Want to Homeschool but am unable to. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2013, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a homeschooling Mother at heart and I'm also a special education teacher in a public school. I've spent 15 years loving what I do and many times, at odds with what I do. I've taught in various settings around the world as well. I struggle on a daily basis with this -and my beliefs have come more paramount since I had my son. 

I have a 3 1/2 year old son who will soon attend a preschool 3x a week for 3 hours each time. Naturally, I'm devastated as it's not really in alignment with what I believe and want for my son. Children simply need to stay home. 

I'm also a single mother which is my biggest hurdle right now. I'm posting to ask if there are any resources. 

Much gratitude!! 

Jessica 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Bump. Anyone?

hug2.gif

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 08-27-2013, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If I'm understanding you, you are asking if there is a way for you to be a working, single mama and homeschool?

There have been a few threads on here about pulling off working and homeschooling. 

With that said, many of my homeschooling friends put their kids in preschool, including me. Here, the schedule was typically 2 - 3 hours a day, 3 - 4 days a week. It's not a huge amount and often the families had new babies so it helped to have somewhere for the child to hang out. Also, the preschools here are mostly play-based, with very loose structure and lots of free time to play and explore. It was very unschooling friendly. 

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 08-27-2013, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The biggest hurdle in homeschooling while working is having a safe place (and hopefully an engaging environment with interactive adults) for your child to be while you work. At the preschool age, a play based daycare or preschool can be an option. But the options dwindle when your child hits age 5. If you have a good place for your child to be while you work, actual homeschooling doesn't take very long and can be done flexibly on weekends or evenings. Now that my child is older, he can actually come with me to work if he has to. But he'd rather not if he can stay home with grandma or dad, instead.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 08-27-2013, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

What about a job share?  Or a childcare swap with someone who works swing shift, overnights, or weekends?  Childcare co-op? 

What about teaching English via Skype online from home?  Or work as a private tutor?

Is your child's father involved?  If so, is he supportive of homeschooling?  That could go a long way to sorting out the logistics.

Good luck!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!

Tags
Homeschooling , Education
User Tag List