kids fighting!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-10-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just started homeschooling my 8 year old 2 months ago. I also have a 4 year old. The 4 year old seems jealous of the attention big sister gets and acts out. Big sister and I sit at the table and do school for 2 hours at a pop sometimes. Poor Ds is left to play on his own or watch TV. He is very active and prone to temper tantrums anyway, so these are getting more frequent.

Help! Any advice?
#2 of 6 Old 11-10-2013, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Maybe you could spread your 8 year old's homeschooling time out through the day more, so instead of doing 2 hours at a stretch you're just doing 15-30 minutes at a time.  If you have a partner who's home some of the time, maybe you could also do more homeschooling when your partner is there to help entertain the 4 year old.  Does the 4 year old go to bed earlier than the 8 year old?  If so, maybe you could get in some homeschooling in the evening after the 4 year old is in bed.

#3 of 6 Old 11-10-2013, 09:40 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Well yeah, of course he's jealous. Suddenly his sister is home and getting hours of one-on-one attention from you. This is the sort of thing you need to be pro-active about dealing with. It's totally natural for him to feel rejected, and you'll have to make a big effort to counteract that. You need to be doing new special things with him. You need to make him feel like his learning and his time with you are just as important and exclusive as his sister's. He has to feel like his needs matter even when his sister is hard at work. You may be focused on all the attention she needs because she's doing all this homeschooling, but if anything he'll need more attention than she will, because he's likely to be much less independent with his learning, self-care, emotional needs and play.

I'd make sure you don't have to leave him without some significant and meaningful interaction for any longer than half an hour ... even 20 minutes can be a stretch for a 4-year-old. I'd find him some special school-like activities that he can join you at the table for: fun tracing or colouring workbooks, a box of letter-matching puzzles, that sort of thing. I'd set aside at least a couple of special times when you focus exclusively on enriching his learning world one-on-one with you, preferably before giving his sister your time: fill his emotional need for attention and connection before you ask him to give you time with her. I'd try to find ways to move your 8-year-old's homeschooling in a more independent direction so that you're able to give her brother more attention while she's working. If there are things that you just have to get done one-on-one (I remember when my eldest was 8: for us it was her violin practicing that she really needed my help with, and that was really tough for her 5- and 3-year-old siblings to stay quiet and well-behaved for), see if you can make use of time on weekends or in the evenings when daddy is home to spend time with the preschooler. 

Get creative. Good luck! 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 6 Old 11-11-2013, 11:14 AM

Hmm does the 4 year old nap at all?

#5 of 6 Old 11-11-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Nah, only if we've been out All morning. I tried to include him in school this morning and after a bit he got bored and went and played... It seemed to work today atleast...home feeling like he had a choice, even if he didn't take it, to join us, really made a difference.

That's was today, who know tomorrow! :-)
#6 of 6 Old 12-18-2013, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
The best way I've found to work with my 12 yo uninterrupted is to stagger sleep times. Her 5yo sister stays up later, usually until I go to bed, so each gets me all to herself for awhile.

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page