school.  That sounds crazy to me!  Every day?  We all have our own ideas of what crazy is.  Everyone's life is someone else's version of crazy.  ;) 

I know it can be depleting when you're not feeling supported by friends and family.  I think people are often well meaning...thinking that homeschooling is so much harder than sending your kids to school.  For some families it may be harder...for your family it's not.  There are many other families just like yours who have chosen homeschooling for similar reasons.  When it feels like no one supports you just remember all of us...the other families who have made the same choice.

You can do this!  

This is so true!! Depending on your lifestyle and personality, I think that families that home educate can have such a more relaxed and calming environment over the rushing and chaos from being on the clock running from one place to the next. (There was a recent article that came out talking about how homeschooled kids actually get more and better sleep!) Well said about the crazy!

I completely agree that it can be disheartening to have a lack of support, especially if it feels constant. Do you have a community of homeschoolers in your area? I find that my more conservative and mainstream friends have a difficult time understanding most aspects of how I live. orngbiggrin.gif It can really help if you can find even just one person that is similar minded as you to have as a support, encouragement and even some camaraderie. Definitely come here when you need a pick-me-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mygirls View Post

I get the negativity from my family as well my sister and brother in law are teachers I just let everyone know my decision not yours if I wanted your opinion I would ask for it it has gotten better over all I just ignore the comments others make because I know what Im doing is the best for my kids.

It does make it more difficult when it is from close family members. hug2.gif Maybe they'd be up for reading some of the books that are pro-homeschooling written by teachers? Keep your chin up and know that you are a strong mama that is doing what's best for her family and the needs of her kids! Congratulations on the baby! It will be a beautiful experience to have all of your children present to bond and spend time with each other when the LO arrives (and until then too of course!)

Hugs!

#6 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement Ladies!!!  It's amazing how these hormones can wreck u smile.gif

Tags
Homeschooling , Education

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page