If you work part-time and homeschool - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 11-10-2013, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am a registered nurse, so I work outside the home. I work graveyard, so I go to work at 10:30pm (most days), although I often work over time. I get off work at 7:30am, and drive a whole 4 min home. Just in time to get my toddler out of her crib. I feed her breakfast, then she and I shower while the boys eat breakfast and get their chores done. School starts between 8:30-9:00am. They are independent with most subjects, except history and science, which we do as a group while my little one takes her morning nap. For everything else, I just have to check work and help where needed. In between that, I care for my little one and she "helps" with my chores. Laundry is her favorite. When she goes down for her afternoon nap at 2 or 3pm, I go to bed too. My husband is a stay at home dad, so he does all the grocery shopping, does quite a few of the chores, pays bills, runs errands, and will do school with the boys on days that I am just too exhausted or need to be at work early, in which I have to go to bed much earlier. My toddler gets up from her nap at 5pm. My husband and boys play with her and feed her dinner until her bedtime at 7pm. So I only miss 2 hours of her day when she is awake (from 5-7pm), and I am sleeping. I get up at 10pm, get ready and leave for work at 10:20pm. Financially, I have to work, as I am the one with a college education, and make almost triple what my husband used to make. It is not ideal and I am often tired, but this is the best shift for me. I can work full time, homeschool my boys, and spend most of the day with my little one. I was offered a day time position at work from 8am-5pm, and I turned it down, cause I would only see my little one for two hours a day, and I wouldn't be able to homeschool. My husband would be able to manage, but I love being the main one to do the schooling.
#32 of 39 Old 11-13-2013, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my3legacies...wow, good on you!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#33 of 39 Old 11-15-2013, 05:16 PM

I work 15 hours in a private practice and homeschool my 9 and 11 year old. I set my own hours, and I have a home office. I can work and leave the kids alone upstairs, though I try not and do this for more than an hour or two at a time. My kids spend two days per week at a wonderful self-directed learning center that I helped found when they were very little. They get to be with friends and learn alongside other kids, and I fill both days with clients. I also see people in the evenings. It is a rich and crazy life.
#34 of 39 Old 11-19-2013, 10:49 AM

This is just what I came on here to look for. Mamas who manage to work and homeschool.  I currently work 20 hrs/week outside the home, but my commute is only a 7 minute walk. I am also off in the summer.  I have a 3 year old and 2 month old and really want to homeschool but I just needed some confirmation that it is possible.  My husband works 4 longer days/week so he can also do school with the kiddos on the days he is home which is when I am working.  My mom watches the boys 1 day/week while both my husband and i work.  

I do wonder though- do you still have time for yourselves?  Do you exercise/read/have hobbies you can devote some time to?  When I had my first, I basically lost myself for the first 18 months and don't want this to happen again.  It is very important to me to be able to exercise and have some downtime to myself.  I guess I wonder when I would be able to organize/ plan lessons/activities as currently I use the time once they're in bed to relax a bit. 

#35 of 39 Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegrunr View Post

This is just what I came on here to look for. Mamas who manage to work and homeschool.  I currently work 20 hrs/week outside the home, but my commute is only a 7 minute walk. I am also off in the summer.  I have a 3 year old and 2 month old and really want to homeschool but I just needed some confirmation that it is possible.  My husband works 4 longer days/week so he can also do school with the kiddos on the days he is home which is when I am working.  My mom watches the boys 1 day/week while both my husband and i work.  

I do wonder though- do you still have time for yourselves?  Do you exercise/read/have hobbies you can devote some time to?  When I had my first, I basically lost myself for the first 18 months and don't want this to happen again.  It is very important to me to be able to exercise and have some downtime to myself.  I guess I wonder when I would be able to organize/ plan lessons/activities as currently I use the time once they're in bed to relax a bit. 

I think a large part of it depends on what kind of homeschooling you want to do.  We don't really use a curriculum at all.  I always have activity/workbooks laying around and we tend to work them in whenever it works out due to kids' interest and opportunity.  We read a lot together and I buy tons of books at all reading levels at thrift stores/garage sales (super cheap this way and then I'm not so insistent that they read anything specific - it's whatever strikes their fancy).  I think little ones are MUCH harder than older kids.  Most of my time is spent on entertaining the 3yo, not the 6yo.  My 6yo reads on his own as well, and does all kinds of projects on his own.  He just made a ton of "books" and put prices on them and invited me to his book store, where I had to use real money to buy his books.  Our house is always in disarray though, and I know it drives my dh crazy, but there are always ongoing art projects, lego projects, etc.  If you look at our "school", my 6yo used art to make the books, wrote some words in his books, and had to understand prices (50 cents, 75 cents, etc) so math.  It's all part of one experience for him, so I don't see any reason to do any specific "subject", and I think that makes my life easier as far as his education.  Yesterday, we watched the MAVEN launch to Mars, and then we have a ton of legos, K'nex, etc to build rockets, cars, etc.  

I do have one Math book (Life of Fred) which is like math as a story, but we've only done a few chapters in the past few months - each chapter takes 5 minutes or 10.  So, the good thing about homeschooling is how flexible it is, but it really depends on you...some parents find that they need to do more structure and plan lessons.  Btw, a lot of my friends IRL don't homeschool, including my brother...and they still end up sitting with their kids and helping them do homework (or making sure they do).  I think they spend way more time "schooling" their kids than I do.  

So, yes, I can do stuff on my own, but it's really the 3yo that makes it hard ...and more and more he's able to be involved with the 6yo's activities.  

We also have some family nights - like project night once a week where we all do a science experiment together or build with legos, and game night once a week where we play games (usually one of us has to play with the 3yo and the other with the 6yo) and we play games like Monopoly where you get to practice reading/math as part of the game.  It's not set in stone, but it allows us to allocate some time that we do "education" and yet just normal family time together.  I also have 2 bookclubs that I personally belong to, and I think that's good for my sons to know that Mom is involved in things like that - that it's not just something forced on kids.  Usually dh takes them to the movies when I have bookclub, and so they get special fun time with Dad.  Hope this helps...really they do get much easier as they get older, and yes, when they were teeny tiny, I spent all my time with them, so sounds just like you.

#36 of 39 Old 11-19-2013, 12:14 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1 View Post

I think a large part of it depends on what kind of homeschooling you want to do. 

I completely agree. It also depends on the age of your kids. Once your eldest is 9 or 10, and once you no longer have anyone under 4 or 5, you'll probably find that "me time" can be found easily in the course of daily life. Homeschooled kids tend to become quite independent and self-sufficient around the house, and I've found it perfectly easy to tell my kids that I'm going to my bedroom to read, play violin, work out, whatever, and to please look after themselves for half an hour or an hour. After that it was only a couple of years before I could get up in the morning, leave a note saying "gone for a run" and come back in an hour or two to find that they'd got up, had breakfast, cleaned up, played, fed the chickens, answered the phone and taken messages, done some math, etc., all perfectly happily and safely. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#37 of 39 Old 11-19-2013, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegrunr View Post

Agreed that it's all a matter of how you homeschool, although we DO use some curricula.  My oldest is 9 going on 10 and really--I can spend a few hours on a weekend afternoon with all of his books (we use an eclectic blend of things), my computer (for Meetup, etc.) and lay out his assignment planner for at least a month.  He pretty much never needs me to be involved other than to check that he DID his work.  We're not rigorous academic school-at-home-ers, but we're not exactly unschoolers, either.

And TOTALLY agreed that the younger ones are the bear of it all.  My 5yo is the challenge far more than my 9yo.  In fact, I'm sitting here distracting myself from planning out some activities/lessons for her because she's so driven to "do schoolwork" and I just find it to be too parent-intensive.  :/  It's a lot of me reading to her and activities that need some supervision or involvement.  And to be fair, I dodge this with the older one: he doesn't get a lot of science "lab" stuff and I know they'd both really love that.  But that's way more my laziness vs. having time for it... kwim?

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#38 of 39 Old 11-19-2013, 05:14 PM

Like moominmama said, once your kids reach a certain age it's much easier to get "me time". I instituted "mama's day off" which happens most Saturdays. On that day I do no housework, minimal prepping of snacks for kids, and it is "make your own dinner night" for the kids (I make sure there is something easy for them to make). I usually spend the day sewing, quilting, or knitting when it's fall and winter (like right now). It really helps save my sanity, to give myself permission to not tidy or do laundry or dishes. I often "pay for it" the next day, but it's worth it and I usually do a general house tidy and cleanup on Sundays anyway to prepare for the new week. 

Also, most evenings now I take over the living room and watch Netflix while kniting or sewing. 

If I have editing assignments then I use that time to work, but I still get enough "me" days to satisfy. 

...I will also add that it is incredibly rewarding. I was a devoted AP mama and had very little "me time" in the early years. Now I can look back at that time and feel grateful that I did what my kids needed. The years go by quickly. I feel like this is the reward. ;-)

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#39 of 39 Old 11-25-2013, 11:17 AM

I also came (back after years away!) here to read stories of other mamas who are HSing and working.  Its hard but I think we are finding our groove. 

I am a full-time HB midwife with 2-5 births a month.  I think I average 40-60 hours of work a week.  I work really long saturdays every week - typically I do prenatal appointments from 8-7 and then for a few hours again on Sundays.  I do most of the paperwork part of my job in the evening and from time to time I have to drag my kids to appointments or spend hours on the phone during the day..... 

For me, things that have helped keep me sane include cutting way back on my scheduling and housecleaning expectations.  I have also eliminated time sucks from my life including facebook and any other social media (though here I am back on MDC today....).  We only have an hour of screen time a day, tops, when kids are awake.  But really, we just have to be flexible or else I start to feel really down on myself.  We can miss days of "school time" after a long birth.  My goal is about 12 solid hours of reading/writing/science/history a week for my older son with other activities and reading in there, of course.  I have no goals for my 5yo except that we learn to read this year, which we are doing, and having fun.  We manage that easily with no schedule whatsoever.  We do use a couple curriculums because I have ZERO time to do lesson plans or whatever.  I can expand on what the curriculum is doing or be inspired by my kids' inspirations, but I had to give up on the idea of planning their education based on always following their interests.  I just don't have that kind of time or energy. 

I run on the treadmill about an hour a day now that its dark outside early.  Having a good treadmill has been worth every penny.  I don't know what the kids do while I run but they manage to keep themselves alive.  We talk about how I am a better mom if I run.  I am hoping to be able to leave them for an hour or so fairly soon so I can run outside during the day.  They are currently 6 and 8. 

eta:  the are currently *not* 6 and 8, haha.  They are 5 and 8.  :D

Tags
Homeschooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page