Pre-k secular curriculum - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-08-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I am looking for some recommendations on a curriculum for my 4 year old dd. I am trying to structure our days a little more but looking for something that will leave us room for outside activities that we have going on. I should mention thAt my DD is very spirited and still has VERY short attention span. She loves to pretend and play make believe - also loves doing crafts - sing and dance. She is not really into worksheets too much - she quickly loses interest. I have a 6 month old who is very spirited as well and needs my constant attention. I am looking for something that I can do in short time increments that doesn't require a lot of instruction or preparation on my part.

Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 06-08-2013, 12:41 PM
AAK

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

You truly don't need any curriculum for pre-k.  However, since you asked, we liked this for math skills:  http://www.singaporemath.com/Earlybird_Kindergarten_Math_STD_ED_Activity_Bk_A_p/ebstdaa.htm  I know it says kindergarten.  However, it seems to work well for prek also.  My dd wanted schoolwork "too" at the time, so we ordered this (and book B).  We liked it because it wasn't just writing and copying.  There were lots of activities that involved cutting and glue.  She loved cutting and glue.  

If my kids were little enough I would do All About Reading because I loved their spelling program so much.  However, we did use the books before the Explode the Code books.  These are called Ready for the Code, Get Set for the Code, and Go for the Code.  They were great at introducing the consonants and consonant sounds.  (Vowel sounds get done in Explode the Code).  I like how it wasn't just writing letters over and over like with some prek workbooks.  Here is a link:  http://www.rainbowresource.com/searchspring.php?q=getting+ready+for+the+code  

However, my kids loved the Melissa and Doug "Number Train" and "Alphabet Train" puzzles.  I would scatter the pieces and they would hunt for the next one. . . what comes after 1?  Let's see if we can find it?  Etc.  http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/012540/ff09d197f1450a3b33ea7a27

My kids did like to have workbooks, so we had some hidden picture and some early mazes around.  We also read a lot, did lots of puzzles, played outside, cooked, played dress up, pretend, danced, etc.  I gave them lots of time to play uninterrupted and unguided.  They learn well that way.  They have also enjoyed helping with the garden, our pets, etc.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 8 Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Amy for your input! I think I am going with your recommendations and get the Singapore math activity books - looks like my dd will enjoy them smile.gif
As for reading, have you heard of Alpha -Phonics? Is it something I could combine with Explode the code?
#4 of 8 Old 06-09-2013, 07:48 PM

We are planning Right Start A and the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading for DD this fall. Beyond that, she's always tagging along with her big brother who will be doing the full contingent of school work (math, LA, history, science, art, music, etc.) this fall.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 8 Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 PM
AAK

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggles06 View Post

Thank you Amy for your input! I think I am going with your recommendations and get the Singapore math activity books - looks like my dd will enjoy them smile.gif
As for reading, have you heard of Alpha -Phonics? Is it something I could combine with Explode the code?

I have not heard of Alpha-Phonics (I just looked it up though).  It sounds pretty good.  One thing about Explode the code is that I found that it went well with other programs.  My middle child used it as review, it was never her spine.  I don't see why they couldn't be used together.  

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#6 of 8 Old 06-10-2013, 01:25 PM

littleacornlearning.com best prek program out there IMHO. it is waldorf flavored so very light and easy to incorporate in to a real life rhythm. I think they still have 2 weeks you can download for free on their website.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#7 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 12:43 AM

#8 of 8 Old 06-13-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for great suggestions! After some more research I decided to go with Singapore Math for K and All about reading combined with Explode the code. There is so much out there that it makes making a decision very difficult! The Waldorf inspired curricula sound really cool, but I am just not very crafty person! Lol. My dd does art lessons outside of home. She loves drawing, painting, playdough but she usually does it on her own, meaning no direction from me at all. I am just not that into crafts.

I think this combo will be a good fit for us smile.gif

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page