Homeschoolers can perform on standardized tests and adjust to any environment - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-11-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Y'all, it's been a while since I popped in here. Over the past two years, I've started working almost full-time at night, gotten published (unrelated to homeschooling), and had brain surgery (not cancer, just a neuroma). I still homeschool my middle-grader (very relaxed Waldorf/MI/unschool influenced.)

Today my eldest's story is being featured on Brain, Child Magazine's blog and I thought that some of you might find it reassuring. It isn't often that homeschoolers get to have that one moment of proof that everything you did--or failed to do--was alright. More often I feel insecure, and receive reprimands from unsupportive family members even as we wrap up awesome afternoons of learning together. So here's my moment, warts and all, when my son found out he was in contention for a National Merit Scholarship. Never let anyone tell you that kids have to practice filling in dots for years to perform well on standardized tests.

http://www.brainchildmag.com/brain-mother/

I hope your moment comes quite soon. So happy,

Lucie

PS: I'll check back in case anyone has questions about process
Bleu and LoveOurBabies like this.
#2 of 4 Old 07-11-2013, 04:44 PM

You rock star! Congrats on both of you getting published. I'm going to share your kid's piece in Brain, Child with all my homeschool friends! 

wonderactivist likes this.
#3 of 4 Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Bleu!
#4 of 4 Old 07-12-2013, 03:16 AM

Hey! I read your piece last night -- a friend posted it on Facebook. Wonderful to read! Congrats! It mirrored my story -- my daughter took the EXPLORE test last year in 5th grade as part of a talent search. It's an 8th grade test. She rocked it, including getting a perfect score in English. We do very little structured academics, but she reads all the time, which is obviously a very effective way to learn! Yay, unschooling!
wonderactivist likes this.

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page