NY Homeschooling Laws? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DH and I came to the sad realization that with his work situation changing (for the better), it's going to be next to impossible for us to still live in Delaware with him in New York more and more. Already he's up there Friday thru Monday afternoon. We found a property we love that will work for our family size now, we'll be moving in early November if we can close the deal on it. The kids aren't really attached to this house thank goodness, maybe the change will be good for all of us. I'm not too broken up about it, things have changed so much in the last 6 months and some things I thought would be really great about being back in Delaware have instead stirred up a lot of unnecessary drama, but that's neither here nor there. The one thing I'm really dreading is homeschooling in NY.

Any homeschooling mamas in New York want to reassure me that the laws are not as draconian as they look on paper?

Edit to add: Connecticut and New Jersey are also possibilities, if for some reason our negotiations for the new place fall through. NJ seems to have a clear and easy law for HSing, but CT's makes me nervous. Anyone want to weigh in on whether or not the "suggestions" are just that?

Peaceful, homeschooling, UC/HBing, select vaxing, breastfeeding, intactivist mama to a bunch of small people.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 PM

We homeschool in NJ and there are virtually NO laws.  No one ever checks in, no testing, no requirements whatsoever...  I don't love NJ but I love HSing here!

Old 10-12-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

As bad as the NY regs look, they really aren't.  I've been homeschooling in New York City for over 8 years.  The homeschool office stays off my back, gives my son a free subway/bus pass, and pretty much everyone's paperwork is in compliance.  Outside the city may vary, but there are very active homeschool groups everywhere you can join for advice, support, and activities.

The paperwork itself is a non-issue.  All you need is a 2-sentence letter of intent, a general plan of instruction, 4 minimal quarterly reports (less than a page), and an annual assessment, which is just a re-worded quarterly report with a few highlights of the year thrown in.  Testing is done in 5th and 7th grades (and then 9th through 12th).  Most districts allow parents to administer the test themselves.  It's cheap, fast, and easy and results come in 2 weeks.  

I love homeschooling here mainly because of all the incredible resources, experiences, and opportunities the city (and beyond) has.  Ask me anything.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan
DD(18) Graduate of the (real) Fame school, now a Dance Theater major at a performing arts conservatory
DS(13) Experiential Charlotte Mason homeschooler
Old 10-12-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstripp2020 View Post

We homeschool in NJ and there are virtually NO laws.  No one ever checks in, no testing, no requirements whatsoever...  I don't love NJ but I love HSing here!

The NJ laws are attractive, but NJ itself will be a last resort, LOL. It's too crowded within an hour of the city!

Peaceful, homeschooling, UC/HBing, select vaxing, breastfeeding, intactivist mama to a bunch of small people.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citymomx3 View Post

As bad as the NY regs look, they really aren't.  I've been homeschooling in New York City for over 8 years.  The homeschool office stays off my back, gives my son a free subway/bus pass, and pretty much everyone's paperwork is in compliance.  Outside the city may vary, but there are very active homeschool groups everywhere you can join for advice, support, and activities.

The paperwork itself is a non-issue.  All you need is a 2-sentence letter of intent, a general plan of instruction, 4 minimal quarterly reports (less than a page), and an annual assessment, which is just a re-worded quarterly report with a few highlights of the year thrown in.  Testing is done in 5th and 7th grades (and then 9th through 12th).  Most districts allow parents to administer the test themselves.  It's cheap, fast, and easy and results come in 2 weeks.  

I love homeschooling here mainly because of all the incredible resources, experiences, and opportunities the city (and beyond) has.  Ask me anything.

Wow, thank you for the very helpfula nd encouraging post! I was blowing it out of proportion, it seems. I was thinking we'd have to list every material, how we use it, track progress in the same way a school would.

We're looking for a backup place at this point (sellers of the one we've got an offer in on are flaky as heck nono02.gif) and are concentrating around Eastern Putnam and SE corner of Dutchess counties, along with the Danbury area in CT. Kinda hoping some long time family friends of DH's will sell us their farmland in Ridgefield/N. Salem! Wherever we end up in the area, the city is the biggest attraction to me just because of all the opportunities it presents for my family at all ages.

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources
User Tag List