Mothering Forum banner

adjusting to home ed

394 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Sunshine16 
#1 ·
hi all, i am really struggling with knowing what to do with my ds 6. he has been at a waldorf kindergarden since he turned 3 and has loved it, he has now left and as we cannot afford to send him to the waldorf school have decided to home educate. He has a few home educated friends already and he was initially excited to do this. however since he left in july he is very sad that he is not going back to kindergarden and this is breaking my heart to see him like this :( i have asked him if he would like to try mainstream school - but he is unsure. deep in my heart i feel home education is our best option and i guess i am just looking for some support/advice on how to make the transition easier for him or whether i should try a mainstream school

thanks x

#2 ·
Hello!

Have you looked into homeschool co-ops or other organized groups that lean toward Waldorf style? It might feel good for both of you to participate in structured group activities from time to time (or weekly, or more). Yahoo Groups, Meetup.com, and Facebook can be good ways to connect with like minded locals. Some will coordinate weekly park days and others will offer class-style activities.

You might also consider checking for local places that offer art, dance, music, or science classes (museums, botanical gardens, nature centers, science centers, zoo, theater groups, gymnastic places, dance schools, and YMCA).

Finally, you may be interested in Oak Meadow for homeschool curricula. It looks very Waldorf-inspired, and will give you a script for your days. There's a give-away contest happening now right here on mothering.com if you look on the home page.

Good luck!

#3 ·
How about using special field trips as a way of giving him something novel and memorable as an introduction to home-education? When the schoolkids had their first day back at the grind, we always used to plan a picnic at the beach or similar. Other possibilities that are free or cheap: a trip to the grocery store to buy stuff for home-made ice cream, a trip to a wetland or stream and some time spent building toy boats or dams in the water, a litter-picking challenge at a park, a trip to a railway yard to watch trains at work, a trip to a central library to get his own card, a geocaching expedition, an excursion to a park for a picnic on public transit, a photography safari to a community garden or park. Honestly, there wasn't a lot that a picnic somewhere interesting couldn't fix with my kdis. Once there and enjoying yourselves, you can casually comment "It's so nice to be outside doing whatever we want to rather than stuck inside like kids at school!" Or "Ice cream -- you don't get that at school much!" Just point out the freedom you have when you're enjoying it.

There are lots of possibilities if you don't want to leave home too: special lunch banquets or treats cooked at home, pyjama days, living room movie festivals, backyard bubble fests, recycled art challenges.... a few of these might spice things up a bit and make him feel like learning while not going to school is kind of cool too.

I suspect you'll find your stride as time goes on, but during the first few weeks if your child is pining for school it can help to make an effort to add a bit of fun and novelty with activities that draw attention to the freedom of homeschooling.

Miranda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.