how many hours of school do your middle and high schoolers do each day - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-01-2013, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How many hours of school do your middle and high schoolers do each day? And much work do they do independently and how much do they do with you?
#2 of 15 Old 06-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

I have a middle-schooler (~7th or 8th grade level). She does maybe 30-45 minutes of sit-down school per day. Mostly that is math because she loves it. Occasionally she'll do some some science or language arts work. Her skills are naturally pretty advanced, so we don't feel the need to focus on them much.

There's other stuff, but it doesn't feel like school to either of us. Lots of self-directed project work. She takes Spanish classes. Practices violin every day. Is involved in sports and gets an hour or two of outdoor activity per day. Cooks, bakes. Reads. Watches documentaries. Is read to. Listens to podcasts. Talks. Hangs out with friends. She likes to be busy, so if she's not busy, she's liable to pick up a biography, google physics demonstrations or sit down and write poetry.

Structured academics, though, amount to that 30-45 minutes five days a week, plus three hours of Spanish class per week.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 15 Old 06-03-2013, 07:49 AM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

My middle schooler (7th grade) works with me briefly for a math lesson 20-30 minutes.  Following that, she will work on the exercises 15-30 minutes.  I expect her to read for 30 minutes (no biggie, she loves to read).  This year, she used Easy Grammar and spent up to 15 min a day on it.  She wanted to study vocabulary; we used vocabtest.com.  This was self-directed but she usually spent 15 minutes/3 days per week on it.  Then, she asked me to use those words as a spelling list.  This took very little time, maybe 5-10 minutes/3 days a week.  That was the standard stuff.  

She started getting good at self-directed projects.  I gave her lots of freedom for these.  Some weeks she worked a ton on them, others not so much.  Science was about an hour each week of our "program" but she exploded science on her own a lot.  Social Studies/history was lacking this year.  We tied it in to whatever she was interested in.  History of Dance, dance around the world, famous dancers, etc (same with photography, food culture, and women's issues).  Most of her self-directed projects involved some sort of written work.  This was her choice.  She could have me give her writing assignments, or she could include them however she wanted.  She chose the latter, except that she liked random writer's prompts. . . ie you are a ball of yarn being batted around by a kitten.  

So, she usually spends between 1 and 2 hours each day.  Like Miranda said above, there is a lot that she does that I don't count in the total. . . book club, documentaries, cooking, dance team, etc.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#4 of 15 Old 06-09-2013, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

"School" goes from 9 am to 4 pm in that during those hours, he can't play games or mess around on the computer.  Not all of those hours are spent on academic subjects.  He also does chores, tends our garden, walks the dog, has lunch, runs errands, etc.  I spend about 2-3 hours in the mornings with him, mostly on Algebra I (he did the first half of the book this year, will continue through the summer and finish it next year) and spelling.  And I give him the list of what he is to be working on after lunch for language arts (reading, writing assignments, research, history and on going projects).   After lunch he is on his own with me being available for discussions and questions.  Science subjects are done in classes at the charter school but I add the home assignments to his list to help him keep on schedule with them.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#5 of 15 Old 06-09-2013, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no real idea. Each day is different, and as he got older I spent less time worrying about it or keeping track. Most important for me was "is he learning/advancing?"
If the answer was "yes", I didn't worry. Until I had to get the portfolio together, and had to find samples to include, but *that* is another topic!
#6 of 15 Old 06-09-2013, 11:18 AM

My 6th grader does about an hour a day of structured academics - mainly math, science, history, and various language arts stuff (spelling, vocab, writing).  He also goes to 2 or 3 homeschool group classes each week (science, parkour, history, art, etc) and a few other structured activities (theater, scouts, basketball, CCD).  Then there's all his self-directed time which is usually spent making movies, building/creating/modifying things, computer coding/gaming/learning, watching documentaries/movies, and spending time with friends.  So, technically, he does many many hours of "school" each day.  :)

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan

DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school

DS(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

#7 of 15 Old 06-09-2013, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If I had to estimate, my 12 year old ds spends:

- 30-60 min/day on math

- 1-2 hours a day reading independently 

- 1-2 hours/week on science

- 30 min on Spanish, 2 days/week

- 30 min on Latin, 2 days/week

- 15-60 minutes on history, 3 days/week

- 5-10 minutes on spelling, 2-3 days/week

We homeschool year round, so for me that factors into the decision to have a more relaxed schedule.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#8 of 15 Old 06-10-2013, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

My 9th grader has done 4 hours of school work per day since 6th grade. We have a 45 minute block set aside every day for one on one time. Some days we need it, some days we don't. I would have increased his schooling time to 5 hours per day last year (which includes adding Spanish to his courses), but we moved to our farm and he is too busy with farm work. However, I do think his farming work is also a wonderful education. thumb.gif

I do spend several hours every few months working on his lesson planner so he knows what he's supposed to be doing each day.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#9 of 15 Old 06-15-2013, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
My 7th grader does about 2.5-3 hours of 'sitting at the table with book and paper'. How many days varies widely; this is her first year with this much structure so she's been switching around to see what schedule works for her.

She mostly works independently, but wants me to be available for questions so I'm usually sitting with her doing my own paperwork (or fooling around online wink1.gif ) ,doing meal prep,etc.
#10 of 15 Old 06-19-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post

My 7th grader does about 2.5-3 hours of 'sitting at the table with book and paper'. How many days varies widely; this is her first year with this much structure so she's been switching around to see what schedule works for her.

She mostly works independently, but wants me to be available for questions so I'm usually sitting with her doing my own paperwork (or fooling around online wink1.gif ) ,doing meal prep,etc.

This is similar to what my 8th grader did -- about 3 hours of structured schoolwork, plus "extracurriculars" like languages, music, art, sports. She has organizational issues, so she did best with a roster of assignments on a white board every day. She liked me to be available to answer questions or check her work. For the upcoming school year, 10th grade, we're homeschooling again (she tried a year of traditional high school in between), and I expect it to be similar, except that her math and science is now at the level I can't be of much help. She'll be taking an online, interactive class for math and going to a brick and mortar class for science. So once she does her math for the day, which is expected to be about an hour, she'll probably spend another hour or two doing literature and social studies assignments (she chose World Religions for fall - should be interesting!). Science is twice a week, and then I schedule a couple of hours of time in the afternoon where she can't be browsing the internet or watching videos, but otherwise has free time. She generally chooses to spend that time and more - up to 6 hours per day - doing art, although she also plays the piano, writes stories, or rides her bike.

#11 of 15 Old 06-20-2013, 04:03 PM

I used a boxed curriculum (Laurel Springs) this year with my fifth-grader. With that, she used to spend 2-3 hours straight completing all her assignments for English, Math, Science, and Social Studies. If there were any special assignments due (such as a science experiment, art project, or composition) we would spend the evenings doing those after she returned from her extracurricular activities outside.

To all NYC moms from the Western Queens area, please check out my Examiner.com page, where I write about all the family news, views, and events happening in and around there: http://www.examiner.com/family-in-new-york/rahela-choudhury
#12 of 15 Old 06-20-2013, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Soon to be 13 yr old, working at the high school level.   Probably 3-4 hrs a day,  he does intensive study of either math or science then does reading/history/ english etc for the rest of the time.  He is just starting honors chemistry and i'm not sure how much time that is going to take each day, some days have a lab, others are just 'watch the movie and take a quiz' type thing.  He still reads over 1000 pages a week for fun!

Trust me, its not an over abundance of 'work' around here.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#13 of 15 Old 06-25-2013, 03:29 PM

Zebra, if you don't mind me asking - what curriculum are you using for chemistry? Is it part of a school? DD is signed up for an outside class, but I'm not thrilled about it, since it's a half-hour drive and is also really expensive. However, we really don't want to do just a textbook. Something with labs and movies sounds great.

#14 of 15 Old 06-25-2013, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grethel View Post

Zebra, if you don't mind me asking - what curriculum are you using for chemistry? Is it part of a school? DD is signed up for an outside class, but I'm not thrilled about it, since it's a half-hour drive and is also really expensive. However, we really don't want to do just a textbook. Something with labs and movies sounds great.

He is enrolled with CTY (johns hopkins center for talented youth).  Its a high school honors class.  I *think* you can just buy access to the class via an online service but I'm not sure if the labs are there and honestly I really need the teacher support because i can not teach honors science. FWIW, this is not a textbook, its all online, lots of printing for the binder if you want the powerpoints but no text!  DS loves CTY, has been with them 3 or 4 years and I can not speak highly enough of the program.

They have similar programs at stanford and laurel springs (both online and honors level) but we have not used them.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#15 of 15 Old 06-26-2013, 01:16 PM

We also have a block of time during the day when the boys can't be playing games.  In that time, we do about 45 mins of math, 30 mins of reading and an hour or so of science and history. We also walk the dog, cook food, watch documentaries and go to a co-op one day a week.  I'm throwing in Spanish next week and also looking at some ways to have them do more things independently.   

Tags
Homeschooling , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page