Our home school is becoming a 'bed school' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are planning to home school for the first time this year.  So, we started lightly schooling this summer. 

For most things, we all end up in my bed; the kids with books or clipboards to do their work.  Often we end up taking a little nap after working a bit.  This is not what I expected!

Should I stop this habit now?  It seems harmless, but odd, to me.  (My sister thinks it is starting a bad habit.)

Does anyone else do this?

My children are 9 and starting fourth grade.  They've spent the last two years in a Montessori school so they are used to working wherever they want and not having desks.

eta:   The type of work they are doing in bed are Life of Fred (math), Wordly Wise (vocabulary), and reading...nothing requiring neat cursive wink1.gif

#2 of 6 Old 07-19-2013, 05:55 PM

One of the things I have learnt by raising two babies/kids is not to spend a minute worrying about "setting up bad habits". Total waste of parental angst, IMNSHO. 

If it works for you, do it. 

Homeschooling changes over time as the kids age, as you all learn new ways of doing things. Frankly what you describe sounds lovely and my bet is that one day in the not-too-distant-future you will look back on those days hanging out in bed and shed a few tears that they are past you now. 

If you are all happy, go for it. 

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 6 Old 07-20-2013, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
That sounds like a great idea to me! Might have to suggest that to my girls tomorrow.

Don't let your sister worry you about it......I'm 100% sure your kids aren't going to demand a bed in their office 15 years from now. wink1.gif
#4 of 6 Old 07-20-2013, 04:04 AM

Oh wow, sounds like a fun and delightful school that I'd look froward to going to! Such a comfortable atmosphere! And yeah, as a parent I'm sure you know already things change and kids have soooo many phases so I'd just do what works for now.

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#5 of 6 Old 07-20-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all. 

Over the years, I have explained to my family that the kids will not need to sleep with us when they are 18, and that they are getting enough protein as vegetarians, and that it is fine they do not want to join soccer or gymnastics, etc.

I am just nervous and concerned that I will fail at home schooling.  I've read so many threads in the home schooling forum...I s/h remembered to not listen to everything everyone says.

Thanks!

#6 of 6 Old 07-20-2013, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post

I'm 100% sure your kids aren't going to demand a bed in their office 15 years from now. wink1.gif

This is funny!

When I worked, I had a couch in my office.  And there were days I closed the door as if I was taking a lunch break but actually took a nap.  Maybe the need to nap after working is genetic smile.gif

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page