Mothering Forum banner

fun Kindergarten "supplies"

526 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Eunoia 
#1 ·
My 5-year-old is starting his first year of official homeschooling (I'm in a state where we have to legally declare ourselves at age 5), and I want to make a big deal about it for him, just for fun. He's very proud that he's going to be a homeschooler like his older brother, and I want to celebrate this passage with him, so...

I bought him a new backpack with his initials embroidered on it (which I did for his big brother three years ago), and I'm going to present it to him on his first day of "school." I'd like to fill it with some fun supplies to help him look forward to the year, and I'm drawing a bit of a blank. So far I've thought of:

- a notebook

- new crayons

- a magnifying glass

- maybe some Montessori letter and number sandpaper tracers

Can anyone help me out here? I know there have got to be some fun, exciting things to fill his backpack with! It's Kindergarten!

We won't be doing any formal curriculum this year, but will continue with what we've been doing--some gentle introduction to reading and writing and math, and discovering the world around us. We also have a plan for him to make his own alphabet book. He's a fairly eager emerging reader and writer, and loves addition and subtraction problems. We recently started doing the Bedtime Math book and he talks out math problems for fun all the time. He loves Wild Kratts and animals facts.

So what should go in the bag?

TIA!

-Eunoia

See less See more
#4 ·
Random art supplies (feathers, glitter, sequins)

Fun workbook -- ie hidden pictures, mazes, dot-to-dots

A folder to save special papers in. My girls like to have a new folder each year.

Ruler or measuring tape.

This sounds like fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.