Wednesday: What are your children doing/learning today? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What are your homeschooled children up to today? What are your plans?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#2 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 11:09 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

It's early here still. We've been mopping up from yesterday's wind storm and power failure. Got some niggling electrical problems we can't sort out. We have lots of power failures here, so this is unusual. Moved a bunch of fallen branches over to the fire pit area. Checked the garden and all is well. Still need to sweep all the debris off the deck.

Dd10 is making Chocolate Swirl Dessert just now. Gelatin, whipping cream, cocoa, sugar, etc.. Currently grappling with the question of what constitutes "soft peaks" vs. "stiff peaks" with the whipping cream. After she's done she's going to try to finish the last probability & statistics review exercise in her math book, which will complete her math curriculum. She's hoping to take the final exam for the course at the local public school in a month (with a view to doing math as an elective there next year), so we'll probably start to talk about how to review and study for a testing situation. Maybe come up with a plan or a schedule. She likes schedules.

We'll probably go to town after that. We're expecting some mail-order wall maps and would like to check the post office and see if they've arrived. Maybe stop for tea at our favourite café, talk to some of the regulars. Relax. Yesterday was a chaotic, late, out-of-town day, so we need a low-key day.

This afternoon she has a violin master class and group class. I have a meeting in the evening. She'll probably hang out with her older siblings, maybe watch some sitcom episodes on-line. We'll read aloud together before bed.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We didn't do much today.  DD wasn't feeling well, so she spent most of the day just lying around.  It rained all afternoon.  I spent a lot of time just doing my own work at the computer.  The kids read a little.  I played a couple of games of chess with 7 year old DS.  He won one and I won one.  (I'm not very good at chess, and he's really good for a 7 year old.)  I had DS write a sentence and do a couple of math word problems.  He practiced the pattern he's learning in tae kwon do.  In the evening, DD was feeling better.  When DS complained about having to write a sentence when she didn't have to write anything, I suggested she could write the same sentence in cursive, and she did.  (She needs practice with cursive.)  She played her recorder for a few minutes.  Then I read aloud to both kids from Racso and the Rats of NIMH.

ETA: I forgot one educational thing that happened: I read a Zoobooks magazine about eagles to the kids.  DS and I studied the pictures of simple experiments you could do with paper illlustrating some things about wings, and talked about why they worked the way they did.

#4 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

I spent most of the morning getting ready for their Girl Scout Investiture.  The girls wanted to do a "play", so we are doing the Brownie story.  I wrote the script and designed the play to be performed with zero rehearsals, no previous knowledge of the script, and all 14 wiggly, giggly girls involved in some way--and under 10 minutes. My girls played well most of the morning, then fought while I was trying to pull everything together.  DH came home early, thankfully and I left early to get the hall ready.

DH killed our rooster this morning.  He found out about the rhubarb pie I offered the neighbor (he kills chickens) and I barely sat down to breakfast, and dh came in wanting his rhubarb pie.  So, the girls and I spent some peaceful time in the coop with the hens and the pullets, no more psycho-bird.  I feel...mmmm....a tiny bit bad--he was a gentleman with the hens, and much adored by them.  But... yeah.... nope.  No tears for this guy.

Definitely not a "schoolish" day at all!

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Tags
Homeschooling , Education

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page