Well Trained Mind - like it or not? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-26-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone tried well trained mind and if so, do you like it or not? I'm thinking about using it this year with my 8 year old DD, but have some reservations. The grammar workbook in particular looks dry and tedious.

#2 of 6 Old 08-27-2013, 02:02 AM

I've read it and looked at the curriculum resources and schedules. I like some of it, but really I just use it mostly for curricula ideas. It was a good starting point for my older two and I was able to figure out a more schooly path for them after failing at Waldorf (that's just not their learning styles.) The forum boards are good for finding out what curricula other parents use, but I don't believe even half of them have even read the book.

Story of the World has worked for us, but we have draaaaagggged it out thanks to rabbit trails, breaks and other living books on topics. I don't like the other books from Peace Hill Press (First Language Lessons, Writing With Ease, etc.)
#3 of 6 Old 08-27-2013, 06:09 AM

I use it several ways. First, I like the resources. There are great resources reviewed in it. I use the 3-part Classical schedule as my base and cycle through it every 4 years, more or less. I take what works and leave what doesn't. Is there a particular workbook you're wondering about? I think I've used them all.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#4 of 6 Old 08-27-2013, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I take some things from it, but don't follow it closely.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#5 of 6 Old 08-27-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

I ordered the other peace hill books that go with it (writing with ease, the parents guide to teaching writing, first language lessons, the spelling one) as well as SOTW and the SOTW activity book.

I guess my biggest question is, is it really necessary to start teaching grammar so early? And spelling? We're still struggling with just finding literature interesting. DD is a reluctant reader. The grammar is really boring to her and she hates handwriting. It seems like if we didn't focus on grammar and waited a few years, she could pick it up really fast when she's more ready, like around fifth grade.

SOTW looks good. The activity book seems a little dry but I like the idea of rabbit holes.

#6 of 6 Old 08-27-2013, 01:50 PM

Bellingham, I couldn't agree with you more! I'm not crazy about the activity book. I get it for the maps and review questions but I could also make up my own questions and download my own maps. I like the book suggestions, but again, that would be pretty easy to find online.

Re:diagramming, your dd sounds like my ds1 at that age! I didn't start diagramming with him until last year. He turned 12 and I bought FLL4. I don't care about the number attached to it. He actually thought diagramming was fun and flew through the lessons. If I had given him those same lessons when he was, say 10, I think he would've resisted and would've developed a negative feeling towards it. I am a strong believer in waiting till they're ready. If you can handle it. (I do struggle with this.)

As a side note, I took diagramming in college and taught it in middle school. I don't think it's necessary for it to be taught at a young age. My younger son didn't object and seemed to get something out of it, so I did start early with him, but I have no regrets in waiting till my older son was ready.

Oh and ditto on spelling. Again, he hates the lessons but ironically, when working on his novel, is a perfectionist about spelling and grammar and punctuation. The "process writing" teacher in me encourages him to just write and not worry about spelling until he's finished. But he insists on his first draft being a great draft. So the kid who hates writing lessons and spelling worksheets loves getting his novel right the first time. Different strokes...
BellinghamCrunchie likes this.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page