Creative writing resources for 8 year old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for kids writing resources. I mean resources that teach kids to write. This is the kind of thing I'm after http://www.oneyearnovel.com/about.html but for an 8 year old, possibly also a 10 year old.

My 8 year old in particular very much likes the idea of progressively writing something, working on it daily until its finished, and I think I'm really after something to provide a framework for her. While we do broadly unschool, so a heavy curriculum teaching about adverbs etc probably isn't going to fly, she's also the kind of kid who really, really likes workbooks, completing tasks and focus. In terms of what she likes to read she leans heavily toward sci fi, fantasy, magic. She is the anti-fairy princess kid, resources aimed at boys tend to go down better if they are gendered at all (fgs). Ideally, she needs something structured  and interesting enough that she can go off and work alone on.

Any links also to good sites. At the end of the day, I guess I could create my own curriculum (I've actually taught creative writing, though years ago!), but I'd like to see what's out there before reinventing the wheel.

Its been a weird summer (serious, expensive and dull building work on our house) and we're all off in different combinations are in different places for most of it, so what I'm trying to do is stack up the resources for us all to look through when we are all settled back home.

Ta smile.gif

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#2 of 9 Old 08-15-2013, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The NaNoWriMo people have a kids site with cool workbooks for all ages:
http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/workbooks

HTH. smile.gif
#3 of 9 Old 08-18-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks heket they look great !

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#4 of 9 Old 08-20-2013, 04:35 PM

I'm a big fan of the Bravewriter program. It's very unschooly, or whaterever you want it to be, really. 

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#5 of 9 Old 08-23-2013, 07:23 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonnemommy View Post

We use beestar. The text has nice simple fonts and the pictures and graphs are to the point not distracting. The honor roll, ranking, award programs are encouraging. Hope this helps!

Lisa

Lisa, almost every last one of your 46 posts consists of two or three sentences recommending beestar. shrug.gif Did you even read the specifics of what fillyjonk is looking for? A guided medium-to-long-term progressive story-writing resource? Not sure what ranking, honor roll and graphs have to do with that.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#6 of 9 Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 PM

Almost all of her posts since 2009 have mentioned beestar.eyesroll.gif
#7 of 9 Old 08-24-2013, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the Bravewriter tip!  I love the idea of poetry teas...and I think my kidlets will love it as well.  :)

My 9yo is  a dedicated fable writer...he loves to write that one type of story, and this site has given me good ways to jump further with him and encourage other types of writing.  (Currently, he is loathing the "conversation" writing....he hates quotation marks!)

thanks again,

p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#8 of 9 Old 08-26-2013, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

hey guys, thanks for the bravewriter thing too, looks good! Looking forward to sitting down with the kids and really having a look through all this stuff. Thanks again :-)

#9 of 9 Old 08-27-2013, 02:08 AM

If you go the Brave Writer route, I suggest purchasing items via Homeschool Buyers Co-op: https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/brave-writer/?c=1

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page