Starting a Homeschool Daisy Scout Troop in NE Ohio? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-19-2013, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone!

I live in Kent, and I was just wondering if any of you would be interested in starting a Daisy Scout troop just for homeschoolers in our area.  I have not been a leader before, but I'm willing to learn!  (Or, conversely, if someone who has been a leader before is interested, that would work too!)  If you are interested, then send me your name and contact information so we can get organized before fall!

By the way...if there already are homeschool troops in the area, could you let me know that?  They're hard to find!

Thanks!  Hope you'll join us!

#2 of 4 Old 06-22-2013, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

bump.gif

Have you asked your council?  I know ours knew about which troops were HSing ones (they were pretty obvious, meeting on a Tuesday at 1:00!)  There was one in our region, but we chose one a little closer to us that wasn't.  One, in a region crawling with HSers!

I wouldn't wait long before stepping up to be a leader.  I was reluctant, but I stepped up because there was a troop waiting to get organized and they needed a second leader.  Now, after much *dis*orientation, I'm glad I did.  I really couldn't imagine doing this without having my hand in the pot.  What was I thinking?

Anyway, that might be the fastest way to getting a troop started.  If you do put your name in, ask if you can start taking the required classes you'll need-- (in my council) Getting Started and Girl Scouting 101.  Especially ask if you can take some workshops--they are usually free at this level-- Jump Into Journeys, Songs, SWAPS, Outdoor 1 which allows you to take troops on field trips.  There is a lot of "meat" in those workshops that I wish they presented at the first two.  Hopefully your council is better at starting you off right than ours.

Good luck!  We've had loads of fun, and it has been a great way to form friendships with  other girls.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 4 Old 07-04-2013, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't live in your area, but I wanted to suggest that instead of Girl Scouts you check out Frontier Girls.  Its more homeschool friendly and you don't have to sell anything.  That's what we did for our homeschool group and the girls just love it!

http://frontiergirlsclubs.com/

#4 of 4 Old 07-04-2013, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

Thanks for the heads up about this option, and I'm glad to hear your girls are having a positive experience with them, but I have some points to make:

Fronteir Girls look very Girl Scoutish, but is self-described as "Biblically based" and patriot badges are required for every level.  While Girl Scouts does have "to serve God and my country" in their Promise, girls and troops are encouraged to substitute the word "God"as necessary and citizen badges are not requirements.  

Girl Scouts can be done perfectly well for homeschoolers, either individually as Julliettes, or as a homeschooling troop.  The badge requirements are flexible, and there is really no "wrong way" to earn them.  Journeys can be tailored to each individual situation.

Girl Scouts is an open, inclusive organization, unlike Boy Scouts, and does not discourage openly gay and transgender membership-- girls or leaders.  Just thought I'd mention that.

You do not have to participate in cookie sales, but if you want to do ANY other fundraising, girls must.  

Also unsaid but important:  there is an extensive system of financial aid, both for uniforms and events but also camps.  Each is a bit different depending on which council you are in.  With 2 girls in scouting, I would be hard pressed to afford two sets of everything, and their books and vests, an expensive outdoor workshop and day camp for both of them have all been covered by this aid.  Dues are covered, if required by the troop, up to a certain amount as well.

Girl Scout troops have a lot of freedom to make their experience whatever they wish.  If they want to ignore badges, they can.  If they want to be all about camping, they can.  If they want to do all wilderness training, or even just leadership skills, they can.  You (the leader) and the girls make the experience what they want.  GIRL LED is not an official motto, but it is at the heart of the organization.

I'm not selling Girl Scouts over other alternatives--Fronteir Scouts sounds like a good option, especially for families who miss the central focus of God and Country in scouting today--  but I don't want people to have a mistaken notion of what girl scouting is or isn't.  I know my eyes have been opened as I have met so many other moms and leaders with the same focus as mine.  Surprise!  Not only is Girl Scouts a lot about outdoor skills, those are what keeps the girls engaged over the years after the novelty of the badges wears off.  I am impressed at the level of knowledge and skill some of the leaders have that are teaching me.  These women are amazing.

meko likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page