Singapore math - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-03-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son has been through 2B and 3A. I found both texts second hand, so we ended up with the textbook and teacher guide for both. I haven't been able to find 3B second hand yet, so may buy it. I wasn't sure if I should get the workbook and textbook and teachers guide... The guide has had a lot of games and explanation on methods to do the math work. I often photocopy things from the textbook for my son to work on. He is very much a math kid and could be more independent with his work. I wonder if the workbook would help with this? I guess I am confused about how much I should buy. Thanks you for any advice!

#2 of 7 Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

I think there are a number of different ways to make Singapore Math work, and which you choose depends on your philosophy, your child's aptitude, learning style and preference for collaborative vs. independent work. 

In our case I ordered our initial materials via surface mail from Singapore back in 2002 or so. Singapore Math was just gaining traction as a homeschool curriculum at that point and there were no such things as Teacher's Guides. So we ended up with textbooks and workbooks. As time went on my kids gravitated towards using the workbooks primarily -- or even exclusively. They loved the independence and the feeling of "using up" a workbook to completion. We only used the explanatory information in the textbook very rarely and I don't think they ever did the exercises from the textbook. The workbook stuff was sufficient for them to gain mastery. They also enjoyed the variety of exercise formats  in the workbook (especially the self-checking puzzle-like exercises) and their unintimidating uncluttered layout. 

So yeah, my kids really liked the workbooks. Those were their primary resource and for better or for worse we never used the Teacher's Guides at all. That being said, we are a very "mathy" family, and the kids did do Miquon Math informally as a prequel to Singapore. It's very conceptual and hands-on, with lots of use of manipulatives and games. We transitioned over to Singapore at the 2B-ish level, and it seemed that at that stage they no longer wanted or needed clever games, manipulatives and exercises to introduce concepts. On rare occasions when they did, I had such a lot of experience with the Miquon way of doing things that it was easy to create those things myself. So maybe that's why I never felt a desire for Teacher's Guides.

You'll find people who swear by the Teacher's Guides for various reasons, or by the textbooks. Or by the workbooks, or combinations of two of the three facets. As I say, there are different ways to make the program a success. Perhaps you could buy all three components of the next level or two, and see what you and your ds end up preferring ... and then stick with that mix for the remainder of the program?

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 7 Old 06-03-2013, 10:18 AM

My DD loves the workbook as well.  The textbook isn't really a big deal for us.  I feel like we should have it- but a quick little skim over it and then onto the workbook.  I personally wouldn't care about finding one used- they are online for like $10.  My teachers guide is basically a schedule and key words and answers- so if it didn't come with my set for free I wouldn't pay extra for it.  I have bought DD's set from MFW and then I have bought DS's workbooks from Hepners.  Additionally there are extra practice workbooks and intensive workbooks for each level- I have both for level 2 and they are awesome to supplement a math kid with.  Some days we have light and fun and other days we have a challenge.  Or you could print off worksheets off math-aids.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#4 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

For level one, I ordered only the workbook and my son went through it without a problem.  For level two, I ordered both the text and workbooks.  I wanted my son to get used to the idea of looking stuff up for himself in the text in case he got stuck on a problem in the workbooks.  The texts are written in a very simple, generally clear, manner.  I have never used the teacher guides.  

#5 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input. While not a mathy family, my ds is definitely a mathy kid... and Singapore has worked well for us so far.  I guess I could try getting all of the material for the next level and see how it goes. We are very child led in our homeschooling so I have found several other math books that look like he would enjoy, but I am trying to pair down on what I buy for math for budget reasons. I am  interested in trying the Life of Fred books with both my kids for fun, as well as getting the miquoin books for my dd who will be 5 in the Fall... I was also looking at the beast academy books and thought that those looked good, but will probably wait until he is done with the first part of singapore. Math is the only curriculum I tend to buy and I am having a hard time deciding what to get my first time buying something new!

#6 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 08:15 PM

I have a very mathy kid. We use Singapore 2B textbook, IP, and CWP. I don't use the workbook at this point. It's just too much repetition for DS.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#7 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post

I don't use the workbook at this point. It's just too much repetition for DS.

I gave my kids the option of doing either the textbook or the workbook -- both would have been overkill for them. They much preferred the workbook. All kids are different, aren't they?

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page