Curriculum for 1st grader - New to homeschooling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-21-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

My son is currently in a public school, in kindergarten.  I am considering homeschooling him starting next September when he would be in 1st grade.  I have NO clue where to start with this.  I've been recommended to read the book What your 1st Grader Needs to Know, by E.D. Hirsch, but other than that, I am clueless regarding what curriculum to use, etc.  I don't even know what's out there.  I do know there is online schooling versus textbook learning.  I'm old school so I think I would prefer the use of books, but again, I am clueless as to what works best for a 1st grader.  My son is also very active and I wonder if I even would be able to do this!  I really want to give it a shot though.

Any information is so very appreciated!! :-)

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#2 of 2 Old 11-21-2013, 12:57 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon010 View Post

I am clueless as to what works best for a 1st grader.  My son is also very active ....

What works best depends on your particular 1st grader. That's the beauty of homeschooling: it's not constrained by classroom-management issues or by the need to cater to a wide range of kids. It can be exactly what works best for your ds, which is something you're in a position to know best. All kids are different. If he's very active, I would look beyond books and computers, and try to incorporate as much experiential, hands-on learning as you can. For instance, rather than finding a science program with pictures and worksheets, grow a garden! Most parents on this forum, and most I know in real life, use an eclectic approach, meaning they piece together a homeschooling program that works for their child and capitalizes on the particular resources and opportunities and interests they have available. They might have a specific currculum they like for language arts, and another one for math, while all their child's other learning may be much more project-based, experiential and interest-led.

My kids are all way beyond 1st grade now. We used absolutely no curriculum at that stage, except that I had Miquon Math materials around to use for math lab "guided discovery" whenever they wanted to "play with the math stuff." Their learning centred around music (they took violin or other instrument lessons), the natural world, daily family life, me reading aloud to them, imaginary play, community life and whatever they were interested in ... dinosaurs, Harry Potter, Japan, photography, anything at all, really.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Tags
Homeschooling , Education , Learning Resources

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page