What are you learning in History this week? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are on chapter 1 of Story of the World volume 4. It's about Queen Victoria, the British at that time and the Sepoy Mutiny. I read the kids the chapter from the book last week, then we went to the library and got some books about Victorian England. 

Today we're watching the movie "The Young Victoria" that we got from Netflix (on DVD):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0962736/?ref_=sr_2

My oldest and I are about to start reading What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1987.What_Jane_Austen_Ate_and_Charles_Dickens_Knew

What's happening in history at your house?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#2 of 14 Old 08-29-2013, 01:30 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Nothing's happening in history at our house this week, but...

We did have a trip to a drive-in movie theatre about 3 hours away, complete with period cartoons and 1950s music about cars and spent a long time talking about the "age of the automobile" and how much that changed our cities, our culture, our expectations, our environmental impact, gender roles, our understanding of freedom, and leisure, etc. etc..

And then we travelled through the corridor where Canada's national railway, the trump card that built the country into an approximation of what it is today, was completed in 1885, and went to a railway museum, and watched a documentary about Chinese immigrants to Canada and the injustices done to them. And that night we watched a documentary about MLK, and my kid noticed a lot of parallels between the Chinese Head Tax, and Japanese internment in WWII and the civil rights movement in the US.

So there's a fair bit of modern history happening in our family, but on the road, not at home.The big kids go back to high school next week, so we haven't really "started homeschooling" in any intentional way yet with the younger.

Forgot about historical fiction. This week we're finishing up "The Wreckers" by Iain Lawrence, about shipwrecks in the 19th century, along the coast of England. Next up is Jean Auel's "Clan of the Cave Bear," a prequel to the year dd wants to spend enhancing her understanding of early civilizations.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 14 Old 08-29-2013, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We are going to Thomas Edison's workshop next week. We will get some books tomorrow.

#4 of 14 Old 08-30-2013, 12:58 AM

We've just finished up Alexander the Great and now we're on a short break while I wait for a Latin American folk tale book from the library to move on with SOTW 1.
#5 of 14 Old 08-30-2013, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We don't start until next week.  We will be doing 20th Century World history, starting with the causes of WWI.  Dylan is in high school

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#6 of 14 Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 AM

The weekend after Labor Day weekend we will attend a Revolutionary War Reenactment, so we've focused on this. We have almost finished reading the Felicity series and plan to watch the DVD if the predicted rain ever materializes today. We also read Why Can't You Make Them Behave George and George Vs George. We will start Johnny Tremain once we finish the Felicity series.

Oh, and I almost forgot, we are following The Arrow Guide from Bravewriter on The Cabin Faced West, another historical fiction book about that period.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#7 of 14 Old 08-31-2013, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We are spending several months on WWII.
#8 of 14 Old 09-01-2013, 08:08 AM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Ugh, history. . . not my favorite.  Regardless, this week we will be officially studying all subjects again and history is one of them.  For Anna, we need to cover WA state history.  We will begin with history of the area before it was even a territory.  She will be looking at information about the tribes in the area and we will visit a local museum that has a lot of tribal history.  My other two will be doing US History, so we will tag along with Anna's trip to the museum and do a somewhat broader look at how tribes differed based on general location (coastal vs plains) etc.  Maya will also do World Cultures (and everyone will join in)--but we haven't picked our first country yet.  I think I will do some basic geography first, ie continents, oceans, directions on a map, etc.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#9 of 14 Old 09-02-2013, 03:47 AM

Have you looked at Studies Weekly for state history? Materials for WA can be viewed here: http://www.studiesweekly.com/results/Washington/Third-Grade.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have the CA stuff on order for our state study. It was cheap and I can get two students done this year.
#10 of 14 Old 09-02-2013, 12:39 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post

Have you looked at Studies Weekly for state history? Materials for WA can be viewed here: http://www.studiesweekly.com/results/Washington/Third-Grade.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have the CA stuff on order for our state study. It was cheap and I can get two students done this year.

Thank you! No, I hadn't ever seen that.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#11 of 14 Old 09-03-2013, 11:37 AM

We went to Plimoth plantation last Friday. (Yippee free) (did you know one of the reasons the Wampanoag taught the pilgrims to hunt was because their livestock smelled so horrible and was causing rodent and insect problems? They also thought it was cruel to cage an animal for slaughter?)

We start pirates (golden age of pirates) which will go about a month. Will end with a trip to the pirate museum in Salam MA.

We are also doing the Big Bang to early man over the course of the year.

And although not history...continents/ocean

Oh and does being Samuel Adams for Halloween count?

hola.gif My life in emoticon...oh, I've said too much blahblah.gif

lactivist.gifselectivevax.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.giftrekkie.giftreehugger.gifwash.gif

#12 of 14 Old 09-05-2013, 06:25 AM

We are unschoolers, and right now my daughter is really fascinated by George Washington Carver, for reasons I don't completely understand.  So, she's been devouring any information she can find on him for awhile now.  That has bled out into other stuff like slavery, the civil war, abolitionists, and the NAACP, the Tuskegee Institute.. so much more.  But GW Carver is her real focus for the moment.  Tomorrow it might be back to the French Revolution (another favorite of hers), but for now it's Mr. Carver. 

flowersforyou.gif

#13 of 14 Old 09-06-2013, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well the kids have been messing about on a bbc emulator- does that count?

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#14 of 14 Old 09-07-2013, 02:52 PM

5th grader...

week 1 we read

From Sea to Shinning Sea the story of America (Catholic) Last week we covered a brief overview covering explores such as St Brendan Lief Ericsson Madoc and Columbus

Week two enrichment stuff

map work http://www.christianbook.com/uncle-joshs-outline-map-book/george-wiggers/9780970240309/pd/73456

pirate ship puzzle

http://www.yoyo.com/p/ravensburger-pirate-ship-puzzle-200pc-119971?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_Y&utm_term=VR-263&utm_campaign=Google&CAWELAID=1324485401&utm_content=pla&ci_sku=VR-263&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

made dishes from the "times"

Cornbread

hardtack

sweet potatos

lentil soups 

corned beef (to represent salty meats they would have had)

listened to youtube Salve Regina https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv_2x6JmuaE

illustrated a printed copy of the transulated verses

Next week

We get into into Cortes and the Aztecs..

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page