Largest Community of Homeschoolers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-26-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would like to get some other mamas' input about places to find large homeschooling communities.  We used to live in a small suburban town in Texas and we had a wonderful homeschooling community with a Board, cooperative learning, sports teams, play groups for the younger set, and dances for the teens.  I am wondering what other cities have resources and community like that?  I know that Southern CA has wonderful homeschooling communities but we are priced out of that housing market and we would really like to find some acreage again.  

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Nicole

Full Time Student Mama with a teenager blahblah.gif  a cool tween Peace.gif a rockin kid jammin.gif a pretty fairy  hearts.gifand a non-stop running machine joy.gif and still shouting about lactivist.gif  intactivist.gif  delayedvax.gif and signcirc1.gif
#2 of 11 Old 09-28-2013, 02:16 AM

Asheville,NC. There is a large religious homeschool population and a decent sized secular population. Lots of classes/coops/activities.
#3 of 11 Old 09-28-2013, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You won't find any really large homeschool communities in Vermont, because there aren't any large population centers.  The largest city, Burlington, has a population of under 50,000.  Our state capital is the smallest in the country, with a population of under 10,000.  But the percentage of families who homeschool seems fairly high compared to a lot of places, and there's generally a favorable attitude toward homeschooling.  People homeschooling for religious reasons seem to be in the minority.  (Vermont is the least religious state in the country, according to some recent poll results.)  You could probably find a decent-sized community with quite a few organized activities in Burlington.  Elsewhere, you'll find other homeschoolers but mostly not very large groups of them.

I have the impression that Washington and Oregon have big homeschooling communities.

#4 of 11 Old 09-28-2013, 08:20 AM

The Bay Area in Northern California has several big communities. We're only active in the east bay groups but there are lots of activities, several park days a week. We don't have coops probably because there are several distance charters which offer these same resources.

I love it here! But I must also add that it is expensive to buy or rent here.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#5 of 11 Old 09-28-2013, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post

I have the impression that Washington and Oregon have big homeschooling communities.

Yes, loads of homeschoolers.  Not sure about communities, though I tend not to seek out that kind of stuff as much so I'm unaware of everything that goes on.  Don't know about the dances and all that, though I'm pretty sure it's out there.  Relatively affordable, and a good supply of acreage nearish to midsize and smaller population centers.  I doubt, though that it's as affordable as Texas.  You really have to get out there (or in my case "out here") to find the truly affordable properties.  I would say that Oregon has the edge on affordable acreage in close proximity to homeschooling hotspots.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#6 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

In general, places where the public schools are not well-funded have the strongest homeschooling communities. The lack of funding can be because of overall poverty or because of the values of the legislature and the people, but I've found this to be generally true -- though of course, there are a couple of exceptions.

We have large and strong homeschooling communities in some areas of Colorado. I think some states have strong Christian homeschooling communities, but not a lot of resources for secular homeschoolers. I've been part of both types of communities here and find that the resources are plentiful for both.

peace,

teastaigh

#7 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I second Asheville, NC. We've only this year started to seek out co-ops and such, but I'm impressed with the variety. Land isn't reasonably priced unless you go further out though,IMO.
#8 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 11:36 PM

We moved 2 years ago from Northern California (Sacramento area) the the Phoenix, AZ area. We were part of 2 groups in NorCal, and are part of 2 groups here. There wasn't that much up in our area in NorCal, but there are tons of groups out here, I really had to pick and choose here!! I could very easily be part of 4-5 groups within very close proximity here! I've heard that there is a high number of homeschoolers in the Phoenix, AZ metro area, which is not all that surprising, considering the state of the public school system!
#9 of 11 Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 PM

Florida has some good areas for that. Tampa, Fort Myers, Naples, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville.
#10 of 11 Old 10-08-2013, 09:08 AM

Madison has a large well organized homeschool community.  All kinds of classes at museums, coops, and the free zoo.  Lots of groups for all different philosophies and religious inclinations.  Wisconsin has great laws.  The cost of living is relatively low, but very low outside the city (we're an hour from Madison).  Madison is also a great place for crunchy living as well (lots of great resources for local foods).  We consider ourselves spoiled.

homesteading, homeschooling,homebirthing wife to an amazing Catholic man, and mother to our two little girls :01/09 and 07/11
#11 of 11 Old 10-18-2013, 10:43 AM

North of Seattle had quite a few homeschool groups, co ops, and an awesome homeschool used book store in Kirkland.

We started our homeschool journey there and LOVED it and still miss our wonderful friends we made there.

There are really no homeschool regs there either if you are independent-just test each year (you can do your own test!) and you do not have to report to anyone or give test results to anyone.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources , Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page