teaching spanish - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Ok- so I am super nervous.  I pulled my dd out of a bilingual school to homeschool.  I am super nervous but for a lot of reasons I think this is important.  I want my kids to speak spanish and I do speak spanish.  However, I don't know why I don't just take the jump to start speaking it.  Any suggestions on how to introduce it? Or how to transition into speaking this in our home?

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  
#2 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How fluent of a Spanish speaker are you?  What about the kids?  Just wondering how comfortable both you and the kids are in the language.  I think the levels of fluency in your family determines how deep you jump in and how you introduce it.  If your kids are just starting out, then you may have to speak both English and Spanish in the house slowly replacing the English words with Spanish words they know.  Then you could gradually go to full, simple, Spanish sentences.  Otherwise, if your kids' understanding of your communication is too limited, they will begin to get frustrated with you and the language. 

Do your children watch TV?  I'd go full on Spanish on TV, if I were you.  My children watch stuff in other languages and they don't seem to mind.  Unlike in their communication with a parent, a full on understanding of the language is not essential to enjoy entertainment TV.  Bilingual books, apps, computer games should help too.  

Good luck with your homeschooling journey smile.gif

#3 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.  I used to be absolutely fluent- but haven't been able to use it for several years so now it is more I can hold a conversation.  I am trying to refresh- my idea was to look up what activities we are doing in spanish that day- cleaning, crafts, baking, swimming, etc, and refresh some vocab about that.  

I like the idea of playing spanish cartoons/movies and books.  I will keep my eye out for some.  They do watch pocoyo in spanish sometimes.  I could youtube sesame street in spanish too. Thanks!

Loving wife hug2.gif and Mama to hippie.gifBella (11), joy.gifArydona (6), guitar.gifKai (5) and Trin candle.gif born sleeping on 12/21/13 makebabe.gif ttc our next bundle of joy! ....intactlact.gif,hang.gif  homeschool.gif  
#4 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granolamommie View Post

Ok- so I am super nervous.  I pulled my dd out of a bilingual school to homeschool.  I am super nervous but for a lot of reasons I think this is important.  I want my kids to speak spanish and I do speak spanish.  However, I don't know why I don't just take the jump to start speaking it.  Any suggestions on how to introduce it? Or how to transition into speaking this in our home?

Does your fam like music much?  For me, music is key.  I taught myself Spanish from listening to Spanish music.  And not just Spanish: French and Portuguese and Hindi too.  There is sooo much good Latin music out there of so many kinds.  Let me know your favorite English speaking musicians and I'll try to suggest something similar, but Spanish speaking.

Once you get back fluency, you can get your kids into age-appropriate songs and lessons.

#5 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well I already love Juanes.  And Shakira.  But I hadn't thought of letting the kids listen.  Those were songs I listened to so many years ago.  I bet I could buy some Spanish kids songs too - a cd - and that would help.  Thanks!!

#6 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 06:36 PM

Tengo

Tengo la camisa negra!

Great song to learn by. I grew up in an extremely musical household of hippies and was only exposed to adult music and still absorbed it all really well as a kid.  Good luck!

#7 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

When my ex fiancé and I broke up (he was from El Salvador and how I became fluent- his mom didn't speak English)  I used Mala Gente to get me through!! lol  I used to have his cd but I don't know where it is  now

Tags
Homeschooling , Education

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page