What are the essentials for someone just starting homeschooling? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 08-11-2013, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Refreshing thead! Thanks for all of the helpful contributions. This is my first year in the homeschool biz, and it's just daunting. I just keep trying to remind myself of all of history's famous homeschooled people. Abe Lincoln's mom didn't spend gobs of money on fancy manipulatives. Thomas Edison wasn't surrounded by a bunch of well-prepared Montessori sensory bins. Laura Ingalls Wilder's parents didn't rush out and spend $500 at a back-to-school sale, (as a homeschooling friend of mine just did!) Albert Schweitzers parents didn't spend hours online agonizing over which curriculum to purchase from Amazon. Perspective can be a good thing! :)

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#32 of 34 Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Last year was our first "official" year homeschooling.  I felt like I needed to buy all sorts of things.  What I realized during the year was that I can always go out and get something if I need it!  That really helped lift the pressure I was putting on myself.

That being said, I like to get our art supplies in order and see if we need new ones.

I like using sketch books for drawings, writing and any other projects.

I also love having binoculars, magnifiers, bug boxes and nets so we can explore outside and catch some insects/frogs, etc.  Field guides are great too.

Happy homeschooling!

Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

#33 of 34 Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 AM

I've been homeschooling mine all along. My oldest is 16 now and takes a few classes at the high school now, which has been a great free resource and experience and is still on our terms. I then have four more kids and another on the way.

My main thing is to find what works for the individual and the family. It seems to be ever changing from year to year. I started really minimal and unschoolish. My oldest is very artistic and we just had tons of paper and good art supplies. She learned to read from watching me read to her. Then my second needed more structure. We started trying curriculum. Later I found the Charlotte Mason style worked great when I had a baby on my lap. Now with older grades like 11, 8, and 6th,I'm focusing a lot more on academics. (kids are going to have to make a living in the world and they aren't very extroverted). So, with that intro, here are some things I really like:
Good art supplies like prismacolor pencils and art sticks. I can't believe what little pigment is in regular crayons and pencils these days-- drives me crazy

Blank drawing books

White boards big and small with expo markers. I do one on one lessons on the small boards and group stuff on the big one. I read years ago from another homeschool parent that they do quiz game shows. They have been a big hit for us and the big board is nice for those, too.

Printer with copier/scanner

Internet. Some favorite sites are Homeschoolclassifieds.com and currclick.com, spellingcity, and starfall. Also buy sell email groups

Library, library sales, and thrift stores

Tables /desks for kids to use

The great outdoors

Classic books to read aloud, globe/maps

Real stuff like animals, sewing, weaving, clay, gardening, yoga, to interact with and do

An open mind
starsmagick likes this.
#34 of 34 Old 09-04-2013, 04:14 PM

We online school and travel worldwide so there is a whole list of needs for us that are really driven by the school and travel. But the things I have been surprised by have been the library card/Kindle combo, and a high quality backpack that fits well.

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page