fundraising - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-05-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

This could go in a few spot at MDC.  If a mod feels it is better sutied elsewhere, please feel free to move it.

DD is involved with a community group.  The community group is *thinking* of taking a large (as in inter-provincial) trip.  We are determined that the girls are an integral part of fundraising.  We are going to have a brainstorming session, so I thought I would ask if any of you had any great ideas for fundraisers. 

a few points:

-girls are 9-12

-we are not a wealthy community.  We are economically diverse.

-I have no interest in selling crap

One of the things we have to decide is if we want to do a bunch of small fundraisers, or several large ones.  We are hoping to fundraise $3200 by July.  The group size is about 10.

TIA!

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#2 of 7 Old 09-05-2013, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I just agreed to be the fundraising chair for my daughter's choir, which is interesting because I feel like fundraising is absolutely my worst thing.  They want to go to a choir festival in July, and we are thinking it will cost about $1500 per person, so we want to raise money to offset as much of that as we can. I was talking to some people tonight to get ideas.

The choir always does poinsettia sales, but frankly, I'm not as keen on that because of the selling aspect.

We have an event fundraiser, this bowling thing, and they make a good amount from that, except that it involves selling tickets, and a lot of times the families buy the tickets.  I wanted to do a cash raffle.  Someone did that last year for the school band, and it brought in a lot of money, but high school students were selling the tickets to a very large base. It works pretty well when you have a school.  We usually do that kind of fundraiser at our yearly art auction, and bring in close to $2000 sometimes, although that is cut in half, since half of the money goes to the winner.

We were also talking about doing a big group rummage sale.  My LLL group has done two, and brought in about $700 each time.

Other things they've done is caroling outside the grocery store near Christmas, doing gift wrapping for donations at a local mall, Barnes & Noble book fairs, restaurant fundraising nights, a bake sale/craft sale after the concert.  The youth at our church do a pizza dinner every month, and the kids make the pizza, salad and dessert for a set fee (or donate what you want).

One thing the choir is going to do in a couple weeks is volunteer for a big athletic event.  The corporation who does it has a non-profit arm, and they give grants to other non-profits.  So we will go and pack gear bags for people doing a triathlon, and get about $1000. 

#3 of 7 Old 09-06-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, viola.

A big group rummage sale is also on our list, as is gift wrapping at a mall.

I would love to do a 50/50 draw - as those frequently work well, but we have a small base to pull from.  We are thinking of doing a bake sale at a Christmas craft fair - and might be able to do a 50/50 table there (or perhaps a straight donations jar).  

I am definitely looking into grants as well.

other ideas that I am stoked about:

-bottle drive.

- we have a fairly large christmas parade, and we can sell hot dogs and hot chocolate at them - this brings in some money. 

-if you have a person with a batter red pick up truck - you might be able to pick up scrap metal.  Example - I sold my mini van for scrap metal for about 300$ a few years ago.  

I don't think any of the above will make huge money - except the parade -but we have a fairly small base to pull from.

Even though I am adverse to selling, I am consider selling apple pies. Apples are local, the girls can help make them, and there will be little potential for loss - as we will only make the order after it is ordered.  There would be little direct selling, either.  I am thinking fliers in supermarkets and stuff - not door to door or sitting in a booth.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 7 Old 09-06-2013, 09:38 AM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

One thing that we did was try to tap into things that people would buy anyways--and give them a reason to buy from us.  The best one was Santa pictures.  Someone had a Santa suit already, someone was pretty good at photography, the girls dressed up to be Santa's helpers, we offered appointmenta, and we gave the families a quality experience.  They got one print and the CD.  The cost to our group was minimal (a bunch od CDs and some photo paper/ink). 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 7 Old 09-06-2013, 10:11 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Agree with AAK about tapping into things that people already buy, and giving them a better source, or more convenience. We've done pantry-type food (dried fruit, nuts, grains) sales where we find an ethical wholesaler -- organic is a plus! -- and put together a bulk order by collecting smaller orders from our pool of contacts. We get wholesale pricing for an order in the range of $2000-7000, mark up the prices about 25% when we offer them to our contacts (but they're still a good deal), and they have the advantage of convenience and of not having to make the minimum $1000 (or whatever) order for dealing with the wholesaler. Sort of offering a "buying club" experience for profit. If you can find the right provider, it can be quite easy and profitable. My kids were always involved in double-checking orders, labelling, splitting up caselots, weighing out 5-lb bags of nuts from caselots, and distribution.

This year we're looking into dealing with a medium-scale family-run apiary, and ordering bulk honey in 1-gallon, half-gallon and 250 ml sizes. We're hoping they'll cut us a deal (say, 30% off) on pricing for an order of >$1000, and we'll mark up the honey by less for our customers, say 25%. There's an organization here doing that with maple syrup each year.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#6 of 7 Old 09-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In our area, the best fundraiser is grocery bagging. Grocery stores let community groups sign up to bag groceries for tips.  It's pretty easy, the kids are doing something that needs to be done, and tips are optional. Also we made more grocery bagging than with a rummage sale, and there was substantially less work involved. If that's not something that is typically done in your community, maybe you could ask to try it? 

Other things that have worked: some of the gas stations here let community groups buy gas cards for 10% less than their face value.  Friends and family can buy the gas cards from the kids and support the trip without losing any money, which is more comfortable to me than asking them to buy something they may not want at all, KWIM?

Also, depending on the skills of the group, they might be able to start plants from seed and sell them in the spring. That can be a useful way to add real value and sell something people would be happy to have. 

Good luck!

#7 of 7 Old 09-06-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, everyone.  :Kiss

I have added a few more ideas to the list.

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page