Life of Fred - Question about starting as a 4th grader. - Mothering Forums
Learning at Home and Beyond > Life of Fred - Question about starting as a 4th grader.
dbsam's Avatar dbsam 11:27 AM 05-22-2013

My children are finishing third grade at a Montessori school and we may be homeschooling next year.  I’ve read about the Life of Fred math series and am considering purchasing it.  On the website, they recommend any child between 1st-4th   grade start at the first book in the series.  I’ve looked at the sample and am concerned my children will be bored or frustrated and will not want to use them. 

For those of you who have used Life of Fred, would you recommend starting at the beginning or skipping a few books?

TIA

p.s.  If we homeschool, my children have asked if they could see a math teacher on the side who uses Montessori techniques.   (They really love the Montessori math materials.)  I am hoping the Life of Fred books could supplement the Montessori math.

Momsteader's Avatar Momsteader 11:15 PM 05-23-2013

What grades are your kiddos? If you have younger kiddos who may use the books, you could pick up from the beginning, and adjust from there. My kids liked them, but found them far too 'silly' for their tastes. We moved on to Teaching Textbooks. 

dbsam's Avatar dbsam 03:45 AM 05-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momsteader View Post

What grades are your kiddos? If you have younger kiddos who may use the books, you could pick up from the beginning, and adjust from there. My kids liked them, but found them far too 'silly' for their tastes. We moved on to Teaching Textbooks. 

My children are almost nine and finish third grade today.  I do not have younger children.

Thanks for the information... I am not sure how they will like the silliness.  I thought that the silliness might make it more fun - but they might not like it.

I will check out Teaching Textbooks too.

Tags: Learning Resources
Up