Microscopes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-06-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

It is time for us to get a microscope.  We will be using level 2 Biology from Pandia Press (Real Science Odyssey).  In this curriculum, they have microscope labs.  They aren't 'required', of course, but my kids have been wanting a microscope for a while now.  I like the idea that the microscope labs will get us started.  

So, my first reaction was to just go to Home Science Tools and order a microscope.  I was looking at this one:  http://www.hometrainingtools.com/home-microscope/p/MI-4100STD/  and this one:  http://www.hometrainingtools.com/kids-microscope/p/MI-1100STD/  Our budget isn't huge, I need to stay under $200, but would like to spend less if I can get a decent one for less.  

I know NOTHING about them except I do want a monocular microscope.  Binocular is pointless for us, one of our daughters has monocular vision.  

I was also looking on ebay and saw a bunch by AmScope.  I have never heard of them, but they are less $$$ it seems and they had a lot of choices.  

Have any of you bought a microscope?  I believe our curriculum advises a compound microscope, but I don't even know the difference between compound and ? Not compound.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#2 of 4 Old 06-06-2013, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://www.magiscope.com/

this is what we have, and it is fantastic. No batteries, no cord. Take it anywhere! Guaranteed for life if you have a problem. 

Most of the microscopes that are commonly available are junk or toys that don't really do what you want.  We have the magiscope, two different prepared slide sets, blank slides and different lenses for different viewing.

Due to the nature of the scope, if you use higher magnification I find it is helpful to have a small flashlight available to give extra light. 

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#3 of 4 Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Thanks RedPajama.  Which version did you get?  Have you used it for slides, etc or just for on the go exploring?

amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#4 of 4 Old 06-07-2013, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i think we've got the 70. We've got various eye pieces and 3 different objectives. The highest magnification is difficult to use unless one is very patient, because it's hard to find the subject in the field.  

We have blank slides, and we've seen great stuff-- bugs' wings, cells in various plant parts. I've even placed my own blood on a slide with a cover slip and watched it congeal. I could actually see the cells slow down, clump, and then loose individual distinction. 

You can take it and use it without slides, but we haven't done much of that.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)

Tags
Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page