Planning First Grade - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone else with a 6 year old and planning first grade? I'd love some ideas and in-put, as this will be our first year using any kind of curriculum.

Math: Math-U-See Beta

Reading: Unstructured; she reads fluently, so we'll just continue reading!

Writing: Handwriting without Tears Second Grade (I'd love some feedback on what I really need to get: Is the blackboard with double lines, wall cards, or desk strips worth it?); Bravewriter Arrow (Would Partnership Writing be worth it?)

Science: No idea, but with a new baby, I'd love something quick, easy, with minimal adult set-up!

History: She reads a lot of historical fiction, so I might not do a formal curriculum this year, but I'd love to know what's out there for this age group.

What are you doing this year with your six year old?

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#2 of 8 Old 07-17-2013, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For science, if you don't mind something informal, I highly recommend Bill Nye, the Science Guy videos. There is also the magic school bus series, which i didn't care for, but you may like it. Writing can be pretty informal too, unless she enjoys it and is asking for more. My oldest and I pass notes to each other, for example.

There is going to be a lot of interesting things to learn with a baby on the way:). Feeding her reading and working on math is enough, IMHO.
#3 of 8 Old 07-18-2013, 07:34 PM

for handwriting without tears, the book used alone is fine.  The blackboard is really just a small blackboard shaped like a rectangle with edges for the chalk to run along.  You can make do without.

#4 of 8 Old 07-23-2013, 09:34 AM

I really like a structured curriculum.  For science, "Building Foundations For Scientific Understanding" is awesome.  I bought it for about $25 on Amazon.  I used it for Kindergarten, and I will use it this year for Grade 1 and next year in Grade 2.  Pretty good for $25. I am going to try R.E.A.L Science Odyssey this year too.  We watch Bill Nye, and of course The Magic Schoolbus.

For Social Studies I just follow along with the public school curriculum, and enrich where needed.

We like Saxon Math.

For Language Arts, I used McRuffy complete phonics curriculum last year and I can't say I love, love, love it....but we are going to use the next level this year because my son did really well with it last year.

My son doesn't like printing workbooks.  I make suggestions here and there on how he can form his letters properly and he makes great progress that way.

caffix.gif

#5 of 8 Old 07-24-2013, 05:37 PM

We are starting 1st grade also,

I like http://www.science4us.com/ as one science resource

We get it free, as we participated in the beta.

#6 of 8 Old 07-26-2013, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna Morris View Post

We are starting 1st grade also,

I like http://www.science4us.com/ as one science resource

We get it free, as we participated in the beta.

I just checked it out.  It looks very interesting.  Do you have access to more than one grade level per child? 

caffix.gif

#7 of 8 Old 07-30-2013, 03:54 PM

I have a first grade-aged child...he is my third, so he's exposed to a lot of things that my older two weren't doing at that age, simply because he's there! 

Reading - 100 Easy Lessons...we've been working on this very slowly.  I need to get a routine down with him, because it's not happening like I'd like!

Writing - Handwriting without Tears.  I found the tiny blackboard useful, but that's it.  I also do love their lined paper (my oldest two still use it)

Science - We do science-y things all the time in daily life, so I probably wouldn't go out of my way normally to do more with a 6 year old. However, because his two siblings are doing a co-op type thing with other HS'ers where science is being taught, he will also do it.  This year we'll be using Real Science Odyssey biology for the older kids, and another mom is going to use the 1-3 version for the younger ones.  RSO is great for laying things out well, and requiring little prep on the adults' part!  We used it last year for chemistry (older kids) and everyone enjoyed it. 

In this same co-op ds2 will also be doing Spanish and ukelele. 

Math - Calvert, just because I have it. 

History - another mom is doing stuff with my older kids from History Odyssey.  Ds2 is, as usual, along for the ride, so I'm sure he'll pick some things up even though it's not really age appropriate. 

Writing - we do a student newspaper for the older kids, and ds2 wants to participate this year.  He can't actually write of course, so I'll have him dictate stories to me. 

I think that's about it!

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#8 of 8 Old 07-30-2013, 07:36 PM

Hi there, for my first grader I am planning on using teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons, handwriting without tears, the story of the world volume 1, r.e.a.l. Science odyssey - life science, early American history by bare feet books, life of Fred (apples) and miquon for math, artistic pursuits for art, song school Latin, a child's garden of verses for poetry...and lots of fairy tales and read aloud s. we also follow ambleside onlines schedule for composer and artist study, history, literature, and folksong. Looking forward to seeing what others are doing as well!

Tags
Homeschooling , Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page