Homeschool start up ceremony - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
My DS is 5. We have been in a preschool Waldorf group for a couple of years now. It has evolved to include a homeschool co-op now. In a couple of weeks we are going to have a ceremony for the start of school. We are to do something or give something that signifies the teacher student relationship. I'm fishing for ideas here. We don't completely Waldorf at home. We use some Montessori and some child - led life learning. He's quite an active physical boy. Loves to climb. Is into space. Loves animals. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 06:22 PM
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

How about some supplies.  There was a thread earlier about a mom filling up a backpack for her child--she was going to give it to him/her on the first day of homeschool.  Perhaps, instead of standard supplies, you could have a book about local nature (field guide to birds, bugs, etc) and a nature journal. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 07:32 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

For me homeschooling isn't about changing the parent-child relationship into a teacher-student relationship, it's about freedom to learn and live outside a school-like model, and flexibility. So in your situation I would give gifts of vouchers, passes or cards that emphasize the freedom and flexibility: a pool pass, a library card, ice cream vouchers, gift certificate for zoo admission, that sort of thing. 

Miranda

Catholic Mama and herenow2 like this.

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

These are good ideas. I was thinking of something maybe more symbolic. I wish I had a pocket knife to hand down to him or something. I'm looking for something he would still have when he's older and can pass on. Hmm maybe a nice edition of Little House...
#5 of 9 Old 08-27-2013, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you thinking of something like the German practice of a schultute?
#6 of 9 Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post

Are you thinking of something like the German practice of a schultute?

Thanks for the link, heket! What a neat custom!

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#7 of 9 Old 08-29-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I knew there was a custom somewhere. It's hard when going to school is the topic at story time and that big yellow bus goes by. I feel like some sort of coming of age ceremony should happen around 5. He just lost a tooth.
#8 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had never thought of a ceremony or anything like this; but I really like the idea; something to mark the milestone of being "school-age" especially since peers will be going off to class, and my son won't be going to school, we'll be homeschooling.

#9 of 9 Old 09-02-2013, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

just to say, yk, in waldorf its 7 not 5 that is significant. Not that you shouldn't do 5 at all. For us 7 has always been a much bigger deal because it starts to become possible to give them a lot more freedom. Also, I wouldn't give a 5 year old a knife but in our family the kids get a good carving knife at age 7.

Also, for each of mine, when they left their Waldorf kindergarten they each got a small Osteheimer animal which they tend to carry around when they need extra support. It was the animal I thought was right for them then. So dd1 whose name has some mythological association with cats got a cat. Etc.

I'm always quite anti big beginnings to HS becuase I think its something you have to find your way in, you can't plan til you've been doing it a while. Even now for me, 5 years in, its still more unexpected than not. So I'd go small and symbolic.

Oh the only other thing might be specifically outdoors stuff. At age 5 ds had a ceramic firebowl which he loved.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page