Live your learning with Oak Meadow - Enter the Giveaway! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 377 Old 08-19-2013, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Subscribed. I would love to see a post about Homeschooling lots of kids of different ages.

Jess Mama to Doodle 12, Bubby 10, K Shay 8, Boo 6, Monkey 4 and, Bear 1.

#362 of 377 Old 08-19-2013, 07:33 PM

I'm already subscribed to their blog... I would love to see an article with fun ideas for incorporating letters and numbers into daily life, for the K-3 crowd. Fun games, activities, etc. Thank you!!

#363 of 377 Old 08-19-2013, 07:36 PM

I shared the link from OM's page, on my FB wall. :-)

#364 of 377 Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 PM

I've subscribed to the blog but haven't read enough to know what has been covered yet and what has not. Of the few entries I read the handwriting one made me tear up. My son almost 4 was writing most letters with such pride about 6 - 8 months ago then his interest was gone very quickly. Come to find out after the fact that it was because his montessori teacher was focused on pencil grip and told him since he was doing it wrong that he wasn't to write in class.

#365 of 377 Old 08-19-2013, 07:58 PM

I'd like to see posts about balancing a young child's need for freedom and Mama's concerns about getting work accomplished in a mutually beneficial way!

#366 of 377 Old 08-19-2013, 08:16 PM

I would like to see more on guiding high schoolers. Figuring out how to help them decide on their future.
#367 of 377 Old 08-19-2013, 08:55 PM

Would love to see a blog post on rhythm in the home. Its my biggest struggle with 4 kids.

#368 of 377 Old 08-19-2013, 08:56 PM

Shared on FB as our curriculum of choice.

#369 of 377 Old 08-19-2013, 11:54 PM

I would like to see some articles on rhythm in the home!

#370 of 377 Old 08-19-2013, 11:55 PM

Posted on fb!

#371 of 377 Old 08-20-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Thank you all for the wonderful posts and for sharing the giveaway with family and friends, and especially for the great blog post topics suggestions for our sponsor, Oak Meadow.

I am pleased to congratulate two of our members who were chosen at random using Random.org (and numbers based on excluding my post from the total). 

Our first place winner is Shianne 

Our second place winner is mleigh23

Congratulations to you both! Shianne will receive a complete homeschool curriculum package for one PreK-8 grade of your choice (value: $120-$420) from Oak Meadow. Curriculum packages include a full year's worth of engaging assignments, creative projects, and flexible weekly lesson plans. Oak Meadow’s curriculum educates and engages the whole child with assignments that ask children to read, write, think, paint, draw, play music, write poetry, and build things.

mleight23 will receive the second prize, the 35th anniversary edition of  The Heart of Learning. Written by Oak Meadow founder Lawrence Williams, this book guides the home teacher toward a deeper understanding of child development, the learning process, mindful parenting, and how to create a rich learning environment in the home. (Value: $40).

Thank you all again for your wonderful posts and participation and a huge thank you to Oak Meadow for the awesome prizes!!

Be sure to check out our latest contest, Mothering's Annual Back-to-School Giveaway! 

KrazyMomOfBoys likes this.

#372 of 377 Old 08-21-2013, 07:28 AM

I would love to see more moral support for parents and information about legal matters when homeschooling. 

rpinnegar likes this.
#373 of 377 Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Wow! I was pretty sure I didn't want to homeschool, but now I'm thinking again. I would like to see some posts that address how parents can overcome their fears and weaknesses when it comes to homeschooling. I had decided I didn't want to homeschool because I really struggle to keep basic routines in place (like bedtime and getting ready for the day). Also, my husband and I recognize that although we love learning (and going to college), we are terrible students (it is a miracle I passed college English because I can't turn a paper in on time to save my life). Maybe we need to do unschooling or roamschooling (thanks to Oak Meadow for teaching me those terms!), but I am not confident that I could remember and cover all of the things my kids need to know. 

#374 of 377 Old 08-24-2013, 04:03 AM

I just want to offer you encouragement that if you want to do it you can.  we homeschool our 3 & 6 year old so we are just starting out & it is so rewarding. I can't imagine sending our 6 year old away to school for 7 hours 5 days a week!  I think homeschooling has made us much closer than  we would have been if he had gone to traditional school.  Also we are able to go at his pace which is important for him because he is easily flustrated when pushed.  I just read John Holts book (why children fail my favorite of his books is "teach your own")--so i am extra inspired.  I just think that anyone who wants to homeschool should try it, I know it won't work for all families, but it has been a lot of fun for our family!

#375 of 377 Old 09-02-2013, 02:57 PM

I would like to see articles relevant to homeschooling preschool and high school.
#376 of 377 Old 10-15-2013, 05:57 PM

You can absolutely do it!  We've homeschooled 3 so far - oldest is 16 and is a senior in highschool in terms of course work.  Other ages are 14, 12 and 1 :-).  We were uncertain at the beginning but it has been great and you develop very close relationships with your kids because of the time you spend with them.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  They grow up so fast - I don't think you will regret it.  It is hard of course at times but so is everything in life worth doing :-).  Just take it a little at a time - there are so many resources to help you along the way and people/forums/groups who will help!

#377 of 377 Old 10-18-2013, 09:41 AM

Subscribed to the blog- I would be interested in information on transitioning from preschool or traditional school to homeschooling, and how to get your child engaged in learning from you as a parent. Thanks!!

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources , Unschooling , Oak Meadow Inc , Oak Meadow First Grade Curriculum , Oak Meadow English 9 Syllabus

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page