average cost of homeschooling - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 07-23-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am signing up my kids for classical conversations ($950 for two kids) and then

I want to buy saxon math (200$) and sonlight language arts ($100) for my 3rd grader. 

My younger child is 4 years old, so I feel like I can spend $50 or less on workbooks, playing games, etc

Is a total of $1300 excessive for homeschooling 2 kids

I am nervous that I will mess up,  and I feel like saxon and sonlight are 'home runs' for me.  Perhaps next year I will be able to put together a less expensive curriculum, but right now, Im still getting my sea legs.

Of course, Classical Conversations is the real expense, and we are definitely doing that. 

#2 of 24 Old 07-23-2013, 02:17 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Not excessive if that's what you want, but it's a lot more than I spend. Every year my homeschooled child is allotted $750 through our umbrella school for homeschooling supplies / curriculum / classes. If it weren't for violin lessons and gymnastics classes, there's no way we'd be able to spend it. We've never spent more than $200 on actual curriculum: the rest is spent on violin, gymnastics, novels to read for pleasure, office supply type stuff, general art supplies. 

Generally I think people feel the need to spend more the first year or two they're homeschooling, because they don't realize how simple it can be to follow a child's interests and common sense and build knowledge and skills that the way. I'm not saying you're spending too much, just that you may find as time goes on that you don't feel you need that much. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 24 Old 07-23-2013, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I don't know what the average cost is, or the average cost for people who buy curriculum, but our cost is pretty close to zero.  I do spend money on some educational things - a Snap Circuits set, museum visits, a caterpillar field guide, a good net for collecting insects, etc.  But a lot of that is money I'd spend even if my kids were in school, so the additional cost just because we're homeschooling is almost nothing.

#4 of 24 Old 07-23-2013, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

A million ways to homeschool, a million ways to spend money.  You can spend zero, you can spend a million. You can spend it all on books and lessons, you can spend it all on field trips.  I dont think there is an 'average'.  I've had years where we've traveled and called that 'homeschooling'  I've had years where a simple library card was sufficient.  Right now tuition for classes runs $704 every 12 weeks plus swim team $75/month then add in a theater class $200/8 weeks and gosh, who knows what else might come along...  the only 'schooly' thing is the $704 but...

There are amazon book orders, a possible new Kindle for kiddo, talks of switching to a different online school sometime this year or next which is more $$ but a better pre-university program so, it depends on your kid, what your kid wants and honestly where your kid wants to go.

Should I include legos in my accounting? art supplies?  The total really adds up if those things get added on.

Like Daffodil says, i would be spending *most* of this money anyway, even if kiddo was in traditional school.  How much of it is homeschool money??  eh at this point I give up.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 24 Old 07-24-2013, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Without home school, I would put my 4 year old in preschool... So about $150 a month for 9 months....
#6 of 24 Old 07-24-2013, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

$250 was the avg number touted when my oldest was little but that was 10+ years ago. I think your numbers sound fine. Like others said, it is really personal, what you can afford and what is a priority for your family. 

If I had the room and money, I could easily spend thousands building a library but we are short on both and get by on pretty little. 

#7 of 24 Old 07-24-2013, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Depends.  I buy used whenever I can.  Amazon has Saxon 3 home school kit for as little as $63.50. http://www.amazon.com/Math-Home-Study-Kit-Homeschool/dp/156577020X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374685221&sr=8-2&keywords=saxon+math+3  I've used the library for literature, history, and science in the early grades.  We spent more for admission (and gas) to museums, parks, zoo, etc. than we did for textbooks or courses. 

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#8 of 24 Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

OP: I guess it depends on your budget.  Is $1300 a lot of money for your family?

It would be for us.  But for others, that'd be a drop in the pan.

We spend nothing on curriculum (dd is 4.5, but we have no plans to purchase curriculum as she and her brother get older either), but we do travel a lot, so we do spend money on camping fees and airline tickets and that sort of thing, all in the name of life-learning.

We get >200 books a month from the library.

We've been gifted a membership to the local science centre, and are asking for a membership to the aquarium for our ds's birthday.

We did purchase a $12 membership to the biodiversity museum.

DD's interest is Natural Science at the moment, so we have spent money on bug boxes and ID books and dissection tools.  But not a lot.  And like a previous poster said, we'd be acquiring that stuff even if she were in school.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#9 of 24 Old 07-24-2013, 11:19 AM

The biggest expense of homeschooling for us is childcare; I work part-time. After that for two kids we might spend somewhere around $500 on books, art/taekowndo/other classes and supplies.
#10 of 24 Old 07-24-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Yes 1300 is a lot for us
#11 of 24 Old 07-25-2013, 09:59 AM

If $1300 is a lot for you then I'd maybe think about project-based homeschooling or child led learning, where the only curriculum is that which arises from your kids' unique interests. But then I'm biased... That's what we're doing. It can be as cheap as free, thanks to your local library.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#12 of 24 Old 07-25-2013, 12:46 PM

Well, I'm not sure how much we spend. Almost nothing on stuff that looks like curricula, especially nowadays. Almost everything we buy or spend on I certainly could be buying if they were in school. They'd have music lessons, the various, cheap, drop in, sport stuffs available in the local community. We'd have a good range of arts stuff and electronics and kid gardening equipment, and we'd buy decent ingredients and let them experiment with cooking. We'd be using petrol to drive them places and we'd have orchestra and band subs. Of course we'd buy books for them.

I think the difference lies in the sheer amount of stuff we're buying and the actitivities they are doing. My kids, I am sure, do far more actitivities than if they were in school and tired at the end of the day. My daughter would not be learning three instruments at age 8.  They have clubs or classes or sports locally most nights (all of which can be skipped on any given day, they are all completely drop-in and its their choice to go). Most local kids do some, my kids do pretty much everything, sometimes two things a night. Given that they generally don't do much in the day, this seems ok balance wise. 

They wouldn't be using the amount of arts materials and yarn and potting compost and electronics and so on stuff. They are really not wasteful at all, its just that good, or even reasonable, quality stuff does cost money. Clay. Thread and needles for the sewing machine. Sandpaper. Masking tape and brushes. Really not unreasonable stuff, and stuff that's looked after and used by everyone but still. They would not get through books at the rate they do, which gives us to some extent the choice of an expensive bus trip (cost of two paperbacks) to the big town library or buying more. Even pens and paper and so on.

We also do probably spend more on holidays than we otherwise would-almost entirely camping and staying with family but still. 

So I'm not sure exactly how much homeschooling is costing us, because I think its a complex question. We do pretty much unschool, and my kids are aware financially and are pretty thoughtful about the family finances. But just having them around and providing fairly basic, well used, stuff for them to follow their interests does certainly add up.

Another thing that adds up is clothing. My kids are quite free range and spend a lot of time outdoors. A few years ago the older two each had a taster day at the local school and, even though it was raining, both were told that they didn't need to bring in their coats. Ditto with Scouts nowadays-it seems most kids locally don't have full sets of waterproofs, for example. That's no criticism of schooling parents, but the reality of our lifestyle is spending money on a range, including some spares, of suitable clothing for our island climate, and that does add up. ETA sorry to clarify in the UK almost all school kids have a uniform and that uniform for state, (public) schools is pretty cheap, and robust. Obviously my kids don't have a uniform but they also don't have a life that is homogenous and predictable enough to not need a fair bit of all weather, robust clothing.

I'd see it as us having made a reasonably expensive, luxurious lifestyle choice around our kids having a lot of freedom, the materials/classes/clothing and homeschooling really being an outcome of that, rahter than these being costs of unschooling.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#13 of 24 Old 08-02-2013, 01:52 PM

This is our first year. I pulled DS8 at the Christmas break, and I will keep DS5 home this fall. We had some start up costs this year for art supplies and a white board, etc. that should level out. While they are in elementary I hope to be able to do everything for about $1000 a year. That includes curriculum, online resources, art and office supplies, specific homeschool field trips. It also includes outsourced classes (right now just a fun PE class). It does not include swim team or piano or family vacations that happen to be educational because we would do those regardless.
#14 of 24 Old 08-02-2013, 05:06 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Each year is different for us, this is what we are spending this year that wouldn't be spent if they were in public school.

3 kids totaling about $340 for curriculum and materials.  I might add a foreign language thing for Anna.  There is also a homeschool poetry class that runs 4 weeks.  It is $25.  I might sign the two older kids up for that.  There will be some fieldtrips with a local homeschool fieldtrip group ($10-$20/month is what I expect)

I am buying a microscope this year. 

I don't count dance/gymnastics/sports/piano as homeschool because I would expect to do that anyways. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#15 of 24 Old 08-03-2013, 04:08 PM

I don't think $1300 sounds too bad considering 2 kids in CC- that is expensive- but I would totally try to do it if there were CC close to me.  And it would definitely be hard on our budget.  

DH and I were talking about this very subject this morning.  I would like to make an enormous Timberdoodle order about Christmas time (cause that is how I roll- educational gifts? Yes please lol).  That is also where we usually buy new curriculum and go up a grade which is convenient cause there are usually good sales at the end of the year.

Last year (at Christmas time again) I bought the deluxe set for 2nd grade from MFW and some a couple workbooks to replace the used 1st grade ones.  I also bought a years worth of Singapore for DD and a singapore workbook for DS.  There was a random game and perhaps a few other things.  If I remember correctly with sales and shipping it ended up being about $400.  Of course I already had most of the 1st grade stuff from DD.  Then I put in a supplemental Amazon and CBD order and that was probably $100 total.  And random school supplies that I buy every year at this time at Target ($25).  So that is what $525?  And I should add on the $75 I spent on awesome things at the homeschool conference.  So that makes $600 (and remember I had a lot already- so 2 kids starting out could easily run me $1000 I think).

I kind of use out library.  Ours is small and I try to just stay home rather than go to a larger but further away library.  They will order books on the interlibrary loan- but it is a pain and I still have to pay shipping- so Amazon ends up being a pretty good deal for me.

I am sure I could go cheaper- and I KNOW I could spend way more.  My DH has never tried to get me to spend less though- although money here is tight.  I really really really like MFW but I really really would like some more educational toys/supplements to go with it especially for my little boys.... 

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#16 of 24 Old 08-03-2013, 04:34 PM

I bought Enki 1 st grade second hand and two pentatonic flutes as the biggest chunk but this is my first year and I wanted a curriculum. Next year I don't think I will feel that a curriculum is essential but will buy a lyre. I have twin 4 year olds and a 7 year old so the curriculum will get a lot of use. I plan to do a gymnastics program for homeschoolers mostly for socialization which costs about $300 a year.
#17 of 24 Old 08-03-2013, 06:13 PM

I spent a good bit on my daughter our first year of HS... Then I found out about Easy Peasy Homeschool and its been awesome!!! She has it laid out year by year, day by day, subject by subject all for FREE! Def a site to check out and really look at all the work she done she even includes art and music in her daily schedules..:-)
#18 of 24 Old 08-04-2013, 04:55 PM

I guess this depends on the person you are asking. For me, yes, that is alot. Of course, for another person, it may seem reasonable. It also depends on the grade levels you are Homeschooling too. I know that it used to cost about $35 a month = $420 a year for both of my children's curriculum. Then we might spend another $100 for pencils, glue, art projects, etc. However, now that my oldest is starting Time4learning's High School courses, we are going to be spending $45 a month = $540 a year for both of my children's curriculum. In addition, I am also planning on adding Foreign language from Rosetta Stone this year. So, that will be adding another  $225 a year, to our Homeschooling exspenses.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. If you can afford to spend that much and your happy with your choices, then "Be Happy"! :)

FYI: "T4L"Home-schooling~All nautral~Co-sleeping~Ebf~No-Circ.~Non-Vax! Cause I'm "Crunchy" like that type of Mom to DD & DS
#19 of 24 Old 08-05-2013, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Look at it this way - it's still a fraction of the cost of private school. You could definitely go cheaper if that was a priority, but I don't think it's hugely unreasonable either, unless it's causing you to struggle financially.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#20 of 24 Old 08-14-2013, 07:26 AM

My biggest homeschooling "expense" is actually loss of income since I could theoretically work/make more if I had the kids in school full time.  Of course, this would be offset by paying for preschool/childcare as well, so it's probably a wash in the end.

We have spent very little outside of basic school supplies/craft supplies that I would have bought anyway.  I could have spent thousands of dollars on homeschooling curriculum and supplies if I had the funds, but that is not the case and we got by just fine :)

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#21 of 24 Old 08-25-2013, 09:04 AM

I recently read that the average cost per child to homeschool was $500. So $1300 for 3 kids has you below average. I'm not sure what I spend on my son. Maybe $40 per month, tops. I'm including gas to go to park days in that figure. So that's about $360 for 9 months. Probably 3/4 of that is gas and 1/4 is for activity fees. None is for curriculum.

ETA: I probably save that much money on clothes. Since ds is homeschooled, he doesn't need as many. He can stay home if his shoes are wet. Since he doesn't see the same people each day, he doesn't need to have as much variety just so that they don't comment about his wearing the same few clothes over and over. He can have just one pair of shoes, a few pants, and a half dozen t-shirts. I also save money because we don't have to participate in fund raisers or buy a list of specific school supplies that we wouldn't ordinarily use (lysol wipes, kleenex, etc.) In addition, I probably spend less on lunch at home than I would if I had to pack food. There is also less "keeping up with the Joneses." Ds is less likely to want things that are a fad or want a gadget (or clothing style) that all of his friends have. 

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#22 of 24 Old 08-25-2013, 09:21 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post

So that's about $360 for 9 months. Probably 3/4 of that is gas and 1/4 is for activity fees.

But if he went to school you might be spending money on gas to get him to and from. Or he might have begged to follow some of his classmates into their tae kwon do program, with your activity fees going up accordingly. I find it pretty much impossible to accurately determine the cost of homeschooling because of issues like that. Pencils, museums, road trips, e-reader purchases, software and computer hardware upgrades -- I know through direct experience that even with kids in school we'd make some of those purchases -- but probably fewer of them. We can't live life both ways and compare. 

Not only is it impossible to define what constitutes a homeschooling expense, but there is such immense variability from family to family that I think the best you can say is "anything goes, and good luck measuring it, but do what works for your family."

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#23 of 24 Old 08-25-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

But if he went to school you might be spending money on gas to get him to and from. Or he might have begged to follow some of his classmates into their tae kwon do program, with your activity fees going up accordingly. I find it pretty much impossible to accurately determine the cost of homeschooling because of issues like that. Pencils, museums, road trips, e-reader purchases, software and computer hardware upgrades -- I know through direct experience that even with kids in school we'd make some of those purchases -- but probably fewer of them. We can't live life both ways and compare. 

Not only is it impossible to define what constitutes a homeschooling expense, but there is such immense variability from family to family that I think the best you can say is "anything goes, and good luck measuring it, but do what works for your family."

Miranda

Yes, I'd probably spend MORE on activities if he were in school. But I'd probably spend less on gas. We're active in a group that is about an hour's drive. We do less that we might with them because of the cost of gas. But it's still more than I'd spend if I drove him to the local school (which has free bussing, anyway.) Most people who send their kids to school still have additional activity expenses that I consider a homeschooling expense. I'm confident that homeschooling is a huge savings in what I'd spend if ds were in school:-)

(And by our activity fees, I mean fun stuff like playing laser tag, lol.)

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#24 of 24 Old 08-27-2013, 06:29 AM

How Homeschoolers Measure shows that the average amount of money spent is $500. I think that's probably just curriculum. That's pretty much what we spend. Less at the beginning of the year but I add books throughout the year as needed. We easily hit that mark. If you count music lessons and sports - which we would do even if they were in public school - we'd hit around $2000. It's a lot. However, they are pretty low maintenance in the clothing department - they just don't care about clothes that much and have happily worn hand me downs their whole lives. I expect that would be different if they were in school. There would be extra-curricular expenses, too: Band, Sports, UIL, etc. I haven't bought them any gadgets yet, which they might want if all their friends had them. Actually, I think food is our biggest "school" expense because I cook so dang much. My guys eat a lot and we are picky about quality. I think parents whose kids eat at school probably don't spend nearly as much on food as we do! (Just guessing.) But my guys eat 3 wholesome meals a day and that is expensive!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page